August crowds out of Galveston?

rok233

I'm looking at a 7 day cruise on August 6th out of Galveston. Does anyone know when the schools and colleges are back in class for the fall semester? I'd like to avoid the kids and college students but have no idea when their classes start.

Louisiana schools start back right around that time but most Texas schools will not be going back for another couple of weeks so I think there could still be a lot of kids on that cruise. Colleges usually do not start that early in August, either. Sorry, don't think this cruise is late enough to be sure of avoiding the kids and college crowd.

Louisiana schools start back right around that time but most Texas schools will not be going back for another couple of weeks so I think there could still be a lot of kids on that cruise. Colleges usually do not start that early in August, either. Sorry, don't think this cruise is late enough to be sure of avoiding the kids and college crowd.

Thanks for the reply. Got an amazing deal for the Freedom but might end up booking an August 27th cruise out of Miami. I've never cruise in the summer months. Is the ship usually overrun with kids and college students? I'm thinking there will be a lot of college students that want to get a vacation in before heading back to college.

Schools usually start towards the end of August....my guess would be August 22nd this year. College kids usually don't start until the beginning of September but many of them head back to their dorms at the beginning of August. I would think there will be quite a few kids on the ship since most kids aren't back in school yet.

Schools usually start towards the end of August....my guess would be August 22nd this year. College kids usually don't start until the beginning of September but many of them head back to their dorms at the beginning of August. I would think there will be quite a few kids on the ship since most kids aren't back in school yet.

Just about every school in our part of Texas begins on August 22. Most colleges that I am familiar with don't start until after Labor Day. We sailed last August out of Galveston, and there were a lot of children and teens, but for some reason I don't really seem to remember a lot of college kids. Either way - it was a great cruise and it wouldn't bother us to cruise then again.

When it come to Galveston cruises just look for the difference in price. Carnival knows most kids are back in school. Usually last two weeks in August. Start dates are Monday or Wednesdays so the majority will be back on the 22 or 24.

College classes start after Labor day but both my girls like to get moved in by mid August. Hope this helps.

We always wait until after Labor Day to cruise, but it still amazes me how many people will take their kids out of school so early in the school year. Also, since there are lots of people in Texas who home school, you can expect to see kids year round. We always cruise in January too and are shocked at the large number of school age kids on the ships in mid January.

To have a totally child free vacation we end up going to an adults only all inclusive in Mexico. Headed there for our vacation in May.

Edited by DebJ14

What stereotypes are on the above posts...

Lots of jeans and boots? Sure, about a dozen.

Public schools in Texas start August 29th, with teachers going back the week prior. Most universities start back the second week in September.

The "vibe" on Texas sailings is no different from any other departure port on a hot summer sailing. The crowd will be be a mix of young people, families with kids under school age and seniors.

7 day cruises have fewer 20's and 30's and about the same number of younger kids. 4-6 day cruises have a younger average age.

We've been aboard the Triumph, and before that the Ecstasy and Celebration on lots of 4-5 day cruises to validate what I've shared. It's close, we go!

Cruise Elegant night on shorter cruises and summer sailings mean a smaller crowd in the dining room and more casual dress. Fewer suits, ties and people dressing up. If you want to go ahead. I usually take a sport coat and wear khakis or slacks and a long sleeve shirt. Haven't taken a tie on a Carnival cruise in the past 20 cruises.

Have a great vacation.

Edited by BallFour4

Did Galveston twice, once during spring break and once for NYE. Didn't really notice much difference as to crowds or rowdiness. I would agree there are a lot more pax from TX and the gulf states.

Galveston town is a typical beach town, except the water is an ugly brown.

We won't do Galveston again, only because during the time we want to cruise the weather hasn't been the best on first day or last day. So basically you loose two nice deck days, which makes my DW very cranky.

I've cruised several times out of Galveston. I feel there is a difference in the vibe - not so much in rowdiness or music being excessively country. I have noticed that the staff on Galveston departures seems to be more talkative & outgoing. Lots of Texas passengers, so maybe it just feels more like home to me. I feel the dress code is pretty laid back as well.

Did Galveston twice, once during spring break and once for NYE. Didn't really notice much difference as to crowds or rowdiness. I would agree there are a lot more pax from TX and the gulf states.

Galveston town is a typical beach town, except the water is an ugly brown.

We won't do Galveston again, only because during the time we want to cruise the weather hasn't been the best on first day or last day. So basically you loose two nice deck days, which makes my DW very cranky.

I won't have to worry about the weather being cold in August. :)

I'm a college student and last spring break I cruised out of Galveston and even then didn't notice "rowdy spring breakers". There was one group of college students that I noticed around the ship a lot mainly because they had a large group so they stood out but they weren't annoying or loud to me.

• 2 months later...
That's for sure - it will be about 9 thousand degrees.

I'm a native Texan. Two things made the Houston/Gulf Coast area possible--oil and air conditioning. Some of the office buildings in Houston are so cold you could hang meat in them!

Thanks for the replies. How's the vibe of the cruises out of Galveston compared to Miami? Is it more of a party atmosphere, more laid back or pretty much the same as Miami sailings?

We've cruised out of both Galveston and Miami. We found the vibe of the crowd in Miami to be a bit more social and open to striking up conversations. Also, out of Galveston, most of the passengers are from Texas or nearby. Out of Miami, we met people from all over the country, and there was also a significantly higher number of non-Americans, which we really loved. It was a diverse, high-energy crowd and we had an amazing time. Also, far less country music on the Splendor vs the Magic and Freedom out of Texas. We loved cruising out of Miami, and will definitely do it again.