Cozumel pharmacies

Jrb434

We got ours after our jeep tour; once we were in the store, it took maybe 10 minutes or less to get the meds, very similar to picking them up at a pharmacy in the U.S. The store was very close to our dock The people in the pharmacy spoke little to no English,so communication was iffy but we had the bottles/packages from the medicines we wanted.

Having the name of the medication plus dosage would be important.

Just back from 6 days on RC Freedom of the Seas. I was able to purchase a Retin-A in Costa Maya at the Farmacia in the port with the other stores for cruisers. $26.50 for branded Janssen retin a .05%, 40 gm tube. I bought more Retin-a in Cozumel at the Farmacia across the street from the cruise terminal, about midway between the international and porto maya terminals. Brand name Retin-a for $28, 40 gm tube, and generic 30 gm tubes for $9 each. My daughter and I both use it and i bought 2 tubes for each of us, based on comments in this thread. But we didn’t have to declare it at FLL customs so maybe I could have gotten more.

• 5 months later...

:p

I've used Discount Drugs and Souvenir shop for years and never been disappointed. Owned by Bobbie and Fernando and Bobbie is originally from Canada so or course she speaks perfect English. They just moved to a new location very convenient from the International Pier at #341 Rafael Melgar between 6th and 8th Avenue on the waterfront. Very clean and modern. If you know what you want you can email the store and they will even have it ready for you and you can ask them for prices. If anyone needs their email address I will post it.

I would like the email address

Thanks

• 5 months later...
On 8/24/2017 at 9:36 AM, nyllrap said:

Those are the exact 2 meds I want, as they both cost a fortune in the US. I will be in Cozumel in early September and hope to pick some up.

I am responding to this old thread hoping someone has more current info. We will be in cozumel next month and I am hoping to stock up on my inhalers. I would love guidance on where to go. We will be on a carnival excursion to chank. 

We just went in September. We typically go once a year at least now to Cozumel. Some items are better priced in Belize and all of this is typically available also in Costa Maya. There are still plenty of places to go and all near the two different piers (they are a couple of miles apart - there are taxis everywhere). We go to both the pharmacies discussed - the 'Mega' and the 'Discount Drugs & Souvenirs'. It is worth price checking all the shops you see because each does have different prices and product line. 'Discount' is still owned by Bobbie and she is a great lady - she is very helpful and also fluent in English (which can help). I got the bulk of my meds from her and then just a few others from 'Mega'. 

Inhalers are always something I get - my copay here is $70 per inhaler - they are only $7 there. 

My big item is an antibiotic called Flagyl - here my copay is $175 for 1 round. There, at 'Mega', it can be found for $5 and the box contains 2 rounds! That is a massive difference! I have to use this a few times a year, so that makes up a huge chunk. 

All of the men's enhancement drugs can be found everywhere, especially sildenafil. ***** is the hardest to find and there is wide price differences on that one. I've been told (I'm not a man) that the generic ***** is not as strong and a higher dosage is needed for it - so buy extra. 

We also bring back estrogen for my mother who can't afford it here with her insurance. Over there, a 2 month supply is $20. 

When you count in the costs of copays, doctors visits, blood work and everything, you really can save a small fortune by getting things down there as opposed to here in the states. Some doctors and pharmacies warn against the safety, but we have been doing this for years and have had only positive results from it - likewise from everyone we have talked to both on and off ship. 

Good luck and enjoy!! Cozumel is our favorite cruise port for so many reasons and we've gone all over the west and east caribbean (still got the south to do).

9 hours ago, Jrb434 said:

We just went in September. We typically go once a year at least now to Cozumel. Some items are better priced in Belize and all of this is typically available also in Costa Maya. There are still plenty of places to go and all near the two different piers (they are a couple of miles apart - there are taxis everywhere). We go to both the pharmacies discussed - the 'Mega' and the 'Discount Drugs & Souvenirs'. It is worth price checking all the shops you see because each does have different prices and product line. 'Discount' is still owned by Bobbie and she is a great lady - she is very helpful and also fluent in English (which can help). I got the bulk of my meds from her and then just a few others from 'Mega'. 

Inhalers are always something I get - my copay here is $70 per inhaler - they are only $7 there. 

My big item is an antibiotic called Flagyl - here my copay is $175 for 1 round. There, at 'Mega', it can be found for $5 and the box contains 2 rounds! That is a massive difference! I have to use this a few times a year, so that makes up a huge chunk. 

All of the men's enhancement drugs can be found everywhere, especially sildenafil. ***** is the hardest to find and there is wide price differences on that one. I've been told (I'm not a man) that the generic ***** is not as strong and a higher dosage is needed for it - so buy extra. 

We also bring back estrogen for my mother who can't afford it here with her insurance. Over there, a 2 month supply is $20. 

When you count in the costs of copays, doctors visits, blood work and everything, you really can save a small fortune by getting things down there as opposed to here in the states. Some doctors and pharmacies warn against the safety, but we have been doing this for years and have had only positive results from it - likewise from everyone we have talked to both on and off ship. 

Good luck and enjoy!! Cozumel is our favorite cruise port for so many reasons and we've gone all over the west and east caribbean (still got the south to do).

Thank you thank you thank you!

Can I ask you what Inhaler you use that is $7 there? I use ventolin (albuteral) and flovent. I can get the ventolin here for $30 copay but the flovent is over $200 for my terrible insurance. If I could stock up in cozumel, it would pay for our next cruise, lol. 

Is there a limit on how much you can get?

What is the process to get an antibiotic? I use one about twice a year and have no issue getting it from my dr...but will pay $300 for the visit to get the $10 med.  I like zithromyacin. 

And when you get a taxi... Do you know the address of the location? Or do you just tell the taxi driver to take you to the pharmacy you want?

Thank you for any guidance. This is all new to me!

1 hour ago, BENHANDEL said:

Thank you thank you thank you!

Can I ask you what Inhaler you use that is $7 there? I use ventolin (albuteral) and flovent. I can get the ventolin here for $30 copay but the flovent is over $200 for my terrible insurance. If I could stock up in cozumel, it would pay for our next cruise, lol. 

Is there a limit on how much you can get?

What is the process to get an antibiotic? I use one about twice a year and have no issue getting it from my dr...but will pay $300 for the visit to get the $10 med.  I like zithromyacin. 

And when you get a taxi... Do you know the address of the location? Or do you just tell the taxi driver to take you to the pharmacy you want?

Thank you for any guidance. This is all new to me!

No problem... I looked back at my list and I paid $30 for a 3 pack of ventolin.. they do carry the flovent (called by breo) for $78... I would price check that at the other pharmacies before buying from Discount as it seems a bit high. 

Many different antibiotics are available. Just ask whomever is working the counter... Bobbi at Discount will be very helpful. I didnt see it on my list, but doesnt mean they dont have it. 

There isn't necessarily a limit but just be aware that anything can be confiscated. We usually take empty prescription bottles with us and refill those to be safe. Anything unsealed, keep in your carryon. 

Most everything is available on the store shelves as if you were walking into a convenient store. There isnt anything shady or back door.. its very commonplace. Which may surprise many at first. 

We found it helpful to have addresses although most taxis will be happy to take you to any pharmacy and will push to take you to whomever gives them the highest commission. That was why I took addresses, in case someone wanted to play dumb. 

Feel free to ask whatever. I will be happy to help answer whatever I can. 

1 hour ago, Jrb434 said:

There isn't necessarily a limit but just be aware that anything can be confiscated. We usually take empty prescription bottles with us and refill those to be safe. Anything unsealed, keep in your carryon. 

We found it helpful to have addresses although most taxis will be happy to take you to any pharmacy and will push to take you to whomever gives them the highest commission. That was why I took addresses, in case someone wanted to play dumb. 

Feel free to ask whatever. I will be happy to help answer whatever I can. 

Thank you so much! The rx bottle tip is great!

How would I know the addresses for "reputable" pharmacies? I definitely plan to check out discount drug...but I just googled it and I can't figure out an address. Can you point me in the right direction? 

8 hours ago, BENHANDEL said:

How would I know the addresses for "reputable" pharmacies? I definitely plan to check out discount drug...but I just googled it and I can't figure out an address. Can you point me in the right direction? 

I tried to message you privately, but I guess it doesn't allow us to do that. 

One is Discount Drugstore & Souvenir Shop. It is about a 2 mile taxi ride @ $8 from Puerto Maya pier, where Carnival ships dock. We are on the waterfront, Rafael Melgar between 6 and 8th Avenue. They are right beside the well known Italian restaurant, Gudios. All taxi drivers are familiar with this restaurant as a reference.

Mega pharmacy, as I recall is by the other cruise dock but I cannot remember the location. There are several near Mega. 

I attached 2 photos - 1 of the card showing a map to Discount and the other is a photo of the inside of Discount (gives you an idea of what I mean when I say it's set up like a convenient store). Most of the pharmacies are the same. 

If you are able to private message me somehow I can give you Bobbi's email and you are able to contact her directly and ask about pricing and stock availability. -- Usually I hit her store last because a few of her prices are higher than other stores. But, from what I've seen, she has the bigger selection as well. 

discount drug photo.png

discount drug store card.JPG

10 hours ago, BENHANDEL said:

MEGA

Av. Rafael E. Melgar 799, Centro, 77600 San Miguel de Cozumel

You can put this address into Google maps to find location. It is at the other end of town from the Drugstore.

Here is the website for the Drugstore.

http://www.cozumeldrugstore.com/#location

These are both in town - a taxi ride from Puerta Maya, if that is where you dock. There are smaller pharmacies in and around the port but I have no experience with them.

Edited by c-leg5

On 11/26/2018 at 7:12 AM, Jrb434 said:

I tried to message you privately, but I guess it doesn't allow us to do that. 

One is Discount Drugstore & Souvenir Shop. It is about a 2 mile taxi ride @ $8 from Puerto Maya pier, where Carnival ships dock. We are on the waterfront, Rafael Melgar between 6 and 8th Avenue. They are right beside the well known Italian restaurant, Gudios. All taxi drivers are familiar with this restaurant as a reference.

Mega pharmacy, as I recall is by the other cruise dock but I cannot remember the location. There are several near Mega. 

I attached 2 photos - 1 of the card showing a map to Discount and the other is a photo of the inside of Discount (gives you an idea of what I mean when I say it's set up like a convenient store). Most of the pharmacies are the same. 

If you are able to private message me somehow I can give you Bobbi's email and you are able to contact her directly and ask about pricing and stock availability. -- Usually I hit her store last because a few of her prices are higher than other stores. But, from what I've seen, she has the bigger selection as well. 

Thank you so much! CC does not allow pm-ing...

Earlier this year, someone posted Bobbi's email address. Assuming that has not changed, I will try to contact her. 

On 11/26/2018 at 9:26 AM, c-leg5 said:

MEGA

Av. Rafael E. Melgar 799, Centro, 77600 San Miguel de Cozumel

You can put this address into Google maps to find location. It is at the other end of town from the Drugstore.

Here is the website for the Drugstore.

http://www.cozumeldrugstore.com/#location

These are both in town - a taxi ride from Puerta Maya, if that is where you dock. There are smaller pharmacies in and around the port but I have no experience with them.

Thank you both so much! 

Another question...are typical US OTC meds any cheaper there? I remember when I could get a bottle of 100 sudafedrine for $4. Thanks to those who have abused it, that is also much harder to access. 

Would also be interested on allergy meds...

11 hours ago, BENHANDEL said:

Thank you so much! CC does not allow pm-ing...

Earlier this year, someone posted Bobbi's email address. Assuming that has not changed, I will try to contact her. 

Thank you both so much! 

Her correct email is on the website that was posted! 🙂 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, BENHANDEL said:

Another question...are typical US OTC meds any cheaper there? I remember when I could get a bottle of 100 sudafedrine for $4. Thanks to those who have abused it, that is also much harder to access. 

Would also be interested on allergy meds...

I did not see sudafedrine on my list, but she may carry it anyways. When you email her or see her, just ask... 

Allegra 40tabs is $7-9 (depending on strength)

Benadryl 30 tabs for $5

Claratin 100 tabs for $22

Claritin D - 10 tabs for $8.75

Nasonex 140 doses for $37

Singulair 20 tabs for $7

Zyrtec 100 tabs for $30 

given that we can get many of these generics at our dollar tree (exception being singulair and claritin d), it's not worth it for us -- Singulair is also free at publix. The claritin D is only slightly cheaper than the name brand here... personally, I don't buy allergy stuff because I can get it here cheaper or almost as cheap - so I don't waste the bag space. 

9 hours ago, Jrb434 said:

I did not see sudafedrine on my list, but she may carry it anyways. When you email her or see her, just ask... 

Allegra 40tabs is $7-9 (depending on strength)

Benadryl 30 tabs for $5

Claratin 100 tabs for $22

Claritin D - 10 tabs for $8.75

Nasonex 140 doses for $37

Singulair 20 tabs for $7

Zyrtec 100 tabs for $30 

given that we can get many of these generics at our dollar tree (exception being singulair and claritin d), it's not worth it for us -- Singulair is also free at publix. The claritin D is only slightly cheaper than the name brand here... personally, I don't buy allergy stuff because I can get it here cheaper or almost as cheap - so I don't waste the bag space. 

Thank you for that information. Agree that it's not worth the bag space.

• 2 weeks later...

Be sure to check the expiration date.  I got home and found the Retin-A I purchased was expired.  I still used it and my face did not melt. Haha

Check out the pharmacy at MEGA, they have most of what you might look for and it is the best price, as I have checked.  Once my friend got sick day one of a seven day cruise.  Took her to the infirmary and she received IV meds every day and in Coz was ordered off the boat and not to return until we had a bill of health from one of the two hospitals on the island.  The first two pharmacies were crazy expensive for antibiotics (and I WAS checking, Retin-A, *****-for friends!, etc.), and last stop was MEGA, where they had it all and it was reasonable.  Next door to MEGA is La Europea, their best liquor store on the island.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, motherchic said:

Do you know if you the pharmacies sell Prednisone?

Its cheap here in the US, but not easy to get a prescription for it. I have RA and when it flares prednisone is a life saver 

my list has it on there in 5mg and 20mg tablets... it is listed under asthma though, is that its main purpose? 

100 tabs is listed at $26 for the 20mg and $20 for the 5mg... its an older list so i cannot vouch for same pricing but gives you an idea at least.

22 minutes ago, Jrb434 said:

my list has it on there in 5mg and 20mg tablets... it is listed under asthma though, is that its main purpose? 

100 tabs is listed at $26 for the 20mg and $20 for the 5mg... its an older list so i cannot vouch for same pricing but gives you an idea at least.

j - is this a list which one can get vis-a-vis email from the pharmacies or something proprietary you have gotten when purchasing on site?

Thank you and bon voyage

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

j - is this a list which one can get vis-a-vis email from the pharmacies or something proprietary you have gotten when purchasing on site?

Thank you and bon voyage

it was one I was emailed right before my last trip (sept 2018)...that way she could have my order ready for pickup when i got there and everything would be in stock

• Thanks 1