I'm Presently On The Eclipse - Any Questions?

Im A Happy Cruiser

I've been on the Eclipse since Sunday. We were allowed on the ship at 11:05....went first to shore excursions to book some fun adventures....had relaxing lunch in laminae....rooms were ready around 1:00. We are in an S1 on the 9th floor.....very nice. Yesterday and today are sea days...Yesterday was perfect for being by the pool but today it is VERY windy!!! Sundry night's show introduced the performers that we will see more of later in the cruise. Last night featured the ships performers in a production called ROCK....very up beat with great singers, dancers and acrobatic type additions to the show. Tomorrow we will be in Aruba where my DH and I are taking a ship excursion to De Paul water park where we will be doing the helmet dive among other things. (This should be an interesting experience since I'm afraid of water and do not swim!!!!

)

We have found the food to be quite good and do not feel the quality has decreased since we cruised last February (contrary to comments we have read on several posts.)

We have unlimited WiFi and have experienced very few problems

...actually pleasantly surprised with the speed after reading so many negative comments.

Please excuse any misspellings as I'm writing this as I am lying out at the pool....the bright sun is making it hard to see the screen on my kindle. I'll try to write more as we get further into the cruise. Meantime

if anyone has questions, I'll be happy to try to answer.

Ruth

I've been on the Eclipse since Sunday. We were allowed on the ship at 11:05....went first to shore excursions to book some fun adventures....had relaxing lunch in laminae....rooms were ready around 1:00. We are in an S1 on the 9th floor.....very nice. Yesterday and today are sea days...Yesterday was perfect for being by the pool but today it is VERY windy!!! Sundry night's show introduced the performers that we will see more of later in the cruise. Last night featured the ships performers in a production called ROCK....very up beat with great singers, dancers and acrobatic type additions to the show. Tomorrow we will be in Aruba where my DH and I are taking a ship excursion to De Paul water park where we will be doing the helmet dive among other things. (This should be an interesting experience since I'm afraid of water and do not swim!!!!

)

We have found the food to be quite good and do not feel the quality has decreased since we cruised last February (contrary to comments we have read on several posts.)

...actually pleasantly surprised with the speed after reading so many negative comments.

Please excuse any misspellings as I'm writing this as I am lying out at the pool....the bright sun is making it hard to see the screen on my kindle. I'll try to write more as we get further into the cruise. Meantime

Ruth

Hi Ruth,

Glad you are having a great cruise....with two future suite cruises booked on Eclipse how are you enjoying Michael's Club? Are they holding any special events? Are they busy pre/post dinner?

Enjoy!

Hi Ruth,

Nothing like posting from a pool side seat. Envy you with the weather forecasted here over the next few days in the Northeast. Having the March 20th cruise coming up on the Eclipse brightens everything. How's the evening from let's say 7:00pm onward around the atrium and how is the evening lounge from 10:00pm onward. Is the band and music ok? Is poolside band OK? We sailed Last Jan 2015 on the Eclipse on a 14 day and found the atmosphere very subdued compared to 7 day cruises and the band at the atrium and lounge poor. The cruisers were more on the elderly side( Majority 70+). Even though we are 61 and 56 respectively we still love an upbeat atmosphere. Giving another shot on the 14 day itinerary as the ports and destinations with plenty of sea days are our favorite to unwind. Enjoy the trip to Aruba another favorite on our bucket lists.

Just 1 question - about what percentage of passengers are concierge class? We can't get an answer from Celebrity. If not that, what is the maximum percentage of concierge passengers on their ships.

Just a ballpark from any Celebrity ship would help, as we are trying to decide whether to book concierge on an upcoming Celebrity cruise.

It would help us a lot!

:D

Edited by dustyroadrunner

Just 1 question - what percentage of passengers are concierge class? We can't get an answer from Celebrity.

Just a ballpark from any Celebrity ship would help, as we are trying to decide whether to book concierge on an upcoming Celebrity cruise.

It would help us a lot!

:D

I'm really curious how that information would help you decide anything useful?

Concierge Class gets a few more perks, but essentially it's the same as a balcony cabin (slightly larger if it's an M-class ship...same exact size if it's an S-class ship)....yes, balconies are larger in C1's at the stern of the ship. All concierge (and other) cabins will be full....heck, you can count the number of concierge cabins on a deck plan and multiply by 2 if it will help in some way.

Edited by ghstudio

That's easy.....simply put, if 50% of passengers are concierge, then you are just as likely to be waiting in line as the other 50%. We're obviously still novices, and yet - that doesn't seem like a terribly difficult question. We don't know the different between an M-class and S-class ship, except that S-class are larger. The ship we will be on has a capacity of about 2900 passengers.

We are no spring chickens, and we found standing in long lines waiting to board during our last cruise at various ports wore us out. Then, waiting to reclaim our luggage in hot, crowded, angry lines nearly undid the relaxation we felt on the cruise.

Thanks

That's easy.....simply put, if 50% of passengers are concierge, then you are just as likely to be waiting in line as the other 50%. We're obviously still novices, and yet - that doesn't seem like a terribly difficult question. We don't know the different between an M-class and S-class ship, except that S-class are larger. The ship we will be on has a capacity of about 2900 passengers.

We are no spring chickens, and we found standing in long lines waiting to board during our last cruise at various ports wore us out. Then, waiting to reclaim our luggage in hot, crowded, angry lines nearly undid the relaxation we felt on the cruise.

Thanks

Okay....I can help with that question...it's a generic one that applies to all the ships and ports....and it's a good question because Celebrity literature doesn't give you little info...welcome to Cruise Critic where we really do try to help.

When you get to the port to embark, they will have multiple lines...usually concierge and aqua passengers are together, then there are lines for suites, lines for celebrity's loyalty program folks and some regular lines. Our experience, mirrored by many if you search this thread, is that sometimes the line for concierge is longer than the one for regular folks...sometimes it's empty and the line for captain's club members is very long....there just is no way to tell. They do a pretty good job of getting everyone through quickly, irrespective of which line you should, in theory, be in.

Net...I wouldn't be concerned about the wait to embark....generally, its very well done and if it isn't, it will effect everyone.

We have often cruised Concierge, more recently aqua class for their special dining room and actually our cruises now on the larger ships (s-class) are 1A balcony cabins rather than either concierge or aqua. On the smaller m-class ships, we book aqua class to be on deck 11 which is the quietest.

Hope that helps a bit....you might want to start a thread yourself on "why book Concierge Class" or similar. Others will chime in with their thoughts.

Edited by ghstudio

Okay....I can help with that question...it's a generic one that applies to all the ships and ports....and it's a good question because Celebrity literature doesn't give you little info...welcome to Cruise Critic where we really do try to help.

When you get to the port to embark, they will have multiple lines...usually concierge and aqua passengers are together, then there are lines for suites, lines for celebrity's loyalty program folks and some regular lines. Our experience, mirrored by many if you search this thread, is that sometimes the line for concierge is longer than the one for regular folks...sometimes it's empty and the line for captain's club members is very long....there just is no way to tell. They do a pretty good job of getting everyone through quickly, irrespective of which line you should, in theory, be in.

Net...I wouldn't be concerned about the wait to embark....generally, its very well done and if it isn't, it will effect everyone.

We have often cruised Concierge, more recently aqua class for their special dining room and actually our cruises now on the larger ships (s-class) are 1A balcony cabins rather than either concierge or aqua. On the smaller m-class ships, we book aqua class to be on deck 11 which is the quietest.

Hope that helps a bit....you might want to start a thread yourself on "why book Concierge Class" or similar. Others will chime in with their thoughts.

So far - you have been the most helpful - thank you!

Embarking hasn't been the problem we experienced in the past. It was re-boarding after excursions and getting our luggage after disembarking.

Both of these were long lines of tired, hot people becoming angry - especially the luggage line.

Finally, getting on excursions wasn't easy. Though it sounds as if it still might not be easy with C-1 passengers. I've signed up for the Captains Club, too - though right now we have 0 points.

)

Ruth

Hi Ruth

Glad it's all going well I have some very dear friends on your cruise, also I will be getting on as you get off so look after the Eclipse, if you see 4 people letting there hair down its my friends, Sorry just remembered one of them not got much hair to let down.

Sorry question who is Captain and CD.

Edited by snowyboy

So far - you have been the most helpful - thank you!

Embarking hasn't been the problem we experienced in the past. It was re-boarding after excursions and getting our luggage after disembarking.

Both of these were long lines of tired, hot people becoming angry - especially the luggage line.

Finally, getting on excursions wasn't easy. Though it sounds as if it still might not be easy with C-1 passengers. I've signed up for the Captains Club, too - though right now we have 0 points.

Concierge Class or even Aqua Class won't help with re-boarding or getting your luggage....those experiences are equally bad for everyone although occasionally they have a separate line for suites. C1, C2, C3 all re-board and struggle to find their luggage the same as everyone else. Signing up for captain's club is the right thing to do, but it won't help much until you sail with celebrity a few times.

Concierge Class or even Aqua Class won't help with re-boarding or getting your luggage....those experiences are equally bad for everyone although occasionally they have a separate line for suites. C1, C2, C3 all re-board and struggle to find their luggage the same as everyone else. Signing up for captain's club is the right thing to do, but it won't help much until you sail with celebrity a few times.

Thank you again....we are disembarking in Sydney, Australia and concierge class advertises, "priority disembark, and "luggage express." It sounds as if that will not help.

Looking at the 2017 cruise, I don't see "Aqua class," as available...it only shows the rooms. Is Aqua Class something one needs to specifically ask the TA for?

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi, thanks for taking time out to answer questions.

We upgraded our drinks package over a year ago as we enjoyed the drinks in the Molecular Bar which we sadly found out went in the refit last year.

What's your thoughts on the World Class bar, is it any good? Reviews on it so far seems to suggest it is not that great.

Asking as we are considering downgrading our packaged back to Classic as that covers everything else we drink, we only upgraded for the cocktails and if they are not good then we may look to save some money.

Thanks

Thank you again....we are disembarking in Sydney, Australia and concierge class advertises, "priority disembark, and "luggage express." It sounds as if that will not help.

Looking at the 2017 cruise, I don't see "Aqua class," as available...it only shows the rooms. Is Aqua Class something one needs to specifically ask the TA for?

Thank you so much for your help!

yes...and you may want to consider it....we're off topic here but I'll try to help anyway. The biggest benefit of Blu is the smaller dining room, Blu, where it's quieter, less hustle and bustle of waiters, just a nicer smaller venue for meals. Frankly, Aqua is worth some extra $'s...Concierge, IMHO, isn't. I guess it's possible that aqua class is sold out, but I'd ask your TA...and you get to decide if the $'s are worth it. It does make a difference on a cruise...it's almost like being on a small ship within a big ship...but sometimes the $'s just don't make sense...for example we have a cruise booked late this year....a 1A cabin with a larger than usual balcony is $1595 pp. An aqua cabin on the same cruise is $2100 +. I don't think it's worth almost $500 a person on an 11 night cruise for Blu. For us it's worth about $200pp on a 10-14 night cruise....but we compare to a C2....we just don't book C1's...the view from the stern is nice, but not worth the price to us...and then there is often soot on your balcony if you are in a C1.

Advice...and then back to the topic of this thread. Look at an A2 cabin (aqua class)...or consider a 1A cabin. No reason to step up to concierge unless you really want a rear facing cabin...then I guess you book C1.

Edited by ghstudio

I don't think there's anything priority about getting back on the ship.

There are lines, and depending upon the time you get back to the ship after your excursion, you will have a line, and you might have a wait as people have to go through security. Take advantage of the cold water and cold cloths and have a seat until the line is slow. Concierge is a misleading term. It's just a word, and doesn't mean there is someone like a porter at a hotel waiting to help you (too bad).

Same with disembarking. Best way to avoid it is to self-disembark. but you have to deal with luggage yourself. You might qualify for luggage valet which means your big luggage will meet you at your final destination and all you have to do is handle your carry ons. It's what we do.

Edited by ClaudiaB

Thanks again - you've been super!

Just a short line to say thank you so much Ghstudio for all the Very helpful information you give to so many of us on CC. Even though my husband and I have sailed Celebrity over 25 times and six of them on the Eclipse, I always search for your imput in so many questions from others. You answer every question in the most honest and pleasant way. We hope you have many wonderful fulture cruises.

Patty & Fran

Luvstosail

Bosston Ma

Just a short line to say thank you so much Ghstudio for all the Very helpful information you give to so many of us on CC. Even though my husband and I have sailed Celebrity over 25 times and six of them on the Eclipse, I always search for your imput in so many questions from others. You answer every question in the most honest and pleasant way. We hope you have many wonderful fulture cruises.

Patty & Fran

Luvstosail

Bosston Ma

Thanks...

Thanks for offering to answer questions. We're in a S1-9299 in April with some early morning excursions so I was wondering how early Luminea and Blu open for breakfast on port days. Any chance of posting any "Celebrity Today" daily programs? Would greatly appreciate them. Enjoy your cruise and hope you have great weather!

Thanks for offering to answer questions. We're in a S1-9299 in April with some early morning excursions so I was wondering how early Luminea and Blu open for breakfast on port days. Any chance of posting any "Celebrity Today" daily programs? Would greatly appreciate them. Enjoy your cruise and hope you have great weather!

We just got off the Eclipse on Sunday. I brought home all the daily programs. Breakfast hours in Luminea and Blu are 8:00 - 9:30am. Any other questions let me know.

)

Ruth

We are boarding Eclipse on March 6th and are in an S-1 cabin on Deck 9, too. What can you tell us about your room? We are more used to the S-1 cabins on Deck 11 and curious about the differences. Thank you in advance.