Coral Princess 10-Day Panama Canal Partial Transit. D631 - Fiji Suite

Eagle_and_hawk

David, can you or any others here reassure me that, with the smaller International Cafe, we can still get the fresh baked croissants and pastries. We have our coffee card, and I am looking forward to the IC.

I seen both at the IC. It changes throughout the day. I was usually down there getting coffee between 5:30 - 6:00AM each morning and there was croissants and breakfast pasteries in the case. I thought I had a couple of pictures, but too much reflection from the glass cases.

Around lunch time, seen a couple of cold sandwiches and wraps, along with pasta/bean salads. In the late afternoon, seen more desserts.

There is one at the very front of Baja Deck. It says "no admittance", but on canal day, the staff wil let it open up for passengers to stand on. There are some pictures of the transit around the forums that show folks standing out there and you can see it's not a balcony cabin.
I hope you don't mind if I chime in here on your fabulous review to post a few photos showing the "secret door" area on Baja Deck forward since people have been asking about it. Just go all the way forward on either Baja or Caribe Decks and you'll come across this door:

7441484386_2773719815_z.jpg

Go through it and you'll be on a terrific outdoor deck which is great for viewing the Canal. The next 2 photos are going through Gatun Locks:

7222414886_022d4f822f_z.jpg

7228437002_e50caba7de_z.jpg

When you're not in a lock this area is still open, but not nearly as crowded. The next 2 photos are going through Culebra cut:

7802842472_f464e0afd6_z.jpg

7802794996_06cc638df0_z.jpg

I'm really enjoying your review. Our Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess is the best cruise we've been on.

I hope you don't mind if I chime in here on your fabulous review to post a few photos showing the "secret door" area on Baja Deck forward since people have been asking about it. Just go all the way forward on either Baja or Caribe Decks and you'll come across this door:

Go through it and you'll be on a terrific outdoor deck which is great for viewing the Canal. The next 2 photos are going through Gatun Locks:

When you're not in a lock this area is still open, but not nearly as crowded. The next 2 photos are going through Culebra cut:

I'm really enjoying your review. Our Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess is the best cruise we've been on.

Thanks for adding these pictures as knew I had seen them somewhere.

Our original mini-suite was on Baja, close to this door and planned on being out there until we went with the suite.

Always looked like the place to be, especially to get good pictures without the glass.

David, can you or any others here reassure me that, with the smaller International Cafe, we can still get the fresh baked croissants and pastries. We have our coffee card, and I am looking forward to the IC.

We are big fans of the IC, we start every day with a cup of coffee or latte and a treat to go with it. The variety of items on the Coral IC is not what it is on the larger ships. It seemed to change here and there. I also love the warm, freshly baked almond croissants on the larger ship IC. The items on the Coral are not baked right there and frankly were varying degrees of freshness. Loved having the IC, so just some things were better than others.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I usually try to not post pictures that are not very clear, however maybe able to tell a little from the

first one I took at the IC, some time during the cruise:

24834657309_4769bf6dbb_z.jpgg90 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

The second glass case was clearer. I regret not going back to take a few more through out the day while walking around:

25084077162_bbf67270c4_z.jpgg91 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

We were always looking to see what was in there, although just got desserts a couple of times after lunch

when something looked good while walking by.

Thanks for adding these pictures as knew I had seen them somewhere.

Always looked like the place to be, especially to get good pictures without the glass.

You're welcome. This is definitely the place to go if you want a forward view of the Canal. You're right about that annoying blue glass on the upper decks. It really detracts from your view, especially if you want to take some pictures. They're a great wind break on a sea day, but on Canal day, they're annoying.

Thursday - February 11th.

The seas were angry this morning.

24863402571_6683e7ce3b_z.jpgLimon by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

There was a lot more ship movement last night as we were getting closer to Limon, Costa Rica.

We woke up to see us sailing into darker skies and rougher looking waters.

We had an excursion planned that was almost all outside, and the weather was not looking favorable.

We had to be off early, and had breakfast delivered again at 6:30AM.

It arrived on time, and just as we sat down for a quick bite, the Captain came on the intercom to give an update.

He was in contact with the port authority and they were reporting 30 knot winds, with 10 foot swells.

A few minutes later, he came back on to tell us the decision had been made to not risk trying to dock.

This changed today into a sea day, and we turned towards the Cayman Islands.

They had a new daily patter printed and delivered to the mailboxes in a couple of hours, with some photocopies at the PAX desk sooner.

The patter was the same after around lunch time, since that's when most were to be back on board.

This is the updated patter for the sea day:

25107989551_1c84a714ac_z.jpgG1 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24905596610_032caa4136_z.jpgG2 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24570563104_4153337435_z.jpgG3 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24570562934_d74537a00a_z.jpgG4 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Since it's another sea day, we picked out some things in the patter to do during the day and relaxed.

I did notice tonight was Crab Shack night again:

24844522559_ca20bc77ac_z.jpgg20 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

We did not go ourselves as not a fan of Crab.

If it had been Scallop Shack, then would have been first person in line.

I decided to include a few more pictures around the ship of public areas,

for those who have not sailed on her.

The Wheelhouse bar is a favorite as I like anything nautical.

This is the area outside the main entrance and one of the

many things we like about the coral is the extra seating outside the lounges:

24844522519_57fa41328b_z.jpgg21 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24916586760_47df5b5815_z.jpgg23 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

25093933022_c7df1a4664_z.jpgg24 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Once inside, there is comfortable seating and also a dance floor in

which a couple different bands were there throughout the evening.

Earlier in the evenings before the live entertainment was there,

I believe there was pre-recorded ball room dancing music.

It's listed with times in various patters.

24916586680_9f1934cea6_z.jpgg25 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24916586660_b11191acf6_z.jpgg26 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

There is also the other entrance to Wheelhouse, just off the elevators.

25093932982_0e55a98233_z.jpgg27 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Just to the left in that picture, through that opening is two small sitting areas that would be nice to sit in, if you wanted to hear the music,

but not be in the middle of it.

Good locations for couples card playing or just relax out of the flow of the main entrance.

It was quiet in here and rarely seen anyone sitting in here.

There was some old nautical items on the wall that was interesting to read.

25118979591_db280a3633_z.jpgg28 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

25118979581_5dc2073aa2_z.jpgg29 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

This is also where they had the Buy-one-get-one for a $1 drinks from 3:00 - 4:0PM.

That is when it was most crowded and they did give out raffle tickets

each night for a couple of drawings the last night for some bottles of wine.

The atrium also had some remodeling done during the dry dock and a few pictures of it.

25185904016_2d3e1c684e_z.jpgg30 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

25093932932_af77847647_z.jpgg31 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24844522339_f4d07eea46_z.jpgg33 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

25185903976_de98965a55_z.jpgg34 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

One of the Champagne waterfall being set up:

25118979521_bd092e35ee_z.jpgg32 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

We were in the Universe Lounge several times during the cruise for various events.

I may have posted some of these earlier in discussing the dry-dock, although a few more that may not be there.

It has the main floor with the stage & also balcony area on the deck above, so two entrances with staircases inside:

From upstairs, looking down on the stage:

25118979401_f56147014e_z.jpgg35 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24916586390_2960a31724_z.jpgg38 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

The upstairs sitting areas:

25212205515_4feb960c7f_z.jpgg37 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

25212205575_8bb7764857_z.jpgg36 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

25118979341_64344a8575_z.jpgg39 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Dinner this night was Italian theme and the servers were dressed up in the red and white stripped shirts.

It was a nice change from the last 3-4 days that was Caribbean themed menus.

The menus for 2/11:

25082955272_6223dab67e_z.jpgG5 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24905596310_8e57529641_z.jpgG6 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24574411633_8065a4996c_z.jpgG7 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

We had a bottle of wine tonight, sent to us by Michele Castiglioni, the Hotel General Manager.

It was a nice surprise and went well with the Italian dinner.

25212686135_6ee3c66747_z.jpgg57 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

This was an item that was not on the menu, that the servers were preparing near by.

I don't recall what they called it, but did have a little to start the meal.

We thought it was good and somewhat spicy.

It would have been really good with scallops and shrimp in it.

24917067080_07a5d1070f_z.jpgg53 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Melanzaine alla Parmigiana

grilled eggplant, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese gratin and basil leaves

25094412632_fe71bcfc97_z.jpgg50 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Pasta e Fagioli

simmered red beans, pasta soup crouton

25186383986_d73b4ba9c8_z.jpgg51 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Minestrone all' Ortolana

Traditional Italian vegetable soup with pesto crouton

25212686175_f6909cf90a_z.jpgg52 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Capesante e Gamberi Gratinati

Sea scallops and shrimp, light cream sauce, gratinated with fluffy whipped potatoes

25186383916_08f93f74ce_z.jpgg54 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Filetto di Salmon alla Griglia

Swiss chard, caponata, saffron-infused potatoes

24844999549_26a8775272_z.jpgg55 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

And for dessert, of course:

Tiramisu

espresso, zabaglione cream, bittersweet cocoa.

25119461901_ced41fdbf8_z.jpgg56 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Tomorrow is Friday, another scheduled sea day.

Every day you add makes me more excited for this October.

I am glad you are enjoying it. I am a little concerned it's too picture intensive, although I am trying to at least describe each picture a little to help those who have not sailed on the Coral before.

I am sure you will have a great trip in October as we are already thinking about our trip back to Alaska next year.:)

I am glad you are enjoying it. I am a little concerned it's too picture intensive, although I am trying to at least describe each picture a little to help those who have not sailed on the Coral before.

I am sure you will have a great trip in October as we are already thinking about our trip back to Alaska next year.:)

Oh no.........please keep the pictures coming .. :D Loving all your comments and the pictures. Like they say " a picture is worth a thousand words "

Yes, I too am becoming more excited with anticipation of our cruise on the Coral. I didn't mean for you to go back and post more pictures!!! But, yes, the pictures are wonderful. And, now I know what those doors look like! I am vertically challenged, and also want to find areas away from the blue glass windbreaks!.

Your extensive and wonderful review has been a blessing.

Italian night is one night that we would probably plan to do specialty dining. But, your photos and the menu look great!

Edited by Wishing on a star

Hello, David.

Thank you for all the excellent information and scans. We leave for the same cruise on the Coral March 6. I'm using your information to plan our dinners and activities.

A couple of questions:

1. Since our cruise will be identical to you, does anyone know if the activities and menus stay the same?

2. Your scan of page 3 of the Feb 9 Patter is identical to your scan of page 3 of the day before, Feb 8. I expect that is not what you intended. Do you have the correct scan, and do you know which day is correct?

Thank you, and keep 'em coming, please.

Kevin

Hello, David.

Thank you for all the excellent information and scans. We leave for the same cruise on the Coral March 6. I'm using your information to plan our dinners and activities.

A couple of questions:

1. Since our cruise will be identical to you, does anyone know if the activities and menus stay the same?

2. Your scan of page 3 of the Feb 9 Patter is identical to your scan of page 3 of the day before, Feb 8. I expect that is not what you intended. Do you have the correct scan, and do you know which day is correct?

Thank you, and keep 'em coming, please.

Kevin

First question might be good for someone on the cruise before us to see how close they are.

My impression is they keep them pretty close to the same during the same season.

The menus, at the bottom, actually are noted in the lower right hand corner as ## of the 15 day Caribbean,

so also assume they are somewhat standard across more cruises than just this one.

As for #2 - I knew the copy & paste would eventually get me somewhere

with all the quick posting in a row :)

This is the correct one for 2/9:

24835254690_6dbfc78524_z.jpgE3 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Friday - February 12th.

Today is another sea day and formal night in the MDR. It's also lobster night and have been looking forward to it.

The Daily patters for today:

24593053563_bc712fdd78_z.jpgH1 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

25101607312_ec3046be87_z.jpgH2 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24589214964_e2e276430a_z.jpgH3 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

25126659271_506beed98e_z.jpgh4 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Since it's a sea day, no advance plans except see what is happening onboard,

read some books on the iPad, and more relaxation.

Sitting out on the promenade deck in a lounger is a great way to watch the world pass by.

We decided to attend the cooking show in the Universe theather.

We have watched Iron Chef and some of the other Food network shows through the years, and looked like something to do.

It was the cruise director versus one of the main chefs.

We are glad we went as was enjoyable and there was one

more later in the cruise just making desserts.

24589669033_1d070a3b00_z.jpgh15 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24589665393_cc8363d4e5_z.jpgh16 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

By this time in the cruise, we had heard most all the bands and were heading to different lounges after dinner to listen.

We thought all three of these were good, along with the piano players.

The band Xtasea was at sail away and in Explorer's Lounge most nights. They played a good variety of music everywhere we heard them play.

24921264090_268059f35c_z.jpgh31 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

25216863385_180c4dc610_z.jpgh30 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

The Coral Princess Orchestra was also good.

25190576866_e6ca2736dc_z.jpgh33 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

We missed the one night they played with Ray Coussins in the Princess theather as that would have been a great evening of music.

We did catch a little towards the end and not much seating available.

Gemstone was in the Wheelhouse Lounge most evenings and enjoyed their music several times.

25123631491_84deb5a6ca_z.jpgh32 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

I am in the process of trying to convert & upload to youtube a sample of these bands

performing, just so others can get an idea of the music onboard for upcoming cruises.

Music is a lot like food, very subjective as what different folks like.