Is NCL struggling to fill higher end cabins?

nomad098

Every other post at the moment seems to be about upsells/upgrades especially to the Haven cabins at prices a lot less than the advertised price.

Is this a sign that NCL are struggling to sell these cabins at what they consider the market rate.

Or is this a cunning ploy to get those already booked on the ship into the higher grade cabins at the price that NCL want and anyone booking these cabins at market price is just a bonus?

Every other post at the moment seems to be about upsells/upgrades especially to the Haven cabins at prices a lot less than the advertised price.

Is this a sign that NCL are struggling to sell these cabins at what they consider the market rate.

Or is this a cunning ploy to get those already booked on the ship into the higher grade cabins at the price that NCL want and anyone booking these cabins at market price is just a bonus?

They are struggling to sell them at market rate during slower periods, February and first week of March arent exactly a high volume travel periods.

According to the Miami Herald, Norwegian has had record bookings and strong earnings and profits:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article62010022.html

The article doesn't specifically address higher-cost stateroom categories. But I think we would all acknowledge that cruise prices are up substantially, even as they are inclusive of more perks.

I think the Haven prices are high which is why we stuck with a SF and we are wrap-around aft-suite lovers. We booked our upcoming aft-suite eons ago at a great price. They sold quickly and have been sold out for months but there are still plenty of Haven Suites and a few SE. I don't know if it a struggle to fill the higher end Suites but it is a good marketing tool when an upsell is offered to get more people talking about them.

I don't know if it a struggle to fill the higher end Suites but it is a good marketing tool when an upsell is offered to get more people talking about them.

This is my thinking as well

it's deliberate to create demand

Will people book lower grade cabins at higher prices in the hopes that they might get an upsell therefore filling ships.

This is my thinking as well

it's deliberate to create demand

Will people book lower grade cabins at higher prices in the hopes that they might get an upsell therefore filling ships.

I'd say they have already done a pretty good job. When I frequented the Carnival board, people hoped to get an upgrade call. Here everyone is hoping for an upsell call.

They are struggling to sell them at market rate during slower periods, February and first week of March arent exactly a high volume travel periods.

I'm sailing in Breakaway Haven in August so I'm not expecting there to be too much open by time of sailing but I booked Spa Balcony on Getaway for February 26 of next year. I am hoping that this is not a too busy time of year to travel and will most certainly call for a paid upgrade to Haven Spa if possible. I really want to be there LOL

Which is great because I definitely take advantage of off peak seasons. Got my haven suite for next week.

Given the trouble someone I'm traveling with is having upgrading from an aft penthouse to a 2 bedroom, I don't know. The people she's been talking to are certainly acting like they don't want her money. Granted this is haven room to haven room, but she is trying to do a straight upgrade not an upsell.

I used to travel on NCL in suites, the only cruise line I would book a suite.

Looking now for the fall and Balcony 7 day Breakaway for two is $2k while suite is $6k.

Yes a personal choice but for me $4k more just to get on the boat nope too steep for me.

I probably would do double a balcony if offered as I did enjoy a suite twice before.

FWIW

No, there has just been unusual amount of threads about them (probably because there are now a lot first time NCLers on this board), upsells are nothing new and have been done for ages (already before new regime took over). On some cruises suites sell better and on most cruises the remaining inventory is filled up with upsells.