Upsell - Upgrade?? Oh, I just want a balcony!

Heather1972

Best (cheapest) way to go from an inside to a balcony on my cruise on the star in just over 3 weeks? When I call the upsell department, they have nothing. Should I call NCL directly or go through my travel agent? TA was through a warehouse corp, not fond of the particular TA I got for this booking.

You can call NCL, but they will probably tell you to call your TA so they don't get into trouble. I did that the other day and that is what they told me (and i'm an at home TA, lol) Or you can keep calling the upsell #...it's worth a shot and you'll probably get a better deal if there are any cabins available. Have you checked on the NCL site for availability?

When I recently called NCL about my booking I asked my rep were there any upgrades currently he could offer. We had an ocean view picture window. He checked and offered me a balcony guarantee for $50 per person. I think it was about a second and a half to decide! Have you checked to see how full your sailing is at this point? More cabins available would equal more chance to upsell? I guess try your TA but then maybe call the regular call line directly to NCL?

There are a lot of balcony cabins available. The current pricing between an inside and a balcony is $100 per person. However, I didn't pay what NCL is currently charging for an inside. I paid much less. I think I'm going to call the regular NCL number just to see what they say.

That's Easter week, one of the busiest weeks of spring break.

Maybe so, but we are on the sailing too, and I checked this morning and there are at least 45 balconies left. Yet the upsell dept keeps telling me they have no offers. Oh and the balcony price has come down from 1099 to 799 in the last week or 2.

I am on the March 13th sailing of the Star. I had been calling the Upsale department and told them I wanted a balcony. They told me that balcony upsells come out the Wednesday before the sail date. Not sure if that is true. However, my TA got me an upgrade from Interior Guarantee to Balcony Guarantee for $100 total and we get to keep the drink package. I am happy with that price.

It took the TA about 5 minutes to make the change. Its worth trying to get ahold of someone. I think you may also be able to transfer your book to a more helpful TA...check into that.

My beef with the TA who handled my reservation was that she was flying through all the costs associated with the cruise. I had to tell her several times to slow down because what she was saying was not the same price I was seeing online. She told me to get with the program! She then commented in how I was in the cheapest inside room, which wasn't true. I was too far into the phone call to start over. :roll eyes: Okay, I changed my mind... sitting on hold with the TA, just not for that agent. Just too curious to see what they say.

Ugh... TA kept coming back to say she was on hold with NCL. She said she checked online and that it would be $340 for the 2 of us to goto guarantee balcony. I asked, "Well, is that going to be the price when you get an answer from NCL?" She said, "Yes." Hmm never mind! Not paying $340.

I like Royal Caribbean's upgrade system much better. Fill out their little questionnaire online about if you want to upgrade and what you are willing to move to. We were automatically upgraded from an obstructed view balcony to a regular balcony on our last cruise on Anthem of the Seas. No phone calls. No emails. They just did it. Easy peasy. $1000 I didn't have to spend!

Are you on the star on the 20th? We are on that sailing and were able to get an up sell from balcony to penthouse last week. It wasn't a crazy good deal, but I really wanted it and am happy with the total price we paid. I would keep trying. I have heard they up sell people to suites first, then closer to sailing up sell to balcony/oceanview cabins. Maybe more like 10-15 days before sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If someone really wants a balcony then he should book a balcony from the start..I never understood all this about upsells and upgrade fairies etc...you are fine with an inside!?Book an inside..You only like a balcony then book a balcony..I have booked from inside to a suite on my previous sailings always from the start and always at the price i was fine with...if a balcony was wirth it then i would book if not an oceanview or inside would be fine for me for the right money

We sail next Sunday on the Breakaway. Last weekend my TA was able to move us from an inside to a balcony, and add in the SDP as well as the beverage package at $180 pp including all taxes and fees. I don't know who she called at NCL but we were really happy with that!

Cruisingforfun72...give it another 10 days or so and try again. Being told that there are no up sells available means that the revenue dept. has not released them yet and are hoping someone will pay full price...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Gave it another shot 16 days out. They have around 100 cabins still available on this cruise (I can see from another website). I keep getting the same upsell representative on the phone. She didn't tell me to go to my travel agent this time, just that they haven't released the balcony rooms yet. She said to try 1 week out.

Keep checking those cabin inventory closely as you get closer to within 2 to 3 weeks - it's "Economics 101" or supply & demand, especially during holiday/school breaks, etc.

Agent on the other end of the phone/call center isn't paid to come up with the best deals at the lowest prices, not on their "scripted" responses. As it get closer and if the inventory remains high, prices will (if and that is a "IF") begin to reflect (adjusted) accordingly to move the unsold ones, upsell as necessary, etc. It's not that unusual for upsell to NOT be offered until 3 to 6 days before the sailing - and, regardless of the category of staterooms - you are on that ship ... no matter what.

Fingers crossed & keep dreaming :D ;)

If someone really wants a balcony then he should book a balcony from the start..I never understood all this about upsells and upgrade fairies etc...you are fine with an inside!?Book an inside..You only like a balcony then book a balcony..I have booked from inside to a suite on my previous sailings always from the start and always at the price i was fine with...if a balcony was wirth it then i would book if not an oceanview or inside would be fine for me for the right money

I think upsells are a completely reasonable thing to do that a lot of people utilize. I had never done it before until my last cruise and booked a guarantee inside with the plan to go for an upsell. I did exactly that a few days before to a balcony for $150 total. I saved almost $1000 from what the original price for the balcony was. I would be fine with an inside on port-heavy itineraries, but why not try for a good deal? It can't hurt you. I definitely prefer balconies, but I think I may do something similar on future cruises. (and hopefully eventually to suites/Haven/penthouses :))

Well of course I really want Haven, but not everyone wants to spend that much money right? Things would be different if the prices did not go up and down. I booked the best inside for how much I wanted to spend.