Crows Nest booked for private functions DISAPPOINTING

GLP

Great list, I don't see May 7, 2016 Westerndam has a group of Shriner's have no clue to the size of the group.

How would we find that out?

2016 they posted on our Roll call that a large group in Oregon but I googled to and found nothing.

When you google looking for groups, be sure to scroll through a number of pages. Often the group doesn't show up on page one or two of google results.

We were on the Westerdam several years ago listening to the guitar player in the Crows Nest when an officer came over to us (and about 30 others) and said we needed to leave as there was a private party coming in. One of the gentlemen said we were not moving, that he paid for use of the whole ship not just part of it. The officer left and came back a few minutes later and said we could stay but the guitar player needed to lower the sound. The other group came in and stayed on the port side of the room, glaring at us and just talking. Didn't know at the time they could close off part of the ship.

We were on the Westerdam several years ago listening to the guitar player in the Crows Nest when an officer came over to us (and about 30 others) and said we needed to leave as there was a private party coming in. One of the gentlemen said we were not moving, that he paid for use of the whole ship not just part of it. The officer left and came back a few minutes later and said we could stay but the guitar player needed to lower the sound. The other group came in and stayed on the port side of the room, glaring at us and just talking. Didn't know at the time they could close off part of the ship.

If there was room for both parties - as there evidently was - you have to wonder why they would close off the whole Crows Nest to all other passengers. I think I would try a polite resistance like this, in the same circumstances. Who cares about a few glares from the other side!

IMO groups shouldn't be allowed to close off public venues like the CN, a showroom, or a pool deck for their social events at all, ever. If they want to have gatherings there and share the space with others, fine, but they don't get to occupy them exclusively for social events. Other passengers can choose to stay or not in the presence of a group, but they shouldn't be barred from using a public space.

If the group members are having meetings, they can use a showroom or something at times when there are no other events scheduled there or when the venue might otherwise not be open to the public.

If I were sitting in the CN and an officer came to tell me I had to leave, I would do exactly as Summer Slope and that group of people did. Way to stand up for yourselves!

There is a part of the wall between exp. cafe/library that opens. To my knowledge there is no wall that would separate part of the CN. There are a few computers along the starboard windows of the exp. cafe/library with an opening going into the CN.

One of the problems with a group booking the exclusive use of a venue is that the group has probably negotiated the use of that venue with the cruise line as a part of their cruise contract. That forces ship's personnel to enforce the contract negotiated in HQ.

Look folks, I'm on record as opposing the way Holland handles groups. The problem is, all of the cruise lines do things the way Holland does. Read the cruise contract. There is next to nothing we can do about that. Take notes, take pictures. Complain to HQ when you get back.

We are blessed in having been on numerous HAL cruises and do not recall ever finding the CN closed/booked in its entirety for a private function. Many times one side or the other. Usually the port side. Maybe we are just lucky. Maybe we just didn't go on the booked days.

EVERY DAY AT SEA IS A GREAT DAY

Does HAL gets the increased fare price rather than the organizers of the group or is it the profit for the organizers?

A meet and greet is for a limited time. It's apples and oranges to compare it to multiple closed venues and limited dining choices that span an entire cruise.

The line offered the dining times at booking. People make cruise choices based on what is offered. Then the company renegs on those choices after final payment date? It is a bait and switch with no recourse.

Pay more, get more??? When people book a cruise, the line indicates that they will have access to all the venues they so highly publicize. Non-group passengers aren't paying a reduced rate for the inconvenience. They are being deceived. They are receiving a diminished experience for full fare.

As a Disabled Veteran and a Type 2 Diabetic, pre-planned meals are an absolute necessity! I pay good money for a cruise and expect to get what I paid for the cruise as advertised!!!!:rolleyes:

As a Disabled Veteran and a Type 2 Diabetic, pre-planned meals are an absolute necessity! I pay good money for a cruise and expect to get what I paid for the cruise as advertised!!!!:rolleyes:

Could you please point out to me where HAL advertises that type 2 diabetics get priority choice on dining times? Evidently its a "perk" I've not been aware of all these years, and had to make do with adjusting my meds to fall in with my meal times.