All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Laurie, when my SIL booked their recent hotel here she then started getting emails for last-minute bargains. They ended up at a very good hotel in a great location for half what they initially booked.

mousey, I'm with Melody. I meet many students who took a break and then one year became ten. They face significant challenges that aren't a problem when you're 22. Also, IMO there are lots of lawyers for not as many jobs as there used to be, and the cost of a law degree vs. salary earned is something to consider.

We have no vacations planned but I have been reading up on the ABC islands and Norway, just in case. I won't know until October whether I will be attending a teaching conference next April during spring break, so we aren't in a rush. We will be having Christmas in Florida this year, which I am so happy about.

I was in the L&T flagship and had to take a pic of the Ralph Lauren display. The pre-fall collection was so EARTH with lots of items I really liked. The skirt on the left is a luscious caramel colored suede. I especially loved the dress in the middle:

Lauren.jpg.fe718976ca24da1235e65875a7230f79.jpg

I have a quick question for the Celebrity cruisers here. On the Princess website, when I'm looking for available cabins on a ship, I can see what's already been booked and get an idea how the ship is selling (booked cabins are gray, not a color). Is there a way to see that on Celebrity? Also, the whole hump, side of the hump, not on a hump thing. What does that say about view and privacy?

Thanks everyone for their advice re the DS's next move.

He has a lot of things to consider and has a big decision to make over the next year. He's been interning at CBS at their Studio City offices. The DH (who has connections there because he's worked with them over the last 30 years or so) got rave reviews about the DS and the work he's been doing for them. They love him! If there's a job available when he gets out of school next year...they'd love to have him come back. So that's great news and made the hubby proud. Just for reference, the DS is working as a Media Analyst for CBS. In the end...I know he will make the right decision for himself. He's one smart cookie.

I spent all day yesterday riding around a golf course with the DS as he played in a golf tournament on the Pepsi Tour. I had not seen him play golf in a couple of years and was just amazed at how well he did for not having played much since he's been in college. He doesn't play on the AZ golf team because the level of commitment is too much and his academics come first. (His choice)

Enough about him...I could talk about him forever...LOL!

So have any of you gals been into the "cold shoulder" look? You know where there are cutouts on the sleeves that expose the shoulder and some of the upper arm...I personally am loving it. I've bought several tops like that and the DH loves the look. My niece is getting married in Cancun, MX next Feb. and I've bought like three of this style tops for the trip.

Hope all is well with everyone and wishing all of you having to have operations or your loved ones having operations...quick and speedy recoveries.:)

Mousey

Edited by mousey

I have a quick question for the Celebrity cruisers here. On the Princess website, when I'm looking for available cabins on a ship, I can see what's already been booked and get an idea how the ship is selling (booked cabins are gray, not a color). Is there a way to see that on Celebrity? Also, the whole hump, side of the hump, not on a hump thing. What does that say about view and privacy?

The celebrityuk web site shows cabins, I usually look there to see what's available then look at the deck maps on Shipmate to see exactly where they're located (& what's across or close) from them I have a list of the non suite huge balconies. I'll take a picture of it & post it. My favorite cabins on a Solstice class ship are on the resort deck (deck 12). Closest to the pool, close to elevator, one deck down from buffet (& convenient bar). Favorites are 2105/6, 2107/8, 2109/10. Huge balconies, dance time [emoji322]. They are the hump to the back of the hump, they are all concierge (C2) cabins. Dang, shouldn't have shared, I'll never get them again! [emoji23]Melody

Mousey, I'm waiting for one of the cold shoulder dresses to arrive from Chicos. I'm thinking about wearing it to my grandniece's beach wedding on Sanibel Thanksgiving weekend. I bought the dress in electric blue & love it, I'm waiting for it in bronze. Her colors are blush & champagne (& I look crappy in those colors). The bronze will blend better than the blue [emoji6]. She has asked all the great aunts (3 possibly 4) attending to wear her colors or complimentary colors to hers for pictures...Melody

Melody, I didn't find much of anything earthy online at Kohls.

The pants I ordered from JCPenney came in, and one of three fit. The other two were a curvy fit, which I knew may not work. And they didn't. ;) They were a bit too loose on the waist, and baggy elsewhere. Not a good look.

At least one pair fit! And when I went back online, I found some that I didn't see the first time. It's a start.

I have noticed too that I'm starting to see more fall colors. It was pretty neat to see so much olive green and cinnamon this summer. A few times when my daughters and I were talking, they would say "you have a shirt in that color now" but if the shirts are different, and they have a classic element to them, I will have them for a while to come, hopefully. So I do have a few tops in that cinnamon color now. I didn't buy everything in sight, but I tried to use my best judgment and select a few.

I do think that work attire is my biggest challenge though. Banking is rather conservative. I can take a top that shows some shoulder and put a jacket over it, so it goes from a going out shirt to a work shirt. But that is only if I have the right jacket or sweater for it.

I am also trying to be careful too as I continue to try and lose weight. It's a slow process for me so I have to have things that fit, and I really don't know where I will end up. As much as it sounds great to think I will lose x amount of pounds in just so many months, I'm deliberately trying to make this a lifestyle change. I don't want to gain the weight back if I can help it.

It's such a challenge sometimes!

Do any of you wear contact lenses, the type for people who wear bifocals? I am thinking I asked this before, but maybe not. The eye doctor always advises against it because he says I have a lot of scratches on my eyes. I think though that it can't hurt to try a pair, you know?

Happy End of Summer Everyone!

Today is my unofficial last day of summer. :eek: Marching Band Camp starts tomorrow...I have responsibilities there, so even though DS is the main participant with the 9am to 9pm schedule, I will be there 10-4 everyday until all the uniforms are sorted.

Band Camp runs right into the beginning of school, which is August 1...

So, this is it really. The last day of summer.

I've cut my computer time and so I just can't keep up with all the conversation on here...but would like to say that for all those dealing with personal or family health issues, I hope that all the treatments and recoveries run smoothly and that the path is laid before everyone involved and it's just a matter of running the course to restore and repair and heal all.

DH has been north since June 5. I visited up there, I think I mentioned that, and together we found an apartment for him, which he moved into on July 9. He had come home for the holiday and our 19th anniversary and drove and absolutely PACKED to the GILLS 4Runner north with Ikea and household items galore to outfit his digs up there.

We have a 3 weeks away and 1 week home schedule set up for the next 3 visits...

Meanwhile, I'm getting back to my PT for my knee and trying to get on track with my own health goals again.

I haven't been doing much shopping. I did need some more casual shirts and Target was having a 2 for $10 on many of their tanks, camis, and various tees. I picked up several...like Laurie said, all forms of olive green are out and about. I picked up 3 shirts at Target in that color.

It is even spilling over into the exercise clothing...there are some great greens in the C9 line at Target. I didn't purchase any because I'm pretty set for now.

DH leaves today for the UK. With client meetings, we planned his shirt/tie/sport coat combos for a couple days. I made mention that I would love to see him all dressed up, but in a suit more than the coat and DH is planning a special date for us on the next visit. We figured that we hadn't been on a special date, but a nice dress up in a suit and go out kind of date since we lived near Kansas City...11 years ago...

SO. Needless to say...I'm pretty excited.

He comes home July 28 thru August 7...there are a few commitments already, so not sure which weekend he'll pick...he is doing all the planning. I'm trying to figure out what I have that fits that will complement his suit...I'm tempted to shop for a new dress, but reluctant to purchase my current size. I might give in to the temptation though if there is a good bargain out there.

So I may do a bit of virtual shopping in the midst of my laundry day today...thinking of you Laurie! :rolleyes:

Lol, Anita! As it turns out, my laundry is all caught up, and I've been waiting for my husband to come home. He went away this weekend, and I knew he was going to be out in the hot sun all weekend...which means dirty clothes! He's bringing in his suitcase now!

You have a lot on your plate, Anita. You are really busy with everything that is going on.

I'm kind of in a rut right now, so my focus has been on being a smart shopper instead of a quantity shopper. In other words, "what is it that I really need?" and then concentrate on those specific items. When I say I am in a rut, I guess I mean I've got the "blahs"....I just need to focus and get myself back to normal.

It helps that I can follow Boeheim's Army right now. For those you not familiar, there is something called The Basketball Tournament. Boeheim's Army consists of former players from Syracuse University. It's a nice diversion.

I hope everyone is healing up nicely. I don't think there is ever a good time to be under the weather or dealing with difficult times. Hang in there!

Take a day off to go to the pool & everyone jumps online (lol).

Laurie, in my work life I was an Air Force protocol officer. If there's one thing that's more conservative than banking, it's the military (must be the uniforms [emoji6]). I had many (many) suits. I also had many formal (& I mean formal) gowns & 3 tuxedos (with floor length skirts). When I retired I donated all but one black suit, one brown suit & one olive suit & one electric blue tuxedo. Dressed for Success & Proms for All were very happy

Anita, I love that dress! I may have to order it if I don't like the bronze one coming from Chicos for our Nov beach wedding

Our oldest DGD will be a HS senior this year, marching band, jazz band, concert band & show band (tenor & alto sax, first chair). They've been at band camp for a week already & we're off!

I should get my surgery date tomorrow [emoji22]. So in the meantime this is what I'm doing. MelodyImageUploadedByForums1468802844.209776.jpg.d22cc394e2a958d52da4fa819ccd84b2.jpg

Edited by awhfy

I am also trying to be careful too as I continue to try and lose weight. It's a slow process for me so I have to have things that fit, and I really don't know where I will end up. As much as it sounds great to think I will lose x amount of pounds in just so many months, I'm deliberately trying to make this a lifestyle change. I don't want to gain the weight back if I can help it.

It's such a challenge sometimes!

Do any of you wear contact lenses, the type for people who wear bifocals? I am thinking I asked this before, but maybe not. The eye doctor always advises against it because he says I have a lot of scratches on my eyes. I think though that it can't hurt to try a pair, you know?

Laurie, I lost 40 pounds six years ago and I am now at a weight I can maintain so I think that is the clue to get to a weight were you feel good and can maintain it with normal eating .

I tried bifocal contact lenses but I hated them . I did wear monofocal lens were one eye is for close and one eye is for distance for several years and I loved them.

Melody,

I hope the dress from Chico works out for the wedding!

Anita,

Your DH is going to love that dress on you! It's really pretty.

Well, I just made my first clothing purchase off the internet! I discovered Zulilly and I'm in hog heaven. I ordered a linen dress for my niece's wedding party in Cancun. We'll be there for a week and I'm already planning my outfits. LOL! I hope it fits cause I can't send it back. I'm a little nervous about it but I figure if it doesn't fit...I'll have it altered. It was not very expensive as it was on sale.

I also ordered a pair of bottomless sandals as the wedding itself is going to be on the sand. They are so cute. Dang...I still haven't figured out how to post pictures!

Well, I'm with you gals who are getting healthy by losing weight and exercising. I just found out I'm pre-diabetic. Bummer! I knew it was coming as I'm a sugar freak and type2 runs in my family. My numbers aren't that bad and my doctor says if I lose some weight and up my exercise time I should be fine and can ward off getting full-blown diabetes.

So...I'm gonna do Weight Watchers and one of my BFFs and I are hitting a Pilates class at the gym on Tues. I've never done that before but when my FL BFF was here over the 4th she showed me how firm her arms where from doing Pilates and so now I have to try it. I definitely could use some general firming up all over.

It's also time for me to have another colonoscopy (BOO!) which of course is always so much fun...NOT. And I also have to do a treadmill test for my heart because I complained of chest pain (which I've now determined was stupid because it probably has to do with my reflux problem). Dumb me! But my doctor said that because of my age and because I complained of chest pain...I gotta do the treadmill thing!:(

I'll let you know how it goes.

Mousey, have them do an endoscopy along with the colonoscopy (no prep for the endo), less anesthesia for you & you'll get a more complete diagnosis. My doc wants to do a treadmill on me but can't cause of my foot. Getting old(er) is not for sissies! I do Aqua Pilates, Aqua aerobics & Aqua Zumba. I see the difference in tone on arms & legs & I physically feel better.

Our daughter orders from Zulily. I haven't yet & probably won't as I'm notorious for returning things. I'll bite, what are bottomless sandals? Are they the ones that are also called ankle jewelry? Melody

Laurie, when I had cataract surgery 3 years they did right eye long distance & left eye close up. I thought I'd have difficulty adjusting, but it was a breeze! I went from 20-200 to 20-10 in right eye & 20-100 in left eye to 20-20. Yes, I was very close to being legally blind. There's now a whole new (very bright & clear) world out there. But now I have a sunglasses fetish [emoji51]. Melody

Laurie, when I had cataract surgery 3 years they did right eye long distance & left eye close up. I thought I'd have difficulty adjusting, but it was a breeze! I went from 20-200 to 20-10 in right eye & 20-100 in left eye to 20-20. Yes, I was very close to being legally blind. There's now a whole new (very bright & clear) world out there. But now I have a sunglasses fetish [emoji51]. Melody

I had that same surgery with great results . It is so nice not to have to worry about glasses or contacts .

I too had great results from cataract surgery. I was one of those coke bottle sized lens-wearing gals. Thank goodness they created colored lenses because I spent most of the 60s and 70s wearing coke-bottle thick, large round (think a larger version of John Lenon's), raspberry-colored, gold frame glasses. It's how I got my "Mousey" handle. Cause I looked like a cute little blind mouse. LOL! I was really excited when they finally learned how to make those coke bottle lenses thinner. Now I have a whole new collection of sunglasses which I wasn't able to have when I wore regular glasses as my options were limited.

I've had the endo combo colonoscopy before. My doctor is looking for something other than growths this time although she'll look at that too as my dad had colon cancer which ended in his having a colostomy bag. Something I would want to avoid at all costs.

I've been researching how to avoid getting full-blown, type-2 diabetes and I'm definitely hitting the gym and changing my diet ASAP! I can't put it off anymore. The party's over with the sugar which will be very hard for me cause I love it so much.

But...no complaints...a gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do.;) Also, others have it way worse than me. My doctor says aside from having to change my diet and up my exercise I'm in really "good" heath for a woman my age (69). Aside from this pre-diabetes thing I have nothing else seriously wrong with me at this point. So yeah...no complaints.

I'm excitedly awaiting the white linen dress I ordered from Zulilly. There are a lot of things on that site that I'd like to order but I've decided until I lose 10 lbs....I'm not buying any clothing of any kind. Just shoes, handbags and accessories...LOL! You didn't really think I would stop shopping all together now did ya? Ha Ha

P.S. Shoe-less sandals (what I call them) are kind of like a sandal that doesn't have a bottom sole to it. They fasten at the ankle and then have a stretchy t-strap that hooks on to the toe next to the big toe (whatever you call that toe). I have a pair that my SIL gave me years ago. The ones I ordered have leather, small shells, and feathers....so cute for an on-the-sand, daytime, casual wedding. The linen dress I ordered is very casual and lends well to wearing this type sandal with it. So excited to get the dress and will let you all know if it fits right.

Edited by mousey

Thank you Melody for the Celebrity advice. I can see why you like those cabins. We are thinking a balcony would be nice on the Norway itinerary so we could run out and take pictures of the scenery. I don’t know if it would be warm enough to hang out there, but we like having the option to when it’s not crazy expensive.

I’m hoping to see a pic of the bronze dress you bought. One of my favorite colors. Love the pic of you in the pool… I’ve been doing a lot of floating in the lake since it’s been so hot here.

So nice to learn new things! Cold shoulder dress! Bottomless sandals! Who knew? I’ve seen several cold shoulder tops that I liked but I was having an internal debate about whether they would be age appropriate for me. I guess the answer is yes yes yes.

Laurie, you should be so proud of the strides you’ve made with your weight and your health. I’ve gained back almost 12 pounds in the last year, and they were sooooo hard to lose in the first place. I’ve gotten totally off my exercise schedule and calorie counting, and I know it’s just because I’m emotionally distracted by all the things going on. Not to mention I finally decided to have my hormones tested to see where I’m at, and my estrogen and cortisol levels were off the charts, which explains a lot. I’m trying a natural method to regulate them, but if it’s not successful I’ll see an endocrinologist in the fall.

You know, I would love to have Lasik surgery, but I’m the only night driver in the household, so the stories about halos etc. make me nervous. I mostly wear glasses now and keep the contacts for Zumba and nights out. I love my movie star prescription sunglass.

Anita, what a perfect dress for you! Date night sounds like a lot of fun. I am spoiled because I get to see my DH all handsome in a dark suit on a regular basis. I hope you enjoy your week together. I’m glad to hear you're back on your PT regimen.

On the cruise front, I recently learned you can snorkel with WHALE SHARKS in the Sea of Cortes. How exciting is that?!? So, I’ve been reading up on west coast cruises. Wouldn’t you know, there is a Princess sailing that includes La Paz that leaves the day after I finish fall semester in 2017….

Good luck to everyone with upcoming surgeries and procedures. We have to get into ship shape for our 2017 cruises!

Just got an email from Celebrity & from our TA. Celebrity will be keeping Equinox (a Solstice class ship) full time in the Caribbean! Some fantastic deals to be has right now

Well, I have my surgery date, much later than anticipated (4 HR surgery), 23 Aug. well. I'll be doing a lot of paddleboarding (if I can stand on the foot) between now & then [emoji6].

The "bronze" dress from Chicos came & won't stay. It's black with bronze stitching! Not happy & not appropriate for the beach wedding - back to the drawing board [emoji30]. I did get a lovely lace cold shoulder top (ecru) at TJMaxx yesterday for $10. I may pair that with my bronze silk pants & some diamond hair clips (that were my grandmother's). Sure a lot less expensive & very comfortable! I'll try to get a picture later & you all can tell me if its ok. Melody

This is the first year in decades that except for visits to my family I have not traveled at all.I have been putting my extra money into my house(new fence , new ceiling fans , new furniture , new washing machine and replacing a window).I thought it would drive me crazy not to travel but so far it has not bothered me at all so unless a great price shows up for Cuba we will have our first no travel year . .

I have seen tons of those cold shoulder tops and I like the look on other people but they are just not me .

Melody , Good Luck with your surgery !

Margaret , I swam with sharks in Bora Bora years ago . It was interesting but scary .

Sally, I did that too and it was one of the highlights of our trip. I did notice that when I got back into the boat, I had goosebumps all over and all the hair on my arms was standing up. :) Exciting!

Whale sharks are plankton eaters, so no teeth. They are huge, though. Imagine swimming with a 30 foot fish!