Taxi Company from Hotel to Port Everglades

Host Jacquelyn

Looking for recommendations on reputable taxi companies to take us from Embassy Suites to Port Everglades. We are 5 people.

The last time we did this, I followed the advice to "just ask the concierge at Embassy Suites". They were so unhelpful, and said they cannot request a mini van. All they could do was order a cab, and if it was a standard sedan for 4, then they would send it back, and place another call. We would have to hope a minivan would be randomly assigned, and it could take hours. Of course, they did this so that we would have no choice but to use their $9 per person shuttle to the pier. So instead of $12-$15 total for a cab, the price was $45 for the shuttle. We negotiated it down to $30 flat for 5 of us, but that took a Supervisor's permission.

Needless to say, I would like to avoid all that next time around, and just call a minivan directly. Any recommendations?

Looking for recommendations on reputable taxi companies to take us from Embassy Suites to Port Everglades. We are 5 people.

Needless to say, I would like to avoid all that next time around, and just call a minivan directly. Any recommendations?

I've never found the concierge to be helpful. We walked out the front door and there were a number of valets ready to help. They got the cab, loaded the luggage, and pocketed the tip. These guys are more helpful because they get tips.

You have the choice of requesting several different types of vehicles. Here's a link to the list on the Uber web site. The XL should be sufficient for 5 with luggage. To be sure you can request the LUX-SUV that would be roomier but more expensive. ($25 +/- for your ride).

Here's a link to the ride estimator.

I drive for Uber as a part-time-support-my-cruise-habit. The passengers that I pick up have always told me that the response time is much quicker with Uber than a taxi. Having said that, the cabs and Uber know when the requests to the port will be heavy. You may want to search the boards or start a new thread requesting the experiences of others in FLL.

One caution is regarding surge pricing. When demand increases for Uber rides beyond the ability of drivers in the area to respond quickly the prices can and do sometimes go up. When you arrange for an Uber you will know before the driver will be notified and you can decide if you want to send for the ride. One more link here to lead to an explanation of surge pricing. On the drivers side we can see on our app map where surge pricing is in effect. This generally draws drivers in. increases the number of cars available and reduces or eliminates the surge rates.

Hope this helps

We did not have a surge using when we went about 10:30.

Riders can see when there is a surge. You can wait a few minutes to see if it passes.

We asked for a car before we got an elevator down. The car arrived before we could get an elevator. At the Embassy wait until you are on your way down...getting an elevator is worse than getting a car from Uber :-)

We did not have a surge using when we went about 10:30.

Riders can see when there is a surge. You can wait a few minutes to see if it passes.

We asked for a car before we got an elevator down. The car arrived before we could get an elevator. At the Embassy wait until you are on your way down...getting an elevator is worse than getting a car from Uber :-)

Was the price to the port about what I quoted above? Did you use the regular Uber X or a larger vehicle? I've driven for a year now but never been a passenger:)

Can you also get an Uber from the airport (FLL), or are they not allowed?

Here are the pick up locations for Uber at the airport.

?format=750w

It was $11.17 including the $4.50 airport fee to the Embassy using UberX. Larger vehicle will be a little more

The driver will call and ask where you are and what you are wearing.

You will know what type of car to look for once your driver accepts your request.

I will probably cab it from the airport. Is it supposed to be metered? The guy last time did not turn the meter on and charged us $20 or $25 ("plus tip" as he said) from the airport to Embassy Suites. He said that was the mini van flat rate, and it was already too late to argue.

I will probably cab it from the airport. Is it supposed to be metered? The guy last time did not turn the meter on and charged us $20 or $25 ("plus tip" as he said) from the airport to Embassy Suites. He said that was the mini van flat rate, and it was already too late to argue.

It's supposed to be metered. I've had problems with Port Everglades taxi drivers before. It's best to establish the approximate cost before you get in the taxi.

We also found they don't like being bothered with a credit card either. Our driver tried to tell us his credit card machine didn't work. But we insisted we use it and guess what the machine just started to work.

Yes, same thing happened to us. We now ask about the credit card machine before we get in.

We also found they don't like being bothered with a credit card either. Our driver tried to tell us his credit card machine didn't work. But we insisted we use it and guess what the machine just started to work.

Yes, same thing happened to us. We now ask about the credit card machine before we get in.

Another advantage to using Uber. It's credit card only. And no tipping.