Norwegian Sun: Tips and Tidbits?

3Fluffies

I've seen general threads like this for several of NCL's other ships, and since I'm sailing on the NCL Sun in May, I'd love to know any advice, pointers, warnings, or just interesting tidbits that previous cruisers have for her.

I'm aware she's one of their older and smaller ships and showing her age, and doesn't have some of the bells and whistles, but surely there are particular things that other passengers have liked or disliked about her.

It's an Alaska cruise, Vancouver to Seward, 7 nights beginning May 30. Looks like she'll be pretty busy this spring, so other upcoming passengers might find this useful too.

Anybody? Everybody? Fire away!

we did this same exact sailing this past September.

the Sun was ok. the worst was the showers. If you are in anyway fat or even chubby, you will bang your elbows on the walls and have the curtain constantly blowing in and sticking to you. im 5'4" and 180. fiance is 6' and 220. it was TINY. i never felt clean that whole week. we would see some very, very large people on board and figured one of 3 things: 1., stateroom bathroom was flooded every day from showering. 2. they had a suite with a full size tub or 3, they showered in a public shower like at the spa.

the clientele on this sailing (being one way) was older. clubs, etc. were pretty quiet at night. food and service was excellent. we had an aft balcony room (oh, and you want starboard side for this sailing) and heard and felt the propellers pulling and and out of ports. sea was very rough from ketchikan to seward, once you entered the gulf of alaska. we had no sewage smell anywhere.

Edited by BostonGal35

We are sailing on the Sun in April from Santiago, Chile to San Francisco. Since this is a three week cruise, does anyone have an idea on how many times they will offer the laundry bag for washing? I do not want to pack clothes for three weeks and was hoping they would have that offer once a week.

We are sailing on the Sun in April from Santiago, Chile to San Francisco. Since this is a three week cruise, does anyone have an idea on how many times they will offer the laundry bag for washing? I do not want to pack clothes for three weeks and was hoping they would have that offer once a week.

You can do laundry as often as you like if you are willing to pay their prices. The special cram a bag full for a flat rate happened twice on our 19 day cruise. Hopefully you booked this cruise at least 9 months ahead of time,will get 42 Latitudes points, become Platinum, and get free laundry on future cruises.

We will be on the Sun for 32 days starting Jan. 21st. Valp to Buenos Aieres to Rio back o BA.

I'll try to remember to answer your question based on our experience.

I have sailed this ship 9 weeks this year with "before and after". :)

Just off 5 weeks a week ago, and even though I again was walking the outside deck every day, NO foul odors were noted- that had been on a daily basic in March.

It was my 8th time sailing the Horn, but first in Brazil. The ship sold poorly and the 2 cruises I took were given away. I wasn't expecting a lot, but found I greatly enjoyed every port and found plenty of highlights for my touring. Contrary- they ship was full of people, who had only focused on how great the price was, and didn't do anything in ports. So something for everyone, I suppose.

I don't find the Sun a stand out ship. It's ok, in my experience. But I cruise for itinerary which suited me just fine.

• 2 months later...

Stand out (whatever that really means) or not, we are booked on a back-to-back on the Sun in March 2019. Buenos Aires to Valparaiso and then up the west coast of South America and through the canal to Miami. Even this far out a lot of the "premium" accommodations are sold out. We were originally booked on a west coast SA cruise to San Diego on Celebrity (another favorite of ours) for the same time frame but they were calling theirs a "repositioning cruise" and therefore offering absolutely no incentives whatsoever.

Looking forward to this itinerary and to the ship, too. The information on this thread for the most part has been useful and informative and thanks to those who offered objective info...appreciated.

Thanks!

That was our main concern about booking this on short notice, for early in the season.

Turns out a prime suite is still available, or suddenly became available.

Does the amount of snow cover (as one heads north) change a lot from late May/early June til August?

We'd rather see snow topped hills/mountains than nice greenery, which, beautiful though it is, can be seen further south, etc.

Thanks again.

We did an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle in May and saw lots of snow covered mountains. The white pass was spectacular and the lakes still partially frozen. I would only go later so I could see the bears catching salmon.

• 1 month later...

Lots of great posts :) Thanks!

We are headed on the Panama Canal Cruise from Florida to LA next March. Would love to hear more about the Sun :D

Having never been on a cruise, I am learning a lot from all of you.

I am hoping that we will not encounter rough seas -- what is typical in March along this route? How is the ship if it does get rough?

Lots of great posts :) Thanks!

We are headed on the Panama Canal Cruise from Florida to LA next March. Would love to hear more about the Sun :D

Having never been on a cruise, I am learning a lot from all of you.

I am hoping that we will not encounter rough seas -- what is typical in March along this route? How is the ship if it does get rough?

Here is a link to thread Calling All NCL Sun Lovers .... lots of photos for you. She's one of our favorite ships and should be wonderful for the Panama Canal sailing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2382837&highlight=NCL+Sun --- copy and paste in browser