Caution When Applying Verizon/AARP Gift Cards to Your Onboard Account

N7786W Flyer

On Victory, I used part of the gift card at the kiosk. I got a receipt, but it didn't have the amount of money paid on the receipt! Later, I went to the desk and asked the clerk to use the balance of the gift card to pay my bill. She kept the card because there was no remaining balance, and I didn't think to ask for a receipt (not even sure if they have receipts for this) or an updated copy of my bill....I found out the next day when I checked the kiosk just before disembarking that she never applied the balance of my card onto my account! So there I was with no card and no receipt, and my money had vanished into thin air. So get receipts and keep the card even if you believe it has no balance.

Edited by royalcruz

I have 3 gift cards and would like to get them applied to my account before sailing. Can I login to my account and add the cards myself? Of do I need to contact Carnival to have them add the cards to my account?

Thanks in advance.

You cannot apply them to your account before sailing, you have to wait and either apply them at the kiosk or guest services on the ship.

I also just had a problem with a Carnival Gift card and guest service associated who did not understand what I had asked him to do. I had a 44.00 balance on my sail and sign account, I asked guest service associate to apply part of my gift card-350.00-to my account. Associate applied the full amount of the card to my account. I asked why he would have put 350.00 on an account that only had a 44.00 balance? This was the last night of the cruise. He stated I would receive a gift card in the mail for the balance. Normally this would be okay, but I was on a B2B and this was the first leg. I explained this and he would check with corp. and get back to me. Associate was not trained properly and was rather rude. I get a call at 7 am the next morning(mind you I was sleeping) to come to guest services- I did receive a partial cash refund that covered most of the balance of the card-had to go back to the cabin to get my husbands card for a further refund-was met by a different guest service associate that was extremely rude stating I could not receive a refund but ending up giving me a partial. Carnival still owes me about 36.00-I hope I receive a gift card in the mail as stated but I am not holding my breath.

It is very important when using a gift card the has more money on it then your sail and sign balance that you state over and over again you only want to have the amount of the sail and sign account removed from the gift card or they will apply the whole amount to the card.

The year before, I used gift cards to pay off S & S account=there was more on the card then the balance and the associate only applied the balance to the account. Again this was done the last night of each cruise. I guess it all depends on who you get at the counter-just like home-some associates know there jobs others may just still be learning or just don't care.

The only time I have ever had issues with Carnival Associates being rude is at Guest Services. I have been a Customer Service Manager for several years and if one of my associates treated our customers the way I was treated in Guest Services, I would have definitely had a performance conversation on paper with them.

On Victory, I used part of the gift card at the kiosk. I got a receipt, but it didn't have the amount of money paid on the receipt! Later, I went to the desk and asked the clerk to use the balance of the gift card to pay my bill. She kept the card because there was no remaining balance, and I didn't think to ask for a receipt (not even sure if they have receipts for this) or an updated copy of my bill....I found out the next day when I checked the kiosk just before disembarking that she never applied the balance of my card onto my account! So there I was with no card and no receipt, and my money had vanished into thin air. So get receipts and keep the card even if you believe it has no balance.

I have always went to guest services to apply my cards, never at a kiosk. Also each time they have specifically told me to hold unto the cards until after the cruise (which I just place in the safe with the receipts). They usually ask if I would like receipts, (I always do as it's the only proof I have that the cards have been applied to account) and they print one for each card. I realize it's time consuming for them, but since this about the only thing I require at guest services, I feel like they should be happy to help me. Most of the time they will question why I have so many to apply, which leads to conversation about the various rewards programs that are available. Maybe I have had good experiences with guest services but still would never trust the kiosk for adding money to my account (maybe withdrawing that's another thing). Wish they would get their policies in sync with all their ships, so that everyone does know what to expect.

I also just had a problem with a Carnival Gift card and guest service associated who did not understand what I had asked him to do. I had a 44.00 balance on my sail and sign account, I asked guest service associate to apply part of my gift card-350.00-to my account. Associate applied the full amount of the card to my account. I asked why he would have put 350.00 on an account that only had a 44.00 balance? This was the last night of the cruise. He stated I would receive a gift card in the mail for the balance. Normally this would be okay, but I was on a B2B and this was the first leg. I explained this and he would check with corp. and get back to me. Associate was not trained properly and was rather rude. I get a call at 7 am the next morning(mind you I was sleeping) to come to guest services- I did receive a partial cash refund that covered most of the balance of the card-had to go back to the cabin to get my husbands card for a further refund-was met by a different guest service associate that was extremely rude stating I could not receive a refund but ending up giving me a partial. Carnival still owes me about 36.00-I hope I receive a gift card in the mail as stated but I am not holding my breath.

It is very important when using a gift card the has more money on it then your sail and sign balance that you state over and over again you only want to have the amount of the sail and sign account removed from the gift card or they will apply the whole amount to the card.

The year before, I used gift cards to pay off S & S account=there was more on the card then the balance and the associate only applied the balance to the account. Again this was done the last night of each cruise. I guess it all depends on who you get at the counter-just like home-some associates know there jobs others may just still be learning or just don't care.

The only time I have ever had issues with Carnival Associates being rude is at Guest Services. I have been a Customer Service Manager for several years and if one of my associates treated our customers the way I was treated in Guest Services, I would have definitely had a performance conversation on paper with them.

The kiosk is your friend. You can apply your gift cards by simply putting in the card number. The amount you have on the card is shown on the screen and it then asks you how much of that amount do you want to apply to your card. Once I apply the desired amount I immediately go back to the main screen so that I can see the credit. I ask for a receipt and I print out my entire sign and sail right then.

I also created a spreadsheet at home with all my card numbers on it or you could easily send yourself an email with them and then I update it as they are used.