Is Oceana really that bad?

vinoblanco

We had a lovely cruise on Aurora at New Year and thought she was looking good and all our food was very nice indeed in the MDRs. No complaints at all about that.

We enjoyed a short cruise on Oceana in November and whereas she is not my favourite ship and I do think she needs some TLC on the outside, this is no way detracted from our enjoyment and once again, we had no complaints at all about any of the food whether in the MDR or in the buffet.

Edited by Scriv

We generally found the food on Britannia over Christmas/New Year to be good (sometimes better in the buffet than MDR), but there were only a couple of dishes that I found really delicious. The thing that did annoy me (because I'm a keen cook and also involved in the food industry professionally) was dishes not matching the descriptions on the menu.

Salad described as coming with a raspberry vinaigrette had no dressing at all, the praline sauce served with a dessert was in fact caramel, and the béarnaise that was supposed to accompany DH's steak on several nights was a hollandaise. When DH queried this with the maitre d' one night, the next time he ordered steak the sauce had one or two flecks of green in it, but still wasn't béarnaise. Time after that it was back to hollandaise again. These are just three of many examples throughout the cruise. If I'd returned my food every time it did not match the menu description, well, the waiter would have been like a yo-yo.

If I were being very uncharitable, I would say P&O thinks its customer are not sufficiently clued up to know whether they are getting béarnaise or hollandaise. If I were being mildly uncharitable, I would say the chefs do not understand what they are supposed to be cooking/serving. Being charitable, the head chef does not run a tight enough ship.

The only real disappointment was Christmas dinner - 1 small, soggy roast potato, bullet-hard veg, 1 slice of turkey breast, but the dark meat (my fave) dried out in a massive puff pastry case. :0(

I didn't let it spoil my enjoyment of the cruise or, as others have said, the fact that for 14 days over Christmas someone else was cooking, clearing and washing up, but it did niggle me a bit.

Some further reflections on food served P&O ships (breakfast, lunch, dinner) :

Is it edible?

Yes. At least of the standard you'll get in an average pub.

Do the menu choices appeal to me?

Yes. Typical, down to earth British food which I am used to. Breakfast is particularly good in comparison to American cruise lines.

Do I like the deserts?

Yes. Again a British touch. Some great deserts, some not so great but overall ones that I enjoy. Custard disappoints and I could easily find ones to avoid. Same time there are ones which are excellent.

Have I ever been on a P&O cruise where I have gone hungry or generally disliked the food on offer?

No. Always found items I like and enjoy.

Is it top class meals served every night of the highest quality, attention to detail and execution?

No. Not in the MDR or buffet. Some of the meals in speciality restaurants have been very good. Meals served on formal nights have often been very good.

Conclusion : Some highs and lows but no worse than what you will find in Weatherspoons. Some of the meals are significantly better.

We have been on the Celebrity Silhouette when she was brand new and can honestly say that we have never had a better cruise than the ones we have had on Oceana. We had a fabulous cruise last Easter and booked for a 2 week cruise in the Med. this August within weeks of coming home.

Ok she isn't the newest ship but we absolutely love her and the atrium is just amazing. A super ship (NOT the newest) but fabulous itineraries, great food, great crew and just something 'special'

Don't listen to the moaners :)

We have done about 8 P&O cruises and have to say that the food has gone down in quality. Last year on Oriana, there were nights when I found the choice to be awful. Roast Lamb, Roast venison, roast duck, all with broccoli and something else. the fish dish was either trout (which I dislike) or sea bass (which I also dislike). So I chose from the always available. The steak was fine, but I am not a big meat eater, so really don't want either steak or roast meats every night. Oh for a lovely unusual chicken dish, maye with an Italian sauce, or even sole, or haddock which isn't done in strange sauces.

Desserts, creme brulee is supposed to have a hard top, it was totally soggy.

will be interesting to see if the menu has changed when we are next on board in October. In the meantime, we are on Fred, so will see if there is a difference.

Did I go hungry on P&O, no of course not, but then I only want a starter and a main. Might even go to two starters next time. It would be better.

Edited by jeanlyon

I'm with Jean regarding MDR food. We now only eat in MDR on formal nights and all other nights are either speciality or buffet - yes we do prefer buffet to MDR! I have been on all the ships except Azura. Oceana was my least favourite ship and we won't sail on her again. In my opinion the food, ship and entertainment was below the average P&O standard. My preferred ships are Arcadia and Britannia (in term time). Funny how we all seem to have such different experiences.

Edited by Florry