Looks Like they are still trying to fool us

SeaGoingDAD

John is more interested in bashing cruise critic than he is in addressing why he said almost 6 months ago the form would be reprinted to say both but still does not.

I love how he produced an artists rendering of one that said BOTH after someone produced a physical new form that did not, but have not heard a word since. I will be skeptical till I see a physical one that someone posts from the ship.

I hear the once a day service complaints have spread to the Triumph.

I haven't read all 300 posts in this thread. Just copying & pasting what I posted in another thread . . . .

We just got off a cruise this past week. Our ship did not have the new forms yet, so our service was just as wonderful as it has always been.

We were with a huge group, so during the course of the week, I had the opportunity to have a conversation with three different room stewards from different areas and decks on the ship, in addition to our room steward. Our room steward did not give me much information as she was about to move to servicing suites and I asked early in the week before I thought to ask about once the new forms came out. But when I asked, she did say on my cruise she was servicing 26 cabins but next week she would be servicing 22 because she was moving to suites.

However, the other three stewards independently all said they currently service 25-27 cabins, depending on the week, but when the change is made they will be servicing 35-38 cabins.

Interestingly, I had a lengthy conversation with one of the stewards (not for my cabin) about that and they gave even more info about the tips they receive. They told me that from the auto-gratuity we give, they only receive $1.50 and their assistant receives $0.75 per day. They said they think Carnival keeps the rest. I was sure that I had read here on CC a breakdown of the gratuity that $3.90 per day goes to the room stewards ?? They said the same thing happens with the dining staff, they dont get it all and they think that Carnival keeps $2 of that. This was eye opening and disturbing to me.

I asked if many people give them extra and they said no, not many people do. If I recall correctly, I think they said usually about 3 cabins will give extra. But also they said other cabins will remove tips so it evens out I guess. They said they can tell which ones will be the ones removing tips ... they're the ones who won't look them in the eye or speak to them. They said the ones who are friendly, pleasant, and the easiest rooms to service are the ones they will most often get additional tips from.

They were very concerned about the move to 35-38 cabins. Not as much worried about the daily servicing which would certainly be more work, but very worried about turnaround day where they would have to get more cabins ready for new guests in the same amount of time and didn't know how it would be possible.

So, the question that has been posed here many times on CC is with this cutback being made for once per day service vs twice per day, would Carnival use this opportunity to cutback on the number of stewards, having each steward service more cabins ? Based on the answers I received, the answer is yes. And it will be an immediate change once the forms come to that ship.

Very interesting. Angela12345. Thank you for sharing this. I suspected as much - Carnival is cutting workforce while increasing workload on those remaining and decreasing service to customers. I think the same thing might be going on with drink servers, as well, in tandem with the push to sell more Cheers! packages.;):mad:

As someone who has not cruised for a long time (we usually do all inclusive resorts due to flexibility on our vacation dates), I find it interesting at how many people support Carnival for their cost cutting measures. This vacation (4 day cruise) with our air fare, tips, beverage package and before and after cruise hotel will cost as much as our AI resort. The AI includes drinks, lobster, and turn down service. We do go on vacation to be pampered. With record number of people cruising and fuel costs so low, I can't see that Carnival is hurting but I keep hearing of more and more cuts. Just my 2 cents :).

Another cut back. One that we will have to learn to live with....

I personally do not like it, one of the things I enjoy about a cruise is that each time you come to your room it's clean again. Now it sounds like it's going to be more like just a regular hotel room cleanings. First the chocolates now this... I bet the towel animals will be a thing of the past soon too.

Oh well, each year it seems like there is one more thing gone that us long time cruisers have come to love overtime.

I haven't read all 300 posts in this thread. Just copying & pasting what I posted in another thread . . . .

We just got off a cruise this past week. Our ship did not have the new forms yet, so our service was just as wonderful as it has always been.

We were with a huge group, so during the course of the week, I had the opportunity to have a conversation with three different room stewards from different areas and decks on the ship, in addition to our room steward. Our room steward did not give me much information as she was about to move to servicing suites and I asked early in the week before I thought to ask about once the new forms came out. But when I asked, she did say on my cruise she was servicing 26 cabins but next week she would be servicing 22 because she was moving to suites.

However, the other three stewards independently all said they currently service 25-27 cabins, depending on the week, but when the change is made they will be servicing 35-38 cabins.

Interestingly, I had a lengthy conversation with one of the stewards (not for my cabin) about that and they gave even more info about the tips they receive. They told me that from the auto-gratuity we give, they only receive $1.50 and their assistant receives $0.75 per day. They said they think Carnival keeps the rest. I was sure that I had read here on CC a breakdown of the gratuity that $3.90 per day goes to the room stewards ?? They said the same thing happens with the dining staff, they dont get it all and they think that Carnival keeps $2 of that. This was eye opening and disturbing to me.

I asked if many people give them extra and they said no, not many people do. If I recall correctly, I think they said usually about 3 cabins will give extra. But also they said other cabins will remove tips so it evens out I guess. They said they can tell which ones will be the ones removing tips ... they're the ones who won't look them in the eye or speak to them. They said the ones who are friendly, pleasant, and the easiest rooms to service are the ones they will most often get additional tips from.

They were very concerned about the move to 35-38 cabins. Not as much worried about the daily servicing which would certainly be more work, but very worried about turnaround day where they would have to get more cabins ready for new guests in the same amount of time and didn't know how it would be possible.

So, the question that has been posed here many times on CC is with this cutback being made for once per day service vs twice per day, would Carnival use this opportunity to cutback on the number of stewards, having each steward service more cabins ? Based on the answers I received, the answer is yes. And it will be an immediate change once the forms come to that ship.

For whatever it is worth JH has always said the crew keeps 100% of the tips and this is the first time I can remember a crewmember saying this is not true.

I don't know what I find more fascinating... that the steward actually openly discussed their compensation with a guest (and speculated on the compensation of others) or that you initiated and participated in such a conversation.

For whatever it is worth JH has always said the crew keeps 100% of the tips and this is the first time I can remember a crewmember saying this is not true.

how much is the steward supposed to get? not the whole thing because of waiters and others that get a piece also

what is the amount strictly for the stewards and then we can see if they get the whole thing.

how much is the steward supposed to get? not the whole thing because of waiters and others that get a piece also

what is the amount strictly for the stewards and then we can see if they get the whole thing.

Carnival's website states that the recommended tips include $3.90/day for stateroom services. Carnival has not and will not tell us how much of that goes to the steward.

They started auto tips years ago. With intention of stealing a portion of the tips. Its no secret.

I don't know what I find more fascinating... that the steward actually openly discussed their compensation with a guest (and speculated on the compensation of others) or that you initiated and participated in such a conversation.

I agree, I was surprised they discussed the tips with me. Although, I had spoken to this steward many times in passing during the cruise as they were on a hall that I travelled to get to others in our group, and I tend to be someone that people open up to in general. I've never met a stranger ! :)

I started the conversation to ask about the new forms that are coming out and how many cabins they service because of what I had read here leading up to the cruise, so I was getting that answer from more than one person. As the conversation progressed we talked about people who remove auto-gratuities and people that leave extra tips. Which led to them telling me how much of the auto-gratuity they actually receive.

The good thing is because they were not in the area of my cabin, it cannot be tracked back to who it was. I don't know if Carnival would even attempt to do this, but I wouldn't want them to get in trouble. It was near the end of the cruise, but given the opportunity, I would have liked to have had a similar conversation with others to get confirmation from more than one person how much they actually receive from the auto-gratuities. Not that I think they were not being truthful to me, but I always like to hear it from more than one. As KatieCharlotte says above, the 3.90 goes to "stateroom services". It was my assumption before that it all went to the stewards. Now, I don't necessarily believe that.

Oh well, each year it seems like there is one more thing gone that us long time cruisers have come to love overtime.

Unfortunately, it isnt limited to just Carnival. :( I have seen so many cutbacks on Royal Caribbean over the last 6 years its sad. I read the words "race to the bottom" earlier on here and it made so much sense. Its like the mass market cruise lines are seeing who can get there first. As long as people keep paying and making up excuses though, they have no reason whatsoever to change things.

Edited by ryano

I love people who are like this. Show me your 1000% proof of this and I WILL pay for your next cruise.

A quick check of that poster's post history will show you what he is. Don't bother taking him seriously.;)

There is someone on another thread who had 2 paragraphs of complaining that a 12 pack of water is $2.99. Am I in the twilight zone???

Imagine what their life is like dealing in real life lol

There is someone on another thread who had 2 paragraphs of complaining that a 12 pack of water is $2.99. Am I in the twilight zone???

So you think it is fine that six months after they said you can no longer being your own bottled water but they say you can buy it on board for this price, then six months later they hike it 30%, that is ok?

It doesn't matter what the final price comes out to be, it is the underhanded way they are handling it.

I fully imagine as soon as they think people are ok with the new price it will go up again. I am predicting at least six dollars by Christmas.

Probably twenty or more by next Christmas.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Only if you haven't followed the history. When the price was reduced from $5.99 to $2.99, word got out in here that it was "probably a mistake, but everyone should take advantage of that mistake". Many people we posting they locked into that price.

Then somw people at Carnival started refusing to process the orders, claiming it was a mistake. Some were reporting they couldn't order.

Then the official announcement came out. And the new water policy was launched. The new price of $2.99 was made in exchange for the new policy that carry on water was restricted. And then they renegged and raised the price 33%.

I never acknowledge crew member lies. They often try to paint that they make very little just so you will open your wallet a little wider. And it works on some.