Vista-first cruise w/4kids

europe2016

We are planning our first cruise. We have settled on Vista 8 day Jul 1. We will need 2 staterooms as we have 4 kids (14,12,10,9). My question, what cabin arrangement do you think is best?

2 Balcony (adjacent, but not connecting)

1 balcony 1 interior (directly across hall)

Do you think a suite is worth the extra money? I think I would rather use the money for excursions.

Any tips or thoughts would be much appreciated.

We are planning our first cruise. We have settled on Vista 8 day Jul 1. We will need 2 staterooms as we have 4 kids (14,12,10,9). My question, what cabin arrangement do you think is best?

Do you think a suite is worth the extra money? I think I would rather use the money for excursions.

If you have two balcony cabins, how much time would your kids spend on their own balcony? If you get one balcony and one interior, would sharing your balcony with them be satisfactory for them? Obviously, that arrangement would save you some money. I don't know how large the suites will be on the Vista, but can the six of you share that space, and especially the bathroom, for eight days without driving each other crazy?

Thanks for the quick response-it is helpful. I am not at the point where I am ready to make decisions, but second guess myself.

We certainly don't mind sharing the balcony, but did wonder how much time we would actually spend in our cabins. I think it was a difference of $600 b/w balcony or interior. I found one that I think was even $1200 less.

The suites I looked at were only for 5 so we would still need another cabin, just not sure I can justify the expense of one.

Also, I was planning to just book through Carnival, should I go with a TA?

Thanks so much!

Thanks for the quick response-it is helpful. I am not at the point where I am ready to make decisions, but second guess myself.

We certainly don't mind sharing the balcony, but did wonder how much time we would actually spend in our cabins. I think it was a difference of $600 b/w balcony or interior. I found one that I think was even $1200 less.

The suites I looked at were only for 5 so we would still need another cabin, just not sure I can justify the expense of one.

Also, I was planning to just book through Carnival, should I go with a TA?

Thanks so much!

I know that some people like to have a TA do everything for them, and some have stated their TA was able to get them some OBC or some other gift, just for booking with the TA. However, not all TA's are able or willing to do that. Personally, I like our PVP at Carnival. My DW and I do the research on the cruise, itinerary and cabin we want, them book the cruise using Early Saver. If we have any questions or run into any problems along the way, our PVP is very knowledgeable and helpful. In the past, I've had some not-so-great experiences with the TA's I've worked with. What's right for one person may not be so for someone else. Whether you book directly through Carnival, or through a TA, the price for the cruise will be the same. Since the Vista is a yet-to-sail brand new ship, I would think the people at Carnival would be more knowledgeable about their own ship than a TA. But that's just my opinion.

1 Balcony and 1 interior.

Since it's your first cruise you'll get to experience both and you'll save money to use for excursions.

I can't say for certain that your kids would use the balcony much but I kinda doubt it. Mine don't as Carnival has a fairly good kids program.

Edit: Also, use a Carnival PVP is you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

Edit2: Also take note of the type of promotion you book under. Each type has different pros and cons. Ask questions here if you don't understand them.

Edited by fuddrules

For a first cruise (and a port-intensive cruise to boot), I'd opt for the balcony and interior. Definitely not the suite. We're sailing on Vista a few weeks later, and our PVP first recommended a Havana cabin. While I'd love to do that, a port-intensive cruise wasn't the one we wanted for the extra money - we just wouldn't be in the cabin or on the ship long enough. We have a balcony for DH and me and an inside for our two sons 20 and 16. We wanted the balcony to be able to experience sailaway from the different ports (not to mention we're balcony snobs:p), and our sons can join us there if they're interested.

We sailed on the Carnival Sunshine on their Europe itinerary about 2 years ago and will be on the Vista June 21, Athens to Barcelona. I can tell you that our kids were exhausted at the end of the day - we got into port early and tried to jam in as much sightseeing as possible. There was just so much history to see at each European port. We had one balcony and one interior and it worked out very well. They did not spend much time visiting with us on our balcony and I don't think they would have used one much if we had gotten them that room type. Save money, a room across the hall is fine. Pat

Based upon it being such a port intensive cruise, I would recommend the cheapest option of a balcony with a room across the hall. Also, come over and join the roll call for this cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157126

Thank you all for the information. Since I am horrible at making decisions and spent too much time hashing the pros and cons, I was crunched for time and needed to book for this July, there really were not many options left. There was a forward balc/int option but decided against and went with 2 balconies. At least I can say it was still under my budget for the cruise portion of the trip.

I wanted to do the Athens to Barc. but DH was not keen on Athens&Turkey. We had also considered Barc. to Venice on different lines. I did worry about the cruise being so long with so many intensive port days. This 8 day will give us a chance to do some other sites before we embark- Iceland, Amsterdam and Paris.

I will look at that Role Call-new to CC so???