Distilled water

You do not have to bring the distilled water. They will supply it for you. You can call Royal Caribbean and they will make a note on your reservation that you will need it for your CPAP Machine. My husband and I both have them and they will supply it for you. If you do not call Royal Caribbean you can just ask your room steward and they will bring to your cabin.

Wendy

I needed the extension lead. It came with a bottle of distilled water. No idea why distilled water is necessary for cpap, the tap water is fine. I did note this in the booking but had to remind the cabin steward. He had it there before the first night.

I needed the extension lead. It came with a bottle of distilled water. No idea why distilled water is necessary for cpap, the tap water is fine. I did note this in the booking but had to remind the cabin steward. He had it there before the first night.

To answer your question. Distilled water is mineral, contaminate, and bacteria free unlike tap water.

Tap water will leave a residue over time in the water chamber and can also corrode the metal in the chamber.

Personally, given the facts, I prefer to breathe in air with no contaminants if possible.

To answer your question. Distilled water is mineral, contaminate, and bacteria free unlike tap water.

Tap water will leave a residue over time in the water chamber and can also corrode the metal in the chamber.

Personally, given the facts, I prefer to breathe in air with no contaminants if possible.

Having studied and worked with water that is not entirely correct.

Distilled water will not have minerals in it. That will prevent any scale building up in the tank over time, but that is easy to clean. I am lucky that my tap water is very soft so no problem there..

As for other contaminants, it depends what they are. If they are in solution and have a boiling point equal to or lower than water they will remain. It very much depends on the analysis of the distilled water and it's intended use.

Distilled water can have bacteria in it and sometimes more than tap water unless you get sterile water.

Pure water will also have quite low pH (I have seen it down well below 3) unless it is stored in a vacuum or with an inert gas.

The water on the ship will be desalinated and so is probably the product of reverse osmosis, so it will meet the standards for drinking water for contaminants and microbiology. I am sure that it would need to be tested regularly.

Anyway there is no harm done by using it when supplied but I would not be paying to get distilled water for home and would not bother about it on board either.

... The water on the ship will be desalinated and so is probably the product of reverse osmosis ....

I've read that the potable water on the ship is a combination of reverse osmosis, desalination, and fresh water loaded in ports.

Distilled water will not have minerals in it. That will prevent any scale building up in the tank over time, but that is easy to clean. I am lucky that my tap water is very soft so no problem there..

As for other contaminants, it depends what they are. If they are in solution and have a boiling point equal to or lower than water they will remain. It very much depends on the analysis of the distilled water and it's intended use.

Distilled water can have bacteria in it and sometimes more than tap water unless you get sterile water.

Pure water will also have quite low pH (I have seen it down well below 3) unless it is stored in a vacuum or with an inert gas.

The water on the ship will be desalinated and so is probably the product of reverse osmosis, so it will meet the standards for drinking water for contaminants and microbiology. I am sure that it would need to be tested regularly.

Anyway there is no harm done by using it when supplied but I would not be paying to get distilled water for home and would not bother about it on board either.

Just so you know, my post clearly says distilled water is mineral free.

I have been in the industry myself for over 30 years and am very aware of what the water research shows. The medical side of it is also very clear on the subject. Your free to use tap water just as I am to use distilled.

It is a fact that tap water will have some levels of bacteria, minerals, and living organisms in it.

Distilled water in its purest form will not. As to whatever process cruise ships use to treat their water I have no idea. I prefer to use the safest form available in my cpap, especially considering I am inhaling the moisture the chamber provides. I prefer to minimize the risk of whatever bacteria or organisms might be in the tap water.

Edited by cruisingsince94

I did get a gallon of Distilled Water. It was for industrial use, not medical.

I have done microbiological tests on all sorts of water and other than those which are sterile, they all have bacteria. Then bacteria are everywhere. We breathe them all the time. We had to make sure they were within tolerance as the water would come in close proximity to blood.

Does anyone know if I can bring distilled water on the serenade. My husband needs it for his breathing machine.

I use a BIPAP machine. I don't need distilled water but it was provided anyway.

Good to notify RCL ahead of time if you are going to take and use a medical device like a breathing machine. I don't believe there is any need to take your own distilled water and in the worse case tap water would do no harm.

I prefer not to use the humidifier as it is too much hassle. It does mean that sometimes I wake up with a dry mouth and end up drinking water instead.

Edited by yuvraj

Does anyone know if I can bring distilled water on the serenade. My husband needs it for his breathing machine.

I have a cpap and I notify special needs and they provide a extension cord and water. At home I just use tap water and the tap water on the ship is "distilled" they use both flash evaporators and reverse osmosis to make the potable water on the ship. Both of these technologies result in very low mineral content of the water.

Pure Water with a pH of 3, good grief!

pH in pure water really has no meaning because it has no ionic strength. The pH drops because it absorbs carbon dioxide from the air and it disassociates in solution to carbonic acid. If get some pH paper an put it in distilled water and blow bubbles into it is will drop the pH and change the paper color. Soda water is low pH because of the super saturation of the water with CO2.

My husband uses a BiPap and we do request from special needs water and extension cord. The outlets are either hidden or across the room usually. He also has a 10 ft hose in the travel case, sometimes the machine and he are a distance apart. Cpap/BiPap uses will understand that. Suggestion is to also bring a 3 prong adapter ( carry that with us always) outlet are sparse. We can recharge other items during the night. Have a GREAT cruise.

Just so you know, my post clearly says distilled water is mineral free.

I have been in the industry myself for over 30 years and am very aware of what the water research shows. The medical side of it is also very clear on the subject. Your free to use tap water just as I am to use distilled.

Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine

Association of CPAP Bacterial Colonization with Chronic Rhinosinusitis

In our study, we hypothesized that those patients who had positive microbacterial cultures in their CPAP reservoir would have symptomatology of CRS more frequently than those who did not, as a result of the humidified air “seeding” the nasal cavity and sinuses with the microbes present in the reservoir. However, the study results did not support this hypothesis— CRS symptoms were mild in all patients (whether CPAP culture positive or negative), and despite demonstration of some unusual flora in the CPAP reservoir, there did not appear to be an association between CPAP microbiology and CRS symptoms. Having a positive culture in the CPAP reservoir does not seem to lead to an increased symptomatology of CRS. This could be interpreted that although the reservoirs often become colonized, there seems to be no clinical impact.

In addition many of our immune problems are associated with living in to clean of environment. We need to spend morn time in barnyards and less time in clean houses. Think of it this way Native Americans were wiped by European diseases because they did not have any domesticated animals to force a more robust immunity to "natural" diseases.

Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine

Association of CPAP Bacterial Colonization with Chronic Rhinosinusitis

In our study, we hypothesized that those patients who had positive microbacterial cultures in their CPAP reservoir would have symptomatology of CRS more frequently than those who did not, as a result of the humidified air “seeding” the nasal cavity and sinuses with the microbes present in the reservoir. However, the study results did not support this hypothesis— CRS symptoms were mild in all patients (whether CPAP culture positive or negative), and despite demonstration of some unusual flora in the CPAP reservoir, there did not appear to be an association between CPAP microbiology and CRS symptoms. Having a positive culture in the CPAP reservoir does not seem to lead to an increased symptomatology of CRS. This could be interpreted that although the reservoirs often become colonized, there seems to be no clinical impact.

In addition many of our immune problems are associated with living in to clean of environment. We need to spend morn time in barnyards and less time in clean houses. Think of it this way Native Americans were wiped by European diseases because they did not have any domesticated animals to force a more robust immunity to "natural" diseases.

My comments have nothing to do with CRS. The question risen was in regard to using tap water, known to have bacteria present or distilled water which does not. I prefer inhaling less bacteria so I use distilled. What's the point of your post?

Do you have a degree in microbiology and work in water research? I can put up study after study confirming my position on the matter but I am not trying to bore people with posts not pertaining to cruising or the OP.