Odyssey Auckland to Sydney: The Grass isn't always greener

Emperor Norton

Our last stop was the winery where a number of passengers were upset that the cheese pairing (if a chunk of cheddar is considered a pairing) wasn't included. This was the most uninteresting wine tasting I've ever experienced. The owner seemed rather blase and bored with everything (perhaps he was more interested in the hen party that was going on outside?) and didn't have much enthusiasm for his own product.

DSC_6159-XL.jpg

DSC_6157-XL.jpg

DSC_6153-XL.jpg

DSC_6154-XL.jpg

The winery did have a nice view

DSC_6155-XL.jpg

DSC_6161-XL.jpg

Sadly it seems that some passengers thought the job of the bus driver was to clean up after them.

DSC_6163-XL.jpg.

Our next stop was at the bottom of a valley in Burnie. We got to see a lot of cute cuddly animals that made all sorts of interesting howling, screaming and bone crunching sounds.

DSC_6164-XL.jpg

It was a nice looking valley, just a wee bit hot.

DSC_6165-XL.jpg

DSC_6239-XL.jpg

DSC_6238-XL.jpg

Who knew there was a city named Penguin that was populated with lions?

DSC_6237-XL.jpg

The guy at the winery was probably a little embarrassed dishing up the wines. Most Aussies would not look at a wine from Tasmania. Margaret River, Barossa Valley, Mclaren Vale are the top winery regions in Aus.

The docent had a simple warning: Do not attempt to pet this end of the devil.

DSC_6167-XL.jpg

After walking past some fish, reptiles and pets (Guinea Pigs and rabbits were available) we were again outside looking at some of the other less famous rescue animals. In this case a marmoset or tea-cup monkey.

DSC_6168-XL.jpg

I can't remember what this was, but it had interesting coloration.

DSC_6183-XL.jpg

Yes, yes they will

DSC_6177-XL.jpg

It may look cute but it made some less than cute sounds

DSC_6180-XL.jpg

DSC_6176-XL.jpg

DSC_6186-XL.jpg

"Coincidentally" we were there during a feeding time. While the devils are scavengers they get very protective of "their" food. At the start I think they did more damage to each other than the leg of critter they were given to eat. It was interesting to watch them eat as well as hear the cracking sounds as they chewed through a femur.

DSC_6187-XL.jpg

DSC_6188-XL.jpg

DSC_6189-XL.jpg

DSC_6192-XL.jpg

After the devil feeding we were ushered off to a more interactive feeding experience where we could feed kangaroos.

I'm not sure if this one was young enough to still qualify as a joey

DSC_6216-XL.jpg

Also a bit of trivia: Volvo created a detection/avoidance system on its cars in Australia specifically to avoid kangaroo strikes.

Mother and joey

DSC_6218-XL.jpg

Some were less shy when it came to obtaining food

DSC_6220-XL.jpg

DSC_6223-XL.jpg

DSC_6225-XL.jpg

DSC_6229-XL.jpg

Next up was the super high energy interactive koala experience.

DSC_6230-XL.jpg

DSC_6231-XL.jpg

A sulfur crested cockatoo. I expected to see these in the wild but never did.

DSC_6232-XL.jpg

While the swan experience wasn't interactive per se it could become that way if the male felt people were encroaching

DSC_6233-XL.jpg

DSC_6234-XL.jpg

DSC_6236-XL.jpg

Back from my time down under it's about time to post up some pictures. If you want to contribute images from this segment - feel free. My trip to Auckland starts were all my trips seem to start: The Buena Vista Cafe in San Francisco. I usually start with a trio of drinks to stave off potential issues. Silly ritual, but tasty.

Appreciate all of your nice visuals and details from your "adventure" down under. Brings back nice memories for us from our trip two years ago. In leaving San Francisco, you were suffering!!?? But, NZ's Wellington has lots of those Bay-area touches and feels for being their country's version of SF.

You encouraged sharing some pictures. Here goes with just a few of my visuals. We were on a different cruise line two years ago, but things worked well for us. It looks like you got two stops on Tasmania, plus other fun locations where we visited. Looking forward from your pictures for seeing more from Tasmania, Sydney, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 139,784 views for this posting.

From having our final breakfast on the back of our ship as we arrived in Auckland, here is the view of Auckland's historic Ferry Building, plus some other key downtown buildings. This docking area is super handy for having quick and easy access to the city. But, this port area can be very, very congested, especially with lots of luggage after such a long, 14-day cruise.:

AucklandArtOneA27_zps83c1d4c3.jpg

From Port Arthur, the historic Tasmanian penal colony seen during our stop in Hobart, here is just one of the many views for some of the sights there. This gives an overview for a portion of this prison site. This location was nearby to the water area as the prisoners would arrive from England for this “visit”. It took six to nine months to make the journey from England to this distant part of the world.:

TasWildlifeCtr19_zps66bff896.jpg

We started out our day in Wellington by hooking up with an excellent cab driver for a mini-tour and introduction to this city. This included first going up to Mount Victoria for a great overview of the city and seeing many sights around town. Here is an overview for this city from this great location on a wonderful weather day. We could also the residential structures that climb up the hills all around this great, scenic harbor. And, we had a view of the Wellington airport where the top movie/computer operations for Peter Jackson and James Cameron are working their magic for future film releases. Wellington is now the center for this type of film production in the world. There was also a closer view of the Te Papa museum shown below from this vantage point.:

WellingtonA1_zps6b26b4d8.jpg

This is the inside of Old St. Paul's church in Wellington. It is the former cathedral in the Diocese of Wellington for the Anglican Church. As an example of 19th-century Gothic Revival architecture, they adapted to colonial conditions and materials. It is at 34 Mulgrave Street, close to the New Zealand Parliament. Its construction was completed in June 1866. In 1964, the Diocese of Wellington moved to the new St Paul's Cathedral nearby. After a significant battle to prevent its demolition, Old St. Paul's was purchased by the New Zealand Government in 1967 and restored. Although not a parish church, it remains consecrated and is a popular for weddings, funerals and other services. It is constructed from native NZ timbers. The interior has been likened to the upturned hull of an Elizabethan galleon. As this picture shows, it has exposed curving trusses and roof sacking. The flags displayed in the nave include the Royal Navy, NZ Merchant Navy and US Marine Corps. Many of our Marines were stationed in Wellington during World War II. My wife is in yellow walking down the center aisle as she absorb the building details. This was a very important and "moving" site to experience.:

WellingtonA9_zpse247f172.jpg

This picture gives a sampling for Akaroa, its scenic harbor and nearby areas. BUT, it takes time to get out of here, including to navigate the twisting, slow roads. And, getting back, too!! Notice the "truth-in-advertising" sign about the many "S-curves" ahead. Lots of visual interest and NZ natural charm in this region.:

Akoroa11_zps5b0b5e31.jpg

Here is a picture from our New Zealand South Island JetBoat ride that my wife loved so much. From Akaroa, we did a combination ship excursion that included both the rail trip to the mountains/National Park, plus JetBoat. Notice her hands and those of others in our row super tightly gripping the safety bar? That says so much about the speed and thrills while roaring up and down this amazing stretch of scenic river. We've had lots of great moments on this trip, but one was a unique and special ride in a location that is spectacularly world-class near the NZ Southern Alps. And, perfect weather with good friends adds to the great joy!!:

JetBoatOne1_zpscafe58a3.jpg

I was suffering in that Seabourn never could produce a decent Irish Coffee or Bloody Mary (I have never heard or seen so many ultra specific bloody mary orders before that cruise). The jet boat ride looks like fun. Sadly the closest we got to Wellington was IIRC 60 klicks.

Today was going to be a good day. One of the bartenders was leaving the ship and I was going on the cruises second shopping with the chef tour. The first and third tours were never officially announced (come to think of it - I'm not sure this one was either). Getting on the tour seemed rather sneaky and underhanded, but if that's how they're going to do it from now on instead of making an announcement in the Herald, so be it.

Our destination for the day was the Queen Victoria market. Aside from Chef Raj we were also accompanied by Rajs friend and Guenter who was on the cruise but not as the HM (IIRC there were 3 or so HMs on board that weren't acting as HMs).

DSC_6243-XL.jpg

DSC_6244-XL.jpg

Initially the market wasn't very crowded (aside from a lack of parking)

DSC_6245-XL.jpg

DSC_6247-XL.jpg

Interesting choice of attire

DSC_6250-XL.jpg

DSC_6253-XL.jpg

Aside from nuts, fruits and vegetables the outdoor portion of the market also had hippy stuff and I guess a very early sale on Halloween costumes.

DSC_6256-XL.jpg

After finishing up the outdoor section we went through the perilous pink pillars and into the interior of the market.

DSC_6257-XL.jpg

DSC_6260-XL.jpg

DSC_6261-XL.jpg

DSC_6262-XL.jpg

DSC_6269-XL.jpg

I should add that the sausages with hotter peppers and possibly offensive names were not purchased.

After Melbourne (thankfully new barstaff boarded) our next stop was Geelong. I opted for a ships tour today which included a few wineries and some other stops. (after my last winery experience on this cruise I was tempted to cancel).

After passing by all the former sheep/export/customs buildings we drive by Corio Villa a pre-fabbed house made out of cast iron. No picture stop here. The next no stop no picture building we saw was a tower that was part of the Australian equivalent of the CDC.

After a bit of a drive we went past some very nice looking Victorian buildings. We stopped to see some lighthouses and never really got close to the Victorian architecture.

I would have liked to have been able to spend time in that part of town o'er yonder

DSC_6297-XL.jpg

Our destination was a pair of lighthouses

I really hope they meant gun shooting, though who shoots over someone elses occupied and fortified land?

DSC_6288-XL.jpg

DSC_6290-XL.jpg

DSC_6293-XL.jpg

DSC_6296-XL.jpg

DSC_6298-XL.jpg

I felt a few of the staff were wrong for bartenders in general and very much so on Seabourn. I'm used to bartenders (on land and at sea) conversing with customers/passengers when time allows. There were a few on the ship that made zero effort to do more than serve a drink. On one day when the bar was actually full the bartender left the bar and spent twenty minutes speaking to a passenger from a previous segment. Needless to say when outgoing, talkative bartenders came on it was a nice change.

Interesting as the worst we had were talkative but the problem we experienced were more a lack of paying attention. One night we were meeting the folks with the most nights on Seabourn - they had their drinks before we arrived - once we were seated the bartender paid no attention to our table until I went to the bar - this was in the Club. I won't mention his name but had a huge opinion of himself.

Posting on the right thread now.

Hi Emperor,

Really enjoying the pictures and posts of the cruise. It is bringing back good memories for me. I ate some of the hot sausage in the picture in the Epicurean event and I agree, it was only mildly hot to me.

Did you meet Sandro? He came from Sojourn to help out and is one of our favourites.

Julie

Our next stop was another winery where the owners/employees seemed to lack the exuberance I'm used to getting from Napa. This winery also employed a gunshot simulator to keep the birds at bay. I guess it did that but it made for one of the least pleasant tastings I've been to.

DSC_6308-XL.jpg

DSC_6309-XL.jpg

DSC_6313-XL.jpg

DSC_6312-XL.jpg

DSC_6310-XL.jpg

DSC_6311-XL.jpg