Looks Like they are still trying to fool us

SeaGoingDAD

I want my cabin serviced twice a day. Sorry Carnival but that's one of the little things I like about cruises. I think the loser here with unhappy customers is going to be the point man...the cabin steward who's just being told by Carnival what the deal is and is going to suffer loss of tips (by angry passengers) who aren't on board with this new policy. Seems petty for Carnival to even try this scheme to me....

By Rebelcruiser.

I agree...so unfair to stewards and passengers and petty.

Edited by sjn911

This is not right at all, I expect twice a day. I cruise for the pampering and a break from life. Enough is enough, this next cruise may be my last on Carnival.

So I guess vacationing hotels and resorts are out of the question for you also?

No. Not even remotely close. No cruiseline sailing from America currently offers what I think will happen. I'd say by 2020 it is a reality.

I have no idea what the reference point of 2020 means for Carnival or any other cruise line in reference to this. Two comments. The first is that Carnival by any stretch of the imagination in reference to what we think of traditional services has been the most conservative cruise line out there. Their MDR program still most closely aligns with what we think of from a historical perspective. The second point is that I was serious in my comment on AOTS. Look at their dining options, by far the most radical thing since freestyle dining was introduced by NCL (and much more radical than that).

This mentality of John mentioning somethings on his web site and turning it the next cut back of the day is head scratching.

So I guess vacationing hotels and resorts are out of the question for you also?

Not true at all, the all inclusive resorts I go to in the Caribbean have nightly turn down service, some with chocolate on pillows and others with towel art etc. (ie: Iberostar Grand).

I have no idea what the reference point of 2020 means for Carnival or any other cruise line in reference to this. Two comments. The first is that Carnival by any stretch of the imagination in reference to what we think of traditional services has been the most conservative cruise line out there. Their MDR program still most closely aligns with what we think of from a historical perspective. The second point is that I was serious in my comment on AOTS. Look at their dining options, by far the most radical thing since freestyle dining was introduced by NCL (and much more radical than that).

This mentality of John mentioning somethings on his web site and turning it the next cut back of the day is head scratching.

Was my post really cryptic?

You said my idea is the Anthem of the Seas model. It's not even remotely close to Anthem of the Seas. Period.

I think 2020 will be when Carnival moves away from its current model and to tiered dining packages with the buffet and casual counter service eateries being the only included with fare food.

I think Johns "surveys" are just proxies for changes and cuts. Some additions get made too. But overall I think he's the happy face they put on cutbacks.

Was my post really cryptic?

You said my idea is the Anthem of the Seas model. It's not even remotely close to Anthem of the Seas. Period.

I think 2020 will be when Carnival moves away from its current model and to tiered dining packages with the buffet and casual counter service eateries being the only included with fare food.

I think Johns "surveys" are just proxies for changes and cuts. Some additions get made too. But overall I think he's the happy face they put on cutbacks.

I did not think your post was all that cryptic, maybe my reply was;), I still think your post on MDR (will come to) is exactly what Royal is offering on Anthem....period (actually a few of them) but we can move on. My point on 2020 was how you picked a year and the basis of that, but again we can move on. Lastly, go look back at John's post on his blog (or FB) and you will see that the VAST majority are just thoughts he pops up when something occurs.

Think about it, somebody complains to him about something or wants something for free, he thinks is this what everyone wants, or this is so far out there he wants us to see what he gets, or it a valid request and posts it looking for feedback. To think the company is seed feeding changes four years out sounds grassy knoll material to me, but again we can move on.

Edited by jimbo5544

Not true at all, the all inclusive resorts I go to in the Caribbean have nightly turn down service, some with chocolate on pillows and others with towel art etc. (ie: Iberostar Grand).

I agree Iberostar grand has turn down, but at least 50% of the AI's we have been to (and we have been to more than a few) do not have turn down (which as a feature is way over rated in my book - behind butler service).

Personally if Carnival does eventually go to the tired packaging for dining/food, then I think they will have some mighty big dining rooms empty on the ships. No way am I paying extra for food (for 4 people) in the MDR unless they improve the offerings a lot.

Edited by blondietink

You go on a cruise expecting a certain thing and PAY for that... you go to a resort/hotel expecting a certain thing and pay for that. Completely different things.....

I disagree but to each his own. There's dozens of reasons I've been cruising Carnival since the 90's and having someone come tidy up my room twice a day is not one of them. Buts that's just me.

I prefer the twice daily and have had no problems with that to date. We will see when we next sail.

I enjoy the overall pampered feeling on a cruise, and that includes clean towels twice a day, plenty of ice, cabin nice and tidy, the overall service. I don't want to give that up!

Personally if Carnival does eventually go to the tired packaging for dining/food, then I think they will have some mighty big dining rooms empty on the ships. No way am I paying extra for food (for 4 people) in the MDR unless they improve the offerings a lot.

Cruising is continuing to evolve, just look at all the new ships, innovative things to do, eat and enjoy. Carnival is not leading the pack in this area, by any stretch (while most think that is to their detriment, I am not so sure). Anthem has (if I am off on this I am sure I will be corrected on this by my friends here) 17 eating establishments and 4 or 5 are free. On NCL's new ships there are more of these. A third of Carnival's fleet has zero (you can buy up certain things in the MDR but it is an option only), the rest mainly have 1 or 2 (steakhouse, Cucina and on a few only Jiji's).

I agree Iberostar grand has turn down, but at least 50% of the AI's we have been to (and we have been to more than a few) do not have turn down (which as a feature is way over rated in my book - behind butler service).

Oh I agree with you Jimbo. I dont NEED turn down service, it wont diminish my vacation in any way and I too have been to many AI that dont. But it is a perk that makes it feel a little more special - to see rose petals on the bed etc.

My point though, was the poster who in an attempt to make another poster feel silly by saying "So I guess vacationing hotels and resorts are out of the question for you also?" was the one who doesnt know what he is talking about and made himself look silly.

Whats important in a vacation to you or me may not be for someone else and to try and belittle another poster for it is wrong.

My take on this issue is the same as a lot of the other cuts. I think Carnival is still after the "new" cruisers that do not have any idea of what was the norm and are happy with what they get. You don't miss what you never had, so they are happy clams and the return customer is let down by all of the cuts.

I did not think your post was all that cryptic, maybe my reply was;), I still think your post on MDR (will come to) is exactly what Royal is offering on Anthem....period (actually a few of them) but we can move on. My point on 2020 was how you picked a year and the basis of that, but again we can move on. Lastly, go look back at John's post on his blog (or FB) and you will see that the VAST majority are just thoughts he pops up when something occurs.

Think about it, somebody complains to him about something or wants something for free, he thinks is this what everyone wants, or this is so far out there he wants us to see what he gets, or it a valid request and posts it looking for feedback. To think the company is seed feeding changes four years out sounds grassy knoll material to me, but again we can move on.

You should read up on dynamic dining because you aren't correct abouy it. There are 4 distinct dining rooms all included in the cruise fare, besides the buffet and casual eateries.

It really has nothing to do with the model I think carnival will move to. I think Carnivals eventual model will be a good, better, best model with tiered pricing as packages. You think that's grassy knoll stuff. Why you would use that term, other than to smear me, I don't understand.

John Heald whips his fans into a frenzy and uses surveys to justify cutbacks. You love the man. I think he's a fraud. So be it.

edit: the main point here is that Carnival is likely going to move to a fee based structure above the base cruise fare if you want table service. Royal Caribbean dynamic dining has nothing to do with that. Carnival will be happy to provide buffet and counter service food at no extra charge, but additional services, such as MDR, will be sold as a "package".

Edited by LMaxwell

Have not been on a Carnival Ship that has "THE CARD". Our approach is to meet the cabin steward as soon as possible and explain to him/her what we would like. We like the evening service because when we do excursions we usually use the beach towels and want them replaced for the next day, and we usually shower before dinner and want the regular towels replaced for the next morning. We also want an ice bucket that is refilled at each room service.

We have coffee delivered to the room each morning to meet the sunrise on the balcony. And we shower and dress and head to the Lido for breakfast around 9:00am unless it is a port day. When we leave the room we put the "cruising" sign on the door at that time and the cabin stewards learn that that is the best time for them to clean/refresh the room in the morning.

That is the extent of our requirements, and we have never had a problem getting that from Carnival staff members. I do not anticipate any problem getting that even when we start getting "THE CARD". We will check the 2 boxes for service, and explain to the stewards that is our requirement. I cannot foresee where a Carnival employee will take exception to that and say no.

We do not waste time making mountains out of mole hills, which is what most of this complaining about "cutbacks" is. Things change. If you don't like them, move on. If you can't move on, then you need to get professional help to become a more happy person.

We do not waste time making mountains out of mole hills, which is what most of this complaining about "cutbacks" is. Things change. If you don't like them, move on. If you can't move on, then you need to get professional help to become a more happy person.

Spoken like a true brand apologist.

The most important part outta everything is John did state the new cards will indeed have "Both" on them as well to be checked besides AM or PM

IF that never happens well some may have a few points then

But it still says Check ALL that Apply ........Simple to just check both

Also there are lots of people on the boards who do nothing but complain about Carnival, John Heald, the food , the smoke , the new menus etc. if it's really that bad and bothers you just go to another cruise line and join those posts instead of whining here

We cruise Carnival, Princess and NCL and Love them all

Be Free and open up your horizons lol.....Free your mind and the rest will follow 😂😂

The card introduces confusion when it asks what the "best time to tidy up" may be. To me, "best" means ONE, regardless of any other instruction at the top. There can only be one "best" choice, especially when given two options.

See, this is what happens in a world where everyone gets a trophy...people forget what "best" means.

Exactly!

I am new to cruising, so reading a good portion of the responses and the OP makes me wonder how spoiled (some) veteran cruisers are!:eek::rolleyes:

I take Carnival for what it is. It is by far the best bargain for what I feel is a great "Mom" vacation. The kids love the waterslides, we have no problem with the food (is it gourmet? no, do I have to cook and clean up? no), activities. It's a great vacation. But part of it for me is the break for mom.

Yes we can drive to a beach very easily from where we live but I am still cleaning, unloading the dishwasher, cooking, entertaining my children, etc. A cruise totally takes care of that for me.

We have 4 people in a tiny cabin. We order room service, we have 3 unmade beds, we need clean towels. I want the cabin serviced twice a day. In the AM to make beds and tidy up. In the evening to deal with beach towels, sand, showers for dinner/restock bath towels, and YES the towel animal. Sorry, that is a MUST for me.

Carnival is welcome to feel out the cruise passenger. And yes, the new cruiser would never know the difference. But seriously, when I start cruise research, I check the fares every day. They can go up and down by $200-$500 total for my family of 4. If they raise the fare by $50-100 per person, I will not notice. For heavens sake Carnival, do the math. They could keep so many of these services without anyone noticing.

THIS! I want twice per day. Unlike most of the time, cruises are a time when I shower twice per day. So does hubby. And DD (5) at least once per day. So with the three of us, that is 5 towels. And I don't reuse the towels. Sorry I know that is bad, but even at home I rarely do. They are not going to be dry by the next shower. And how do I know if it is mine rather than hubby's or DDs.

On every cruise, EVER, I have tipped the room steward extra. Always. Never cut tips.

I know they want to cut costs. Raise the fare a few $. Carnival has cut a lot of costs to the point where it barely becomes a good value anymore. Its like buying the 1 ply toilet paper. Sure its cheaper, but not worth it to me. :rolleyes: