Looks Like they are still trying to fool us

SeaGoingDAD

You just check both if you want your room cleaned twice a day. I don't see any confusion.

We're on the Dream in April and that is what we intend to do. I don't expect any problems with it. If, by chance, the steward tells us we get just one cleaning per day I would check with the Head of Housekeeping and find out if that was true. If it is (doubtful) I wouldn't bother to tip extra at the end. I would leave the pre-paid tips alone but no extra.

Edited by Cushing985

I'm so sorry some of you feel so cheated. We are sailing on the Dream in May. I do a lot of research on my cruises so I know what is going on with them before we board. I discussed the my kids who will be in one room (they are 19 and soon to be 22(just before we cruise)) and DH who of course will be sharing a room with me. We all decided that with the choice of AM, PM, or both we would prefer PM and ask for extra towels and ice. Why? Because 3 of our 7 days are "at sea" days and we plan to stay on board in Belize. Since this would be our kids first time really experiencing the night life with us, we are planning on staying up late and sleeping in in the mornings. We don't want to feel rushed to get out of the room so the room steward can clean our room in the morning and then worry if he isn't done yet when we come back. In the PM it is always done while we are out. We would want extra towels because we usually take 2 showers a day on cruises due to being in the sun and sometimes sand and like to clean up before dinner. And ice for our water and wine.

When the kids were younger and we were sharing a cabin I would probably ask for both AM and PM. But the thing is I know we can ask for both because of the research I have done. If the steward disagreed then I would take it up with his superiors right then because of knowledge I had on what it is supposed to be. I agree the terminology can be misinterpreted. But having done my research I know the options I have. I have little empathy for those who don't do their research when they are spending that much money on a vacation and then come back and complain. Knowledge is power. Ignorance of the way things are currently is your own fault for not taking the time to research. Buyer beware...even on cruises.

I personally like having the choice. Could they word it better? Probably. Should it matter...not if you've done your research.

You've actually had to opportunity to do that the first 45 years of Carnivals existence just for asking. The difference now is what they are offing you, the customer, who pays their salary.

But I'm trying to figure out what turn down service even is on a roll that has been turned down all day long.

For all those who insist that there is no confusion from this form, print a copy and show it to random people who aren't cruise experts. See what they say.

If "select all that apply" followed the direction to select "the best time," it would be different. Instead, it is at the top, providing directions for the entire form, which includes multiple selections. If they intended to make it clear that more than one time could be chosen, why does it not say "choose the best time/s" or give "both" as an option? Either would have been a simple fix for a problem that had already been identified when the form was printed. Please forgive me, but interpreting written language is part of my job, and I know how important each word can be.

Same for us. We run every business process through a flow chart, and this form would fail first time through.

How many times must we post that tips do not go to just the room attendants?

fair enough.

If Carnival is going to move to a product that offers less service than other mainstream cruise lines, shouldn't it charge less for those services too?

Right now they all pretty much charge roughly the same amount and all provide roughly the same level of services.

Paying more and getting more is fine with me. Paying less and getting less isn't ideal, but in some cases acceptable.

paying the same and getting less; not a winning combination from the customer side of things, which I am; a customer. I don't have to deal with the headaches of pleasing stockholders or board members; I'm the one trying to maximize value for money.

Edited by LMaxwell

I understand why people feel as though they shouldn't be paying a full tip and getting 1/2 the service. This is Carnivals way of getting by with less people yet raking in the money to still pay for staff and making a little bit on the side. What I foresee people doing is taking their tips off and paying 1/2 of what they owe for tips to the cabin steward. I've talked to a few people who tell me the first thing they do is go to customer service and remove all tips. They don't want to pay until they believe they've received the service they expected. One woman who had 2 kids felt she shouldn't have to pay for the kids tips and had them removed.

Edited by elliair

Who is charging roughly the same amount?

Every time I book a cruise I look at RC and NCL and the reason you see more Carnival below my name is because they have charged way less.

fair enough.

If Carnival is going to move to a product that offers less service than other mainstream cruise lines, shouldn't it charge less for those services too?

Right now they all pretty much charge roughly the same amount and all provide roughly the same level of services.

Paying more and getting more is fine with me. Paying less and getting less isn't ideal, but in some cases acceptable.

paying the same and getting less; not a winning combination from the customer side of things, which I am; a customer. I don't have to deal with the headaches of pleasing stockholders or board members; I'm the one trying to maximize value for money.

Taking tips away from the hard working individuals on board to get back at Carnival is a horrible way to go about things. :mad:

I understand why people feel as though they shouldn't be paying a full tip and getting 1/2 the service. This is Carnivals way of getting by with less people yet raking in the money to still pay for staff and making a little bit on the side. What I foresee people doing is taking their tips off and paying 1/2 of what they owe for tips to the cabin steward. I've talked to a few people who tell me the first thing they do is go to customer service and remove all tips. They don't want to pay until they believe they've received the service they expected. One woman who had 2 kids felt she shouldn't have to pay for the kids tips and had them removed.

Taking tips away from the hard working individuals on board to get back at Carnival is a horrible way to go about things. :mad:

Of course it is. But you will never be able to convince someone who believes $5 is better in their pocket than in someone's who has provided them a service of that.

Now wait for the whole "I want to tip in cash" and "I'm not paying the same price for getting less" arguments. It justifies their position regardless of who may disagree. I try not to give these types much attention other than to express my own opinion and how they wouldnt be people with whom I would associate. I'm sure I am someone they wouldnt want to associate with either which is fine and dandy with me.

I think after my cruise I will need to take a break from this site again for a while...it's starting to be a bummer.

Of course it is. But you will never be able to convince someone who believes $5 is better in their pocket than in someone's who has provided them a service of that.

Now wait for the whole "I want to tip in cash" and "I'm not paying the same price for getting less" arguments. It justifies their position regardless of who may disagree. I try not to give these types much attention other than to express my own opinion and how they wouldnt be people with whom I would associate. I'm sure I am someone they wouldnt want to associate with either which is fine and dandy with me.

I agree, but there's some who feel justified in doing it. Maybe Carnival should find a different term than "tip or gratuity." It might stop a lot of the tip skimming from happening.

I think after my cruise I will need to take a break from this site again for a while...it's starting to be a bummer.

You don't come off as the type to be easily rabbled. I don't let people bum met out, it's just too easy to laugh at them.

Who is charging roughly the same amount?

Every time I book a cruise I look at RC and NCL and the reason you see more Carnival below my name is because they have charged way less.

I am talking about the per person, per day fees for hotel services (room attendants, dining, behind the scenes staff). All cruise lines basically charge in the $12-14 range (nonsuite categories), and they all provide basically the same levels of included services.

Now wait for the whole... and "I'm not paying the same price for getting less" arguments.

I really don't understand what is wrong with that. If we use todays carnival service levels and per diem/per person charges as a baseline; if they included more services they could reasonably charge more. If they included less services, it would be reasonable to charge less.

Why is charging todays rates to provide less services acceptable? This isn't an argument, it's a discussion.

I would actually prefer that the charges stay what they are currently and that service levels remain where they are currently. If Carnival gives me a choice, and I choose both, and they don't pushback on the choice, then I have no issue at all with paying the charges.

First cruise this weekend. Can I remove tips for not cleaning my room 2 times?

You could but that would be a really crappy thing to do. Are you looking for a way to avoid paying tips?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You could but that would be a really crappy thing to do. Are you looking for a way to avoid paying tips?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

you should have stopped at "you could".

It's not like ANYONE is breaking rules by taking Carnival up on their offer.

Check both - resistance - go the customer service...

That's right.

It's just a darn shame that people who want twice a day service are being attacked and bashed on this forum for having a preference to keep todays service levels. If someone wants less service, great. if they want less and to pay more, hey, their money. But nothing wrong with paying for and wanting twice a day service. Being put down for having a different preference than others is a major problem on this forum.

How many times must we post that tips do not go to just the room attendants?

We know the amount that goes to the stewards. Don't need to be Einsten to figure out half. Those that allow Carnival to take tips from them for their convenience might have it a little harder. When you tip in cash you're in full control.

Half the work half the pay. Who's getting back at Carnival?

We know the amount that goes to the stewards. Don't need to be Einsten to figure out half. Those that allow Carnival to take tips from them for their convenience might have it a little harder. When you tip in cash you're in full control.

Half the work half the pay. Who's getting back at Carnival?

Groan....and now it has turned into a tipping thread....:(

Groan....and now it has turned into a tipping thread....:(

lol! Wow I bowed out pages ago and am amazed at how long this thread is!:eek:

I have my gripes about things too, but why go on and on and on. Nobody here is going to change their position one way or the other. This page can take all the joy out of cruising.....if you aren't careful.

Carry on.