T+L Best Cruises for Families

TravelerThom

Travel+Leisure has results of a new survey on “World’s Best Cruise Lines for Families.” I was not surprised that Disney was #1, but was astounded that Uniworld was #2 and Viking was #8. I love river cruising, but I’m not sure what these guys are smoking.:eek: I have met a few lovely younger passengers on river cruises who enjoyed history and travel, but have encountered more who were bored out of their minds and did their best to be obnoxious. Many adults have too high a need to be entertained to enjoy river boats, and that would be even more descriptive of youngsters.

Thom

I don't know what Viking does special for families on their river cruises; that vote is probably just a factor of their PBS ads. Disney has paired with AMA to develop uniquely family-enhanced river cruises. Uniworld has "family adventures." The other offering I'm aware of with family river cruises is Tauck, but they are such a small presence that they never garner the number of votes needed to rise to the top. That's the weakness of all these magazine awards: they reward those who are famous for being famous [a la the Kardashians] rather than those with the best product.

My guess would be that a Disney/AMA cruise would be the best for that age group:

https://www.adventuresbydisney.com/europe/river-cruise/

That link looks good for tweens and teens who like travel and history. However with suggested age of 8+ and no one under 4, I don't see it as a good fit for someone with "little ones under age 5." I'll be surprised if any river cruise, including one advertising as family friendly, will provide much care or entertainment for small children.

With a little one, I would choose a child appropriate hotel, pension or private residence in an area that offers interest to both adults and children. We went to visit grandma at that time at Lake Konstanz (Bodensee). There were playgrounds and swans, ducks and sea gulls to be fed. Castles and parks, lots of history for the grown ups and even for a young child. Italian ice cream parlors, interesting public swimming pools, boats, toy stores, cows with huge bells in the Swiss Alps nearby. The Euro is low, stay on the German side of the lake where many families rent rooms with gardens or balconies. I recommend the village of Hagnau for its superior bakery, ice ream parlor and wine. :)

The other option is to rent similar accommodations inland in northern or central Italy or on the Croatian or Slovenian coast.

We had young girls on a recent Halong Bay cruise . They ran up and down on the sun deck to work off their excess energy. For 2 nights, it was ok, but an entire week would have been awful.

I would personally never consider taking a child under the age of 5 on a river cruise. I would take only one, a well-behaved one, from the age of 5. But river cruises are for people who are happy to take in culture rather than adventure. I loved my day trip on the Rhine when I was about 8 on the famous Goethe steamer before it was refurbished, but I still remember getting bored in the last third of the trip. I would not have been pleased being on a ship with folks eight times my age for a week.

A family river cruise is certainly an idea but I have understood them to be for school children. For a child under six I recommend, like Floridana, a trip to a self-catering place near Constance for example with a trip on Lake Constance for a few hours. There you can get a feel for the montains nearby and see the Rhine as well.

France is a family-friendly country, a resort in the South is something to consider, but in the French summer holidays you will be surrounded by the French as well as many other Europeans.

I would steer away from the big cities and go for smaller places that are not overpowering. And, do not try to do too much, after all it is your holiday as well. Mothers should relax on holiday :).

notamermaid

The ages-2 under 5-- are more appropriate for ocean cruising. The ocean cruises have "clubs" for little ones to keep them amused. We have been on 21 river cruises and the youngest we saw was 9 and this was a multi-generational family on a Christmas market cruise. There are no child safety railings, no children's menu or even high chairs. We have taken each of our adult children and their families to Disney World once the children no longer need naps. This was really good. Now it is on to taking the grands on a post high school trip--each gets to pick someplace in the world with the two of us. Good luck finding a great spot for that great vacation with little ones. Pat

I don't know what Viking does special for families on their river cruises; that vote is probably just a factor of their PBS ads. Disney has paired with AMA to develop uniquely family-enhanced river cruises. Uniworld has "family adventures." The other offering I'm aware of with family river cruises is Tauck, but they are such a small presence that they never garner the number of votes needed to rise to the top. That's the weakness of all these magazine awards: they reward those who are famous for being famous [a la the Kardashians] rather than those with the best product.

Where is the "like" button?