All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Happy New Year!!!

Wow, I didn't realize how close your cruise was, Sally! And here I am, looking at dresses and figuring out what to bring and what accessories...sigh. It is so much fun.

I have thought about all inclusive resorts myself. I do crave downtime, and I need it. But I don't think I want that for 7 days straight. My personal favorite is a cruise that is heavier on sea days than port days, because on a seven night cruise, I look at it this way...

1) first day is sail away, so it's a half day of getting excited, settling your room, exploring the trip.

2) three port days. Just the right amount of tiring yourself out and exploring.

3) three sea days. I can read, I can listen to music. I can take a nap! But there is still a lot of time for seeing shows, using the game room, going to trivia, etc. In other words, I am as busy (or as lazy) as I want to be.

Those cruises don't happen a ton. But with my next cruise, for example, it is 6 nights with three port days. When we are in Cozumel, we are already planning on Nachi Cocum. That is like a port day turned into a sea day, in a way. We will spend plenty of time splashing around in the water, but many of you here have gone there, so you know how relaxing it is.

I am waiting for my husband to finish sanding the walls in the half bath, and then it's my turn. I will be painting the ceiling and walls. During this in between time, I tried on my formal dresses to see for sure which ones needed hemming, and to try on some necklaces while I was at it. I am learning more about necklace shapes and how they work with necklines so that I don't spend so much time trying on things that don't work.

I'm going with a shop your jewelry box concept. I have som great things, and as much as I like the necklace to be perfect, I also never buy something that will only work with one outfit or dress. I try to get as much out of them as I can.

I took a bunch of random pictures while I set the items out after on my bed. I didn't have anyone to take photos and the one mirror I have that works well with my phone has really bad lighting. My room in general does, but I thought I did better setting the items out than I did with the mirror.

I will post the photos soon. I know that with a V-neck in a dress, it looks best to wear a necklace that is a lariat, pendent of a v shape. I found that when I actually chose those, they looked so much better.

So I think I have the ideal necklace for the burgundy dress, if I choose to bring that one. With the red dress, the straps create a sweetheart neckline, or a scoop neckline, almost. That works better with something a bit rounder, but have a little something in the middle of the necklace that is a bigger stone or is pendant like is very helpful. I have something that I think is really nice, but I don't think it has the formality I'm looking for. I have to try it next to the dress to see.

The teal dress has been fun. I have short dress that is a teal print. I love it, but I also have a love/hate relationship with prints as you know. The dress was big, and I had it taken in. I also had her minimize the pouf effect a little too, because it's an aline and I wasn't keen on the shape. I'm mostly just trying to get my money's worth from my dresses when I can. I like the dress enough to wear it here and there so it might go on the next cruise. I'm not sure though.

I will just post the pictures in a bit, and you can tell me what you think. They're random overall, just ideas to see how things play together. But I think I have a few choices finalized as a result.

Laurie, all those necklaces are so pretty. The turquoise one is really interesting, it was nice to see the detail. I really like that one.

We had beautiful weather in Florida, so I hardly wore any of the long sleeve T's I took. I wore my dressy shoes once, and except for flying days I didn't wear my jeans. So, lots of clean clothes coming back. When we got to Orlando, we changed clothes at the airport and put on our sunscreen. I had a string backpack as my "purse" on the plane that had everything I needed for the day. We headed straight to Epcot and were on line for our first ride by 11am.

We had an awesome time at Disney! Our schedule was challenging because of the early mornings, but I built in enough time for coffee breaks and just wandering around that we weren't just rushing through the parks from one thing to the next. Epcot was definitely a good choice for our first day. Since we had gotten up at 3:30am for our flight, we actually took a break at 3pm, checked into our hotel and napped, then took the boat back for dinner, some time in World Showcase, and the light show. Illuminations was definitely worth seeing.

By taking advantage of early mornings and FP+ we got to do all the big rides we had on our schedule. If I could have glued myself to the Avatar ride so I could do it over and over, I would have, it was that much fun. Animal Kingdom was my favorite park. From lunchtime on, all the parks were incredibly crowded. At Hollywood Studios, there were fewer early birds and we got the second car for Rock n Roller Coaster, and right after that we only waited 13 minutes for Tower of Terror. It didn't really get busy there until almost noon, and we were winding down by then. That is not a fun park when it is crowded, and it is very hot. Lots of concrete and very little shade, and it was only in the high 70's that day.

It was VERY important that we had dinner reservations because the wait times at all the sit-down restaurants were well over an hour across the board. We had lovely meals and through a fluke got to meet and talk with the head chef at Hollywood Studios. He was very interesting.

We had lots of nice family beach time at Siesta Key and got to relax a bit a deux in the mornings. It was a little chilly on our last day, but we were at my sister's until our flight, so it didn't matter that we couldn't be at the beach.

Melody, I've mentioned before that my sister is an ICE, a classic Snow White who takes after my Irish dad, both of them black-haired and clear blue-eyed. I look more like my mom's side, as does my younger brother, with warm skin and hair, and muted eye color. My older brother, who is a redhead and takes after my Scottish grandpa, is definitely a FIRE. We a mixed bunch, for sure. So, I am not surprised if you are an ICE with a bit of FIRE because is not inconsistent with your Celtic background.

Laurie, All inclusive resorts have a lot more to do then just relaxing . They have games around the pool .Kayaks , floats , snorkeling which is all included. They also have entertainment at night .You can also take tours of the area . People do get dressed up at night just not formal. It is like a week of days at Nachi coccum and evenings like most ships .

I like all your necklaces but the large multi color flowered one is my favorite .

Margaret, your trip to Florida sounds like it was a whole lot of fun! I have only been to Universal Studios for a three day trip once. We spent two of the three days at the Harry Potter section. :hearteyes: The lines were absolutely horrible for most everything. I am not a big ride person, but one of my daughter is and my husband enjoys them a bit. It made things a bit disjointed at times, but we split up at times. They had this great "I Love Lucy" museum, and that happens to be a favorite show of my daughter who isn't interested in rides.

We spent a few hours (at least) waiting for one of the Harry Potter rides. It was a lot of fun, but it makes it very clear that we spent a great deal of money and were not able to explore the parks the way we intended.

I am always looking for vacation ideas. We almost went to a resort in Mexico once, a few years back. My husband wasn't keen on staying in Mexico. I remember they discussed how easy it was to get a cab to go to the Mayan Ruins and the like.

I am still entertaining the idea of an all inclusive resort, since there are many of them, in so many different locations. if you have any suggestions, please throw them out there! I think my husband would love something low key, where he could were a casual button down shirt with a pair of khakis in the evening. I have begun to change up my attire on cruises because I think we both enjoy being a bit more relaxed once in a while.

So my dresses and jewelry are the complete opposite of that, aren't they? I found on Pinterest some really good things recently. One was about jewelry and what necklaces to where with what neckline, and the other was on the differences between many different attire types. White tie vs. black tie, business formal, etc. It was very interesting to read.

That strong, floral necklace that I showed with the teal dress is actually one of my favorites. I contemplated wearing it with the other teal dress, but then decided I needed something different. I should have stuck with my instincts. It doesn't mean it would have been the best necklace to wear, but it would have been the best necklace for me to wear.

Now that I am looking at it with the lace dress, I'm on the fence. I need to actually put the necklace on with the dress, which I didn't do today. (I tried on the red, burgundy, and another one I have that is a deep ivory lace) My concern is that I view lace as a print, but I print I can wear comfortably. The necklace has a great deal of detail to it. I am thinking, and when I was describing what I was looking for in a necklace for that dress, that particular necklace really checked most of the boxes.

the one with the small stones in different colors is so pretty. Despite being somewhat dainty, I really love it. I think it might work best with the teal print dress. The pendant style necklace would work very well with the teal lace dress. I like the teardrop shape and how it is iridescent.

The burgundy dress - I'm sold on that lariat style necklace. It works so well with the V-neck.

With the red, I'm not decided. The gold necklace that is roundish (similar to lariat) is very nice with the red dress. The bigger, over the top one I love, but my daughter said it was too much for the dress, in her opinion. :( I was thinking of that one that almost looks like a filigree styling with just a couple rhinestones? It the last picture, and the shape breaks up the expanse of skin you see. That is always an issue because I'm broad shouldered, and the straps don't break that up well because they're somewhat thin. I wasn't sure if it was the right formality for the dress

The lacy tri-tone necklace is fun, and feminine. Once again, I need to see what it looks like with the dress but I got to thinking it might not match the formality of the dress.

All in all, the process sure is fun.

And the half bath is painted! The room should be completed this week, so I will be able to take a picture. I will post a before picture as well, which is quite a sight. What adds time to the project isn't just that it was gutted, but we are tiling the floor and the walls half way up. You have to wait for the mastic to dry, grout, etc. I am thinking 2 1/2 to 3 days left.

Laurie. I love the second necklace with the red sweetheart neckline dress, next would be the first necklace. I like the lariat with the burgundy if it falls correctly on you. The turquoise floral is stunning with the lace dress. I like the multicolor single strand with the print dress.

Margaret, My Dad was Black Irish but with brown eyes. My Mom was (her terminology) dishwater brown till she went silver at 25, with bright blue eyes. My DH is a full blooded Swede (first gen American) with dark brown hair & eyes. Our kids are a mixed bag. Two dark hair & eyes & a hazel eyed strawberry blonde.

I did several protocol functions at theme parks (we came in after the parks were normally closed). The best advice I have for them is to go left when you enter the parks (everyone tends to go right making the lines crazy).

Laurie you had a busy holiday! Margaret, it sounds like you had a great vacation. I sat & crocheted & watched movies all day, of course it never got over 5 today so it was a good day to just vedge. I did make stuffed peppers for dinner so Les is happy too. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Margaret , You left Florida in the nick of time . The temperature started dropping yesterday and today it is 60"s and rainy . It is supposed to be cold the whole week not 5 degree cold but cold for us .

Melody , I also chilled out today but I did take down the Christmas stuff . Last night we went to a movie and then for dinner .

Laurie , That outfit I bought is lace and the necklace they show with it is very similar to your multi flower necklace . I ordered the Talbot necklace and a bracelet when it arrives I will try it on and luckily I found the perfect shoes in my closet .I just need to purchase a small purse .We just found out the rehearsal dinner will be at the Ritz so I have another outfit to figure out .I am sure I have something in my closet .

Sally, you are so right! We had the best weather week of the month, I think.

I made a grocery run today while it is a balmy 28 degrees. We have a snow storm coming with wind chills expected at -20. This is the weirdest winter in the city that I can remember. My goddaughter is coming for a brief visit starting Sunday and the last thing I feel like doing is sight-seeing in this weather. :eek:

I'm really loving this coat, even though it doesn't look very warm. It might be perfect for spring, though:

https://www.garnethill.com/asymmetrical-boiled-wool-coat/263949?&defattribvalue=main

I also think this sweater in Aviary is really cute, I just don't know how versatile it would be:

https://www.garnethill.com/signature-merino-cardigan/378431?&defattribvalue=main

There are a lot of mossy, stony, soft autumn type colors in the current sale catalog that make me think of Anita.

Margaret, I love that sweater in the Baltic Paisley, but I’m so longwaisted it’d look terrible on me [emoji30].

Hope all of you on the east coast stay safe, this does look like a doozy of a storm. Melody

Be safe, Margaret. Thst storm is unreal. We are supposed to miss the snow, but we will get the cold. This is going to be long, rough winter. I'll miss going on a cruise in February like I've done for a few years!

But I do have the April cruise to look forward to, and Santa decided we need to see the Red Sox in June again!!

I love both the jacket and sweater, Margaret. For my shape, that sweater will work for me but not necessarily the coat. It really is pretty though!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Margaret , I love the coat and I really love the sweater . I bought this one last year and I really like the back pleating .

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/product.aspx?item=Z2049L&rPFID=203&sk=O&h=M

When ever it gets cold like this I buy another sweater than wear it once and we are back to warmer weather .

Well, we are going to get a foot of snow after all. That escalated quickly!

I guess it is because of the strong winds they are expecting. It will stir up the lake effect snow. The sad thing is, that is "normal" for here so everyone will be out on the roads and so forth because we don't close for bad weather often. Then the plows can't get through as well, etc. It is supposed to be a slow and steady snow, so maybe they will keep up.

I have been especially nervous about winter this year, because my older daughter is doing her field work and she has to work in Rome for two months and then Cortland for two months. Those are both a lengthy drive from here.

Talbots had a flash sale of 60% off markdowns yesterday. I didn't have a chance to look, but they have 50% off today. They have a scarf that is mostly earth, with a touch of pink. I really liked it, but it is not available online.

I took a personal day today because the contractor isn't done yet. Soon, I hope. He seemed surprised when I mentioned the location of the shelves. Shelves? What shelves? We purchased all the stuff a while ago, and these have been right with everything. I guess he didn't see them. It's not a big deal, they are easy to do.

I'm going to do some work though, so I don't get behind. We are not really set up to work from home, but we are starting the process a bit. There are a few things I can work on, at least.

I'm going to be virtual shopping in between. That is where I look, put things in the cart, and never check out! Lol. I like to see who has what, and if I really like something, see if there is a sale or a coupon. I really don't pay regular price for anything.

Athleta has their new swimsuit line out. They have an orange color that is great. I have a suit in a very similar color from them, so I'm not looking for one right now. I did like the one piece a lot though. I was looking at those shorts that you have, Melody. They have them in that new orange color, and I'm wondering how they would look if I wore them with my swimsuit. I think it is possible that it is the same color/fabric as last year, with a new name? A lot of places do that. I'm not finding a lot of coverups I like, and I thought that could be a good option because I have a shirt that I often use, but with regular shorts. It's actually a favorite shirt that is too big, but it is very lightweight, dries fast and matches almost every last swimsuit I have currently or in the past.

The one thing I'm looking for to actually buy is earthy colored work pants. I have a few odd colors that work well, but I am definitely short on basics or neutrals. I have a pair of navy pants in order to get myself through the week, and that has worked well in the big picture of things. If I absolutely cannot find more earth colors, I'll have to get another pair of navy.

Laurie, Chicos had tobacco brown, a rust & dark camel as well as navy slacks today. I bought a mulberry dolman sleeve sweater there at 50% off & I had $30 of coupons, so it was $8. JJill had 50% off sweaters so I added another black sweater & a different shade of blue sweater, with pockets! Soma snagged me a robe for $4.61 down from $129!!!

All of you in snow or unusual cold please stay safe. Melody

Melody, I just checked Chicos online. The only ones in earthy colors are the slim fit. Looking at them, they looked very questionable for work. Banking is rather conservative, and these look quite fitted. I do think I may get the mahogany ones, because I've been looking for a casual option. That is the only color available in my size. I really like them a lot, but was hoping for brown because it would go with more.

They have some trouser styling pants, but even though I can bring them up, when I click for the sizes available, there is nothing there. Darn, they must be all out. I can try the store at the mall, once we get a break in this weather we've been having. I was only in there once. Destiny USA is one of the biggest malls in America, I think. It's a chore to get from store to store there!

But I need to try some different places, and this isn't too far from a few stores we shop in.

They were $29.99, by the way. Not horrible, considering the regular price of $89.99.

I tried the slim fits on, they aren’t like jeggings. I would’ve worn them to work with a long jacket or sweater. I’d order a pair, they can always be returned

Sent from my iPhone using Forums