Should I give Carnival Glory a try?

KarimaJ

I am hesitant to try Carnival based on poor food reviews and outdated rooms/balconies. I am used to food on RC and Disney but the Glory has the itinerary we want for Western Caribbean. I want good activities for my daughter too. Any thoughts?

We have sailed Glory 3 times, 5 nights, 6 nights, & recently 11 nights. We felt she is a good ship with good entertainment. Food was just ok on our last cruise(IMO). I can't answer about children activities.

We have sailed with RCI, last cruise Feb.2015. didn't care for the food at all!! again IMO.

A lot of times we choose a cruise specifically for the itinerary.

You might want to ask specific questions to what activities Carnival offers to children your daughters age. :)

We sailed the Glory a couple of years ago and it was great. We have sailed Carnival, RCCL, Disney and Princess. We keep going back to Carnival. Our experience is that we like Carnival the best. Princess is next RCCL is 3rd choice but probably dropped because of all the stories we hear as well as how big the ships are and last would be Disney. RCCL was okay but we are not into all the "extras" you have to pay for and the tier system they have. Also, not interested in skating, wave boarding, or rock climbing. The food was okay. Disney is the last cruise line I would go on. First off the price and the second is the horrible food and service we got on the ship. It was not a pleasant experience at all. However, I do know that things can be changed or different for different people.

The people who were drunk were on all cruise lines, but the most were on RCCL and Disney. Everyone's experience is different even on the same ship. Oh I we never take anything less than a 7 night cruise and usually Sept., Oct, Jan. or Feb.

tigercat

Just my two cents worth but the worst drunk I ever saw on a ship was on rci. We hadnt even left port yet and medical had to be called because the guy was so drunk he was comatose. The doctor was poking him with a pin and he wouldn't even react. They had to take him off the ship in an ambulance. The second worse was on rci when we got back to the ship this was on another cruise two girls were bent over puking right where we boarded. The third was on carnival and the guy was so drunk they had to put him in a wheel chair. If you sail on different lines a lot like I do you will see all sorts of behavior. It is really not limited to one cruise line. Although I really have not experienced this type of behavior on Princess. And the best food to me is on Princess. They have trout which is so good. And they even had fish knives which I haven't seen on either rci or carnival.

I just got off of the Glory last week.

She is in a huge need of a dry dock which I do believe she will get early next year.

For instance:

There is rust everywhere on the lido deck also the door stalls in the public bathrooms were very rusty.

Almost all of the tiles in the buffet are broken, you have to be careful where you walk because some of them move.

The small tiles that hang beneath the aft sliding dome are awful! Most of them have fallen off and there are bare spots.

The booth seats in the MDR are ragged and the thread is almost bare, some you could see right through the cloth.

Some of the chairs in the walkway on deck 5 needed to be removed and repaired.

I am sure that I might get flamed for stating this but these were observations made with my own eyes.

As far as fall down drunks, never seen that on any Carnival ship.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

I just got off of the Glory last week.

She is in a huge need of a dry dock which I do believe she will get early next year.

For instance:

There is rust everywhere on the lido deck also the door stalls in the public bathrooms were very rusty.

Almost all of the tiles in the buffet are broken, you have to be careful where you walk because some of them move.

The small tiles that hang beneath the aft sliding dome are awful! Most of them have fallen off and there are bare spots.

The booth seats in the MDR are ragged and the thread is almost bare, some you could see right through the cloth.

Some of the chairs in the walkway on deck 5 needed to be removed and repaired.

I am sure that I might get flamed for stating this but these were observations made with my own eyes.

As far as fall down drunks, never seen that on any Carnival ship.

Wow she sure went downhill fast since the beginning of January.

I'd imagine there is a bit of embellishment here :)

Either way, I'll find out Saturday.

Really? I said I seen it with my own eyes. Why say that? Look around the Lido deck, at the restroom stalls...then tell me no rust. Look at the tiles in the buffet, then tell me not broken...

Why would I lie?

I have sailed 2 seven night cruises and I have had 3 drinks the entire time. Not a big drinker either. I hung around the pool, went to dinner, and then to dive in movies and never encountered a drunken crowd but I wasn't at the big party hangouts. I am always doing the less traveled path with my dh. We go to the clean comedy show. We attend the shows. We try to go to the live music on the ship.

Edited by smyliecruising

Really? I said I seen it with my own eyes. Why say that? Look around the Lido deck, at the restroom stalls...then tell me no rust. Look at the tiles in the buffet, then tell me not broken...

Why would I lie?

We sailed on the Glory at then end of December/beginning of January and she was not in the shape you describe. There was nothing more than everyday maintenance that needed to be done.

Let me start by saying I am not flaming anyone. We have only had 1 "negative" social experience on Carnival and that was on a 4 day where one set of neighbors had a huge fight which ended in a marriage proposal; we woke the next day to their door being propped open and the naughty police outside the door. On that same cruise, other neighbors who were having a family reunion in multiple rooms decided to turn the hall at 11 pm into a southern front porch and pull all the chairs and footstools into the hall for a big hang out session. One call to front desk and it was removed to an appropriate venue. I don't want to deny anyone a fun vacation but just don't do it in the halls when people could be sleeping.

On another occasion at a spring break cruise some 21 year olds were using a funnel for beer - until security took it away. We just laughed it off and used it as a leaning situation for our kids.

That said, we love carnival and have been on 10+ cruises with them and are cruising again twice this year. Hands down, there rates are cheaper.

Personally I am not a RCI fan - there rates are universally higher and I do not find the staff nearly as friendly and the food not as good. That was a 4 day cruise and the room was tiny and put me off of crushing for years.

The only other line we have traveled would be Princess - our preferred line because it is a little classier - more a target crowd as opposed to Wally World.

For me it boils down to this - someone can drop the f bomb at any time. In fact my then 16 yo dropped it in the Sea World parking lot with families walking by - and he got popped before he knew what hit him. You can go to any local beach and see people scantily clad and acting the fool dancing around.

Carnival is the FUN ship. And we actually cruise to relax, spend a lot of time on the balcony, have dinner with the kids and enjoy our shore excursions with them. Is it the most lively of lines, yep but it is also quite fun without being over the top.

The biggest difference to me would be make sure you are happy with what the ship has to offer - and don't worry about the people who may or may not be joining you. If you need a flow ride, rock wall, ice show etc then you may be disappointed. The Glory is a great ship and has lots of fun things to do but it does not have the bells and whistles of the newer ships no matter the line.

We sailed on the Glory at then end of December/beginning of January and she was not in the shape you describe. There was nothing more than everyday maintenance that needed to be done.

Considering I was on the ship for 21 days I was probably a lot more observant than you were on your 7 day cruise.

Like I said, I do not lie.

Considering I was on the ship for 21 days I was probably a lot more observant than you were on your 7 day cruise.

No one said you lied but possibly over-stated things a bit.

You have no idea how observant I or anyone else is.

21 days is a long time to be in a semi-confined space, IMO. It's like having a houseguest overstay their welcome. Charming quirks turn into "get-off-my-land" over time. Of course you will observe more things on a 21-day stay versus a 7-day one, and if the things you notice happen to irk you, they may irk you even more upon repetition.

You saw what you saw, I'm not doubting that you saw rust or broken tiles, but the hyperbolical reporting made me raise an eyebrow: "Almost all of the tiles in the buffet are broken." I guess "almost" is there to soften the whipslap of "all", but the implication is of a much larger percentage than I recall seeing on our January Glory cruise.

However - I think you identified the real issue: my time aboard Glory was much too short. I didn't spot nearly the number of potential flaws. I think I need a 21-day journey so I can investigate the broken tile percentages for myself. I'll see what's wrong with the Steakhouse too, maybe even the Spa. I think I can accomplish the same flaw identification mission over the course of a mere 14 days if I purchase Faster to the Flaws. I can do it!

Wish people would not shame the folks for nicely stated opinions either way. Carnival is the starting baseline cruise product...you may find a few more on the "booze'' cruise on this line..but as stated still in the minority...and more on short than longer cruises. There will be many many nice people wanting to drink lightly or responsibly and can handle and many who drink little and enjoy the ports and all the pluses of Carnival. I love free room service, the spas on the ships and one specialty dinner and eating in dinning room...I vote try it..you have the ports you want it will not be quite as fancy as your other lines but has lovely things. Tea, Balconies, Steak House talks and dinners, ports you want, Ability to do a Chef's dinner, the least expensive ship tours on the seas..and Chef dinners if you try those, ( about 20 dollars or more less than other lines) ..Spa deals may be a bit cheaper... Many fellow passengers just like you. The rowdies are on all mainstream ships and cruises...maybe a few more on Carnival..but boy was I wrong about what some snobs said it was,,, first a 4 day in 2009..it is not a cruise to be "ashamed" of taking and many things are very nice. The drunks in the hot tub were there..heavy nothing to be afraid of and you just left the area and found another lovely seat and view. Try it and splurge on a few extras and special excursions with money saved...you will feel pampered. IMHO. My cruises were 4 and 5 day west coast. I would say no 3 day sales out of Miami or LA..that is a higher risk for what you do not want.

If people behave badly...it gets handled...they do not take to people getting sick well with all the clean codes etc. And safety on ship. I also respect Shakybeef's experience however. Slightly higher chance on Carnival....but rarely the "worst" and usually just fine.

Edited by sjn911

We also get that same look when we tell people we sail with Carnival, and I feel like I have to defend the Carnival brand to them. We are not huge party people, we just like the Carnival atmosphere and the ability to travel to all the different ports and see other parts of the world. Honestly we have never experienced some of what the other post had encountered, and I'm grateful for that. It does upset me when others hear these comments and repeat them when they too have never experienced them either. My opinion is to try it yourself and see what you experience and make your own decision based on your needs. Everyones opinion will vary and thats why there are choices in the world so everyone can be happy.:)