Internet Access for Flight Check In

violetsmile

We're cruising on the Valor in a few short weeks, and I just realized for the first time ever, we're flying out the day we debark. We fly Southwest, so in order to get a decent boarding position, you have to check in 24 hours in advance. We usually completely disconnect when we're on a cruise, so I've never paid any attention to internet access options.

Are there computers available to check in for flights? If there aren't, I'm wondering if we would just be better off paying the fee to be in the A boarding group and not have to worry about check in. We don't plan to have any kind of internet plan on board, and I don't want to accidentally end up with a charge on our phone if I turn it on the check in, and then get texts and voicemails coming in accidentally.

If you've had to check in for a flight while on board a ship, what did you do?

Thanks!

I paid for the value plan for my last cruise so I could stay in touch with work, so I was able to check in with Southwest. But, if you don't want to worry about it, I'd pay the $12.50 for early bird check in. Only one of you has to do it and save a seat for the other.

We're cruising on the Valor in a few short weeks, and I just realized for the first time ever, we're flying out the day we debark. We fly Southwest, so in order to get a decent boarding position, you have to check in 24 hours in advance. We usually completely disconnect when we're on a cruise, so I've never paid any attention to internet access options.

Are there computers available to check in for flights? If there aren't, I'm wondering if we would just be better off paying the fee to be in the A boarding group and not have to worry about check in. We don't plan to have any kind of internet plan on board, and I don't want to accidentally end up with a charge on our phone if I turn it on the check in, and then get texts and voicemails coming in accidentally.

If you've had to check in for a flight while on board a ship, what did you do?

Thanks!

There's computers on board that you can access to get your boarding passes. DO NOT GIVE SOUTHWEST $12.50 to get a better seat! It's a rip off and there's no guarantees you're going to be in the "A" group. Been there done that.

Go to the internet cafe and log on 24 hours prior to your departure. Log in to Southwest, put in all your info and the second it meets the 24 hour departure, click on the "check in" button. If you do it too early it won't accept it. You've got to be right on.

I don't know what Carnival charges for the internet now, but that's the fastest and best way to do it. Might cost you less than $15.

From the Southwest website:

Automatic Check-In

Whether you choose to print your boarding pass the day before or just hours before the flight, your confirmed boarding position will be ready and waiting for you. Now you can print your boarding pass as your schedule allows.

Better Boarding Position

We'll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure - that's 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. While EarlyBird Check-In doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat.

Earlier Access to Overhead Bins

Got bags? We've got room. By boarding earlier you'll get your pick of available overhead bin space.

------------------------

In March, they're increasing the price from $12.50 to $15 and allowing you to check in earlier than 24 hours prior. But it still doesn't guarantee that you'll be in the "A" section. So, what's the point? I paid the extra once and ended up at the last of the "B" section. I've had better luck getting right on it for check in and ended up in the "A" list.

Edited by elliair

Hmmm...I don't always pay for it, but I do when I can't check in at the 24 hour mark for whatever reason.

While you may be right, sometimes I have gotten in the early B group, it is still well early enough to snag two seats together. It doesn't get dicey until the end of B group.

Ultimately, you have to do what is best for you.

I don't know what Carnival charges for the internet now, but that's the fastest and best way to do it. Might cost you less than $15.

Hmm...right now, even though the flight is in March, it's still $12.50 when I log into my account. Seems like definitely $12.50 is worth "might cost less than $15." The last think I want to do on the final night of the cruise is buy some internet and scramble around trying to get my flight taken care of.

With checking in on my phone, I've almost always had great luck with getting low B numbers (as low as 5 and 6), so I feel like even if we're in B boarding, it'll be better than checking in late.

Only one of you has to do it and save a seat for the other.

Thanks for that! I didn't even think about it, but you're right--with the way Southwest boards, we definitely don't both need it. There are always empty seats that you walk by. Neither of us actually carries much on, so it's not about overhead bin space--it's more about being able to sit together and get off the plane quickly after the flight.

There's computers on board that you can access to get your boarding passes. DO NOT GIVE SOUTHWEST $12.50 to get a better seat! It's a rip off and there's no guarantees you're going to be in the "A" group. Been there done that.

Go to the internet cafe and log on 24 hours prior to your departure. Log in to Southwest, put in all your info and the second it meets the 24 hour departure, click on the "check in" button. If you do it too early it won't accept it. You've got to be right on.

From the Southwest website:

Automatic Check-In

Whether you choose to print your boarding pass the day before or just hours before the flight, your confirmed boarding position will be ready and waiting for you. Now you can print your boarding pass as your schedule allows.

Better Boarding Position

We'll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure - that's 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. While EarlyBird Check-In doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat.

Earlier Access to Overhead Bins

Got bags? We've got room. By boarding earlier you'll get your pick of available overhead bin space.

------------------------

In March, they're increasing the price from $12.50 to $15 and allowing you to check in earlier than 24 hours prior. But it still doesn't guarantee that you'll be in the "A" section. So, what's the point? I paid the extra once and ended up at the last of the "B" section. I've had better luck getting right on it for check in and ended up in the "A" list.

I always give SW the additional fee and it is well worth it. Always have been in the first group boarding.

Keith

I paid for the value plan for my last cruise so I could stay in touch with work, so I was able to check in with Southwest. But, if you don't want to worry about it, I'd pay the $12.50 for early bird check in. Only one of you has to do it and save a seat for the other.

*Sigh* that is so incredibly wrong. I hate it when people break the rules and are that inconsiderate. If only one of you pays, then only one of you should get the benefit. You are worse than a chair hog if you do that.

If you are going to be that rude person at least don't take an exit row seat. I will sit in the middle seat of an exit row as opposed to any other. I have been on several southwest flights where selfish people tried to save a seat for someone who didn't have early check in. Luckily, I was able to get an exit row anyway, but if a "saved" seat was the only exit row seat then I would sit there no matter what the "saver" said.

Wow. I doubt very much that someone is going to want the middle seat I am saving for my husband as there is a whole plane of middle seats to choose from. I does NOT state in the Southwest rules that you are required to both purchase Early Saver....Unless you are booked under the same ticket.

Save your indignation for someone else.

Early Bird has been worth it to us.

I'd pay the $12.50 for early bird check in. Only one of you has to do it and save a seat for the other.

Hate to break it to you, but there's no seat saving on Southwest. Saw that happen on our last flight. This woman was saving seats for someone who did not pay the $12.50. She told people "these seats are saved." The woman who had a child said "I'm sitting there with my child." The woman saving the seats protested to the steward and the steward told her no seat saving. If she or anyone wants to sit there they can. I snickered cuz it reminded me so much of chair hogs on the ship. When it was time to disembark I told the lady who had the child "way to go, you stood in line just like everyone else had to."

So you might want to take that into account about saving a seat, I just may want to sit there.

Edited by elliair

Wow. I doubt very much that someone is going to want the middle seat I am saving for my husband as there is a whole plane of middle seats to choose from. I does NOT state in the Southwest rules that you are required to both purchase Early Saver....Unless you are booked under the same ticket.

Save your indignation for someone else.

Of course you would both have to purchase the early bird check in if you both want your pick of seats. That's how the whole thing works. It isn't early bird check in for couples. It's early bird check in for 1 boarding pass. If my boarding pass has an earlier number than your husband's, then I have every right to sit in that middle seat when it is my turn to board.

To be fair, I am mostly frustrated by the people who do this in an exit row since that is a much more desirable location. If you pick a random Aisle or Window and want to save the middle seat chances are no one will care. However, I'm 6'5" and the difference in legroom between an exit row and normal seat will drastically effect my comfort level on a plane so I always pay the extra fee to board early.

It is either give SW the $$$ or give them to Carnival. In the end EB is going to get you further up in line than 24 hour checkin. If you can't get A group with EB, you aren't going to get it at 24 hour checkin.

I would go for the EB and not have to worry about it and have to take the time out of your trip to find the computer, log in and checkin. There may also be connection issues and their bandwidth is limited, so expect a slow process.

Edited by dioxide45

It is either give SW the $$$ or give them to Carnival. In the end EB is going to get you further up in line than 24 hour checkin. If you can't get A group with EB, you aren't going to get it at 24 hour checkin.

I would go for the EB and not have to worry about it and have to take the time out of your trip to find the computer, log in and checkin. There may also be connection issues and their bandwidth is limited, so expect a slow process.

My only gripe is that EB does not guarantee you to be in the "A" group. The last 3 times I've done the 24-hour check in, both DH and I got into the "A" group. No hassles so far on all the cruises we've been on getting to the computer and printing out our boarding passes. We've also done it for other people standing and waiting to print theirs. On Princess, we get 250 minutes each for free. We never use all of our minutes. :p

EB might not guarantee you are in "A", but you will still be ahead of the 24 hr check in people.

Departing I can usually sit at the computer at 24 hrs and do the check in. Although the last couple of times I have been high A or low B, even clicking and clicking and clicking as the seconds count down.

Return flights home it's well worth the EB fee to not worry about it.

My only gripe is that EB does not guarantee you to be in the "A" group. The last 3 times I've done the 24-hour check in, both DH and I got into the "A" group. No hassles so far on all the cruises we've been on getting to the computer and printing out our boarding passes. We've also done it for other people standing and waiting to print theirs. On Princess, we get 250 minutes each for free. We never use all of our minutes. :p

There is no guaranty because SW doesn't limit the number of EB that they sell. The earlier you sign up for EB the better your chances. If you are booking right when flights are released and adding EB, your chances of getting A group is pretty good. If you are waiting like the OP is until closer to the flight, then you are further back in the EB line and you could easily end up in B group. It all depends on how many people sign up for EB.

On Carnival, you get 24 hours for five dollars. You can check in and print your boarding pass.

Isn't that just the Social Internet Package? I think it does include some airline websites to allow for checkin. We found using the internet for Carnival's own website to be painful.

On Carnival, you get 24 hours for five dollars. You can check in and print your boarding pass.

We used to check-in and print in the lab on the ship. Now we check in using the wifi on the ship with the Delta app on our cell phones and use the boarding passes on the app. One less piece of paper to keep up with. As previous AirTran flyers we don't like Southwest. And because we fly out of ATL we get excellent rates from Delta. Our round-trip for 2 in May is $400.

Edited by lylone

We always get EB when we fly SW and have always been in group A. They automatically check you in 36 hours before your flight, you don't have to do a thing.

Yes, you do, you have to stand in line and check your bags in. We fly out of Sacto, there's no curb side check in when we arrive. We stood in line even with paying the early check in. I don't see the advantage. At LAX at least they have curb side check in with baggage. We're good to go without the added costs for nothing.

So I don't know what port Valor sails out of, but you basically have 3 options here: 1. Pay for internet on ship.

2. Luggage express (https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1376/~/luggage-express-(airline-and-luggage-check-in-service) ($20 p/p but besides check in your bags up to two, go on without you to home airport)

or 3. Arrange to have someone else check in for you online.

We have had our son do this before and is a good option for us. Option number two we will be trying after our b2b come December. Only problem with option two, is that there has to be enough people that sign up for the program for it to be offered. We will do option 2 and hope that option 3 is available. It would be very nice to walk off the ship and not have to worry about bags until I get to my home airport.