Looks Like they are still trying to fool us

SeaGoingDAD

Carnival's website states that the recommended tips include $3.90/day for stateroom services. Carnival has not and will not tell us how much of that goes to the steward.

We've always been told 100% goes to the steward, regardless if it's done though autotip or cash.

They started auto tips years ago. With intention of stealing a portion of the tips. Its no secret.

Only the $2 portion. The other portion does go to the stewards and the DR servers.this is the reason I tip in cash.

Edited by MCFTJCH2V

Only if you haven't followed the history. When the price was reduced from $5.99 to $2.99, word got out in here that it was "probably a mistake, but everyone should take advantage of that mistake". Many people we posting they locked into that price.

Then somw people at Carnival started refusing to process the orders, claiming it was a mistake. Some were reporting they couldn't order.

Then the official announcement came out. And the new water policy was launched. The new price of $2.99 was made in exchange for the new policy that carry on water was restricted. And then they renegged and raised the price 33%.

That's only a small portion of the story. When the water was first reported to be $2.99 on the fun shops website, everyone on here thought it was a glitch and rushed to order it. Very few people had trouble ordering, and who was it that "refused" to process the orders since you do it online?

Anyway, the customer who first saw it was days ahead of the announcement on the new policy and there was a thread pages upon pages long of people who successfully ordered the cheap water. They haven't reneged on anything. There was never any promise to keep water at any certain price. It's more than reasonable even at $5.99 if it gets to that, and saves you from having to bring it onboard. And as someone pointed out, you can reduce the personal increase by 100% by no buying it. It remains optional and is a $1 increase. Period point blank.

Only if you haven't followed the history. When the price was reduced from $5.99 to $2.99, word got out in here that it was "probably a mistake, but everyone should take advantage of that mistake". Many people we posting they locked into that price.

Then somw people at Carnival started refusing to process the orders, claiming it was a mistake. Some were reporting they couldn't order.

Then the official announcement came out. And the new water policy was launched. The new price of $2.99 was made in exchange for the new policy that carry on water was restricted. And then they renegged and raised the price 33%.

It didn't start out at $5.99. The original price for a 24 pack of water was $24 ($1 a bottle). I know because I bought it for our 14 night repositioning cruise March 2015 (2 cases btw) because I didn't want to have to carry that much water with us onto the ship - and with 3 people for 14 nights, I knew we would need/want it.

I have no doubt that Carnival priced their water at $2.99 to really soften the blow of "no more bottles carried onto the ship" and their plan was always once the hoopla blew over, to raise the price.

So you think it is fine that six months after they said you can no longer being your own bottled water but they say you can buy it on board for this price, then six months later they hike it 30%, that is ok?

It doesn't matter what the final price comes out to be, it is the underhanded way they are handling it.

I fully imagine as soon as they think people are ok with the new price it will go up again. I am predicting at least six dollars by Christmas.

Probably twenty or more by next Christmas.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I can tell you have no idea how a service business works. Have you ever been to a gas station, CVS, pizzaria? Have you ever bought 1 small bottle of water? What's the cost? $1? $1.50?

Do you understand that it costs Carnival money to buy the water? Pay the employees to put it on board? To store it? To deliver it to your room?

At $2.99 for a case of 12, how much do you really think Carnival is making?

Do you understand that this is a business? That the idea is to make money? Do you also understand that prices of things go up? It's the way of the world.

Are you one of those people who complained about the little chocolates not being on the pillows? How do you know that the price wasn't raised and Carnival thought it was to high?

Why do people always think they should get something for free??

Do you work? Why should you get a raise for doing the same job you have been doing for the past 10 years? Because the cost of living rises, you need more money. Why in your mind does this not also apply to Carnival or any business?

And just because I am on a roll, here is another example:

I own a pizzaria. The price of ingredients in the past 5 years has gone up. My Rent has gone up. My electric has gone up. My insurance has gone up. Everything has gone up. Do you think I want to raise my prices? No. But I had to. And as the cost of living goes up, this is what happens across the board.

I can't believe how many of you people are so cheap and selfish. So they are cutting back to keep costs down.

You want more service? Just give your room steward an extra $10 tip at the beginning of your cruise for ice and towel service. It's amazing what a little bribe will get you.

An extra $10-20 is not going to kill any of you. In the whole grand scheme of a $2000 or more cruise, I think we could all get by with one less drink for the week.

Thats very easy for you to say that. However, you do not know every one situation. I should not have to pay 10 to get turn down service. I am the one paying for the cruise. I tip extra if the service went above and beyond, not for the standard I expect to receive.

I take Carnival for what it is. It is by far the best bargain for what I feel is a great "Mom" vacation. The kids love the waterslides, we have no problem with the food (is it gourmet? no, do I have to cook and clean up? no), activities. It's a great vacation. But part of it for me is the break for mom.

Yes we can drive to a beach very easily from where we live but I am still cleaning, unloading the dishwasher, cooking, entertaining my children, etc. A cruise totally takes care of that for me.

We have 4 people in a tiny cabin. We order room service, we have 3 unmade beds, we need clean towels. I want the cabin serviced twice a day. In the AM to make beds and tidy up. In the evening to deal with beach towels, sand, showers for dinner/restock bath towels, and YES the towel animal. Sorry, that is a MUST for me.

Carnival is welcome to feel out the cruise passenger. And yes, the new cruiser would never know the difference. But seriously, when I start cruise research, I check the fares every day. They can go up and down by $200-$500 total for my family of 4. If they raise the fare by $50-100 per person, I will not notice. For heavens sake Carnival, do the math. They could keep so many of these services without anyone noticing.

Couldn't agree more.

I can tell you have no idea how a service business works. Have you ever been to a gas station, CVS, pizzaria? Have you ever bought 1 small bottle of water? What's the cost? $1? $1.50?

Do you understand that it costs Carnival money to buy the water? Pay the employees to put it on board? To store it? To deliver it to your room?

At $2.99 for a case of 12, how much do you really think Carnival is making?

Do you understand that this is a business? That the idea is to make money? Do you also understand that prices of things go up? It's the way of the world.

Are you one of those people who complained about the little chocolates not being on the pillows? How do you know that the price wasn't raised and Carnival thought it was to high?

Why do people always think they should get something for free??

Do you work? Why should you get a raise for doing the same job you have been doing for the past 10 years? Because the cost of living rises, you need more money. Why in your mind does this not also apply to Carnival or any business?

You may pay that much for a single bottle but it's much cheaper when bought in bulk. I pay 3.79 for a case of 32 bottles. That equates to about $.12 a bottle, you can sure as hell bet that Carnival is making $$ off their bottled water.

Same here...it was never an issue.

I believe this is currently being 'tried' on only a few Carnival ships (e.g. Dream) but sounds like a 'change' is imminent given the discussion with room stewards - so while it sounds like a 'pilot' it is probably not and before you know it the announcement will say - since most people chose only one 'service' per day it is now the standard LOL.

I suspect we shall see this being rolled out to the rest of the fleet in the near future.

You may pay that much for a single bottle but it's much cheaper when bought in bulk. I pay 3.79 for a case of 32 bottles. That equates to about $.12 a bottle, you can sure as hell bet that Carnival is making $$ off their bottled water.

You say that as if they have NO right to make any money off of it!!

So let's break it down here. If we go by your configuration, the 12 pack of water that carnival buys cost them $1.44. They sell it to you for $2.99. That leaves $1.55

Now, they pay to have it stored on the ship. They pay to have it delivered to your room. Among other costs such as tax, delivery, etc.

So let's go to the light side and say it cost for all of that $.20 a case.

Carnival, for all of that is making $1.35 on a case of water. Less than what one bottle of water is sold for in a store.

They save you the trouble of lugging it on also.

So, you have a problem with this??

You say that as if they have NO right to make any money off of it!!

That's not what I meant but at $2.99 for 12 bottles, they are making at least $1.55 per case. That makes their profits more than half of what they charge. All raising the price did was increase their profits by another $1 per case.

So let's break it down here. If we go by your configuration, the 12 pack of water that carnival buys cost them $1.44. They sell it to you for $2.99. That leaves $1.55

Now, they pay to have it stored on the ship. They pay to have it delivered to your room. Among other costs such as tax, delivery, etc.

So let's go to the light side and say it cost for all of that $.20 a case.

Carnival, for all of that is making $1.35 on a case of water. Less than what one bottle of water is sold for in a store.

They save you the trouble of lugging it on also.

So, you have a problem with this??

I personally don't have a problem with it at all because I think the ship water is just fine. I live in Vegas which has some of the worst tap water in the US so I never drink from the tap at home. It's refreshing to not have to buy it on the ship.

What makes you think Carnival has to pay for delivery and storage on their own ship? Also, there is no tax on water... And I'm going by what I pay for bulk, I'm sure that Carnival is paying less.

How do you know that? How do you know the cost of buying the water didn't go up? And again, my statement stands. You feel they shouldn't make money and have no idea how a business runs

Being that I own my own business I DO know how to run a business. I have been fine with most of the changes on Carnival. This is one change that I do feel is nickel-and-diming because they are now prohibiting people from bringing any water bottles on and so many are being forced to pay the higher price which will probably just keep rising. I'm not one of those that would say it doesn't affect me so I don't care. I just think it's wrong. You can keep cheerleading... but it doesn't change the fact that all raising the price of the water did was increase their profits even more.

Don't forget this water is being delivered to your room as well. As a for profit company, would you expect them to lose money on their bottled water? One thing I can guarantee is that they are not making as much as NCL is off their bottled water :D. I bought a couple 12 packs on Carnival for our next cruise. The price of $2.99 each delivered to our room made it worth it to us to have. I would have paid $3.99 as well...still worth it IMHO. I will not purchase bottled water for our upcoming NCL cruise. $22.95 for the same amount of water now costing $3.99 on CCL....not worth it. My choice to purchase or not in either case. NCL or CCL's rightful profit if I choose to do so.

Edited by Warm Breezes

And as water is non taxable, I do have to pay the recycle cost and charge my customers for that

Ok, but I stand by the fact that Carnival was not losing $$ at $2.99 and raising it $1 was to add profit only and I'm sure it won't stop there.

I personally don't have a problem with it at all because I think the ship water is just fine. I live in Vegas which has some of the worst tap water in the US so I never drink from the tap at home. It's refreshing to not have to buy it on the ship.

What makes you think Carnival has to pay for delivery and storage on their own ship? Also, there is no tax on water... And I'm going by what I pay for bulk, I'm sure that Carnival is paying less.

Umm space to store that water cost money in OH, just like inventory in a factory, and they have to pay the employees who deliver that water to your room. You really have no clue.