Freedom VOOM internet

DrD

Ok, last update from about 3 weeks ago was that wires were being installed for VOOM on the Freedom. Any updates? If anyone is going in the few weeks, could you please ask? Thanks in advance.

Have heard nothing about Voom coming to any ship soon.

I wonder what wires were being installed? The ship already has pervasive wireless.

The support structures for Voom were being installed last week and this week. You can see the installed structure minus the electronics in the background and the prep for the other structure in the foreground.e3ba51289f50eaf6b8e8e872f8e028ed.jpg

Edited by Aduntu

The support structures for Voom were being installed last week and this week. You can see the installed structure minus the electronics in the background and the prep for the other structure in the foreground.

So you are thinking that Voom takes two separate satellite antennas?

So you are thinking that Voom takes two separate satellite antennas?

Yes, I believe so (see image from O3b). The first was prepped during the week of 2/7 and installed while docked in PC on 2/14. During the next week they were prepping for the other side, which is shown in the photo.

I spoke with a contractor involved and he confirmed their purpose but apologized they wouldn't be ready for that week's cruise.

afb6877550a550b6c0f01e1502c37412.jpg

Edited by Aduntu

Yes, I believe so (see image from O3b). The first was prepped during the week of 2/7 and installed while docked in PC on 2/14. During the next week they were prepping for the other side, which is shown in the photo.

I spoke with a contractor involved and he confirmed their purpose but apologized they wouldn't be ready for that week's cruise.

Thank-you for this, I really appreciate it.

Thanks. I was probably thinking about those when I said "wires."

And a few months ago someone posted that a crew member told them Voom was combing to Freedom in February. So I'm hopeful we'll have it.

And a few months ago someone posted that a crew member told them Voom was combing to Freedom in February. So I'm hopeful we'll have it.

Well, we do have an extra day in February this year.:rolleyes:

Here's the post I was thinking of, from November:

I was on the Freedom last month and the Hotel Director indicated they were hopeful the Internet upgrade should be completed by sometime in February.

I think your sailing may be cutting it close, but not impossible. Once the antennas are in place, the rest of the hardware (modem, router, etc) will come onboard preconfigured. The kicker will be the testing process and how long they run the existing WAN in tandem with the O3b service. Considering the wired/wireless infrastructure is already in place throughout the ship, moving to a new WAN is really not the most difficult thing to do.

Edited by Aduntu

I will say having experienced this upgraded internet on Quantum last April, then the older internet on Freedom in November, the difference was unbelievable. It literally was going from dial up to high speed. As most have already said I am hoping for fleet wide implementation as well.

Maybe we'll get some reports from people who are sailing in the next few weeks.

I'll be sailing on Freedom of the Seas in two weeks. If there is VOOM available then, I'll be sure to post here to let people know (if it isn't common knowledge already as I'm sure plenty of other people would ecstatically share the good news :)).

Quick question. If I have a mifi card and connect that to the voom or to the ships internet, that would count as one device. Can I then connect my other devices, IPads, computer, etc., to the mifi and only be counted as one device?

Quick question. If I have a mifi card and connect that to the voom or to the ships internet, that would count as one device. Can I then connect my other devices, IPads, computer, etc., to the mifi and only be counted as one device?

If I'm understanding the device you're talking about, a MiFi is a device for connecting to a cellular network, not a Wi-Fi network. It could theoretically connect to the Cellular at Sea network, but then you'd be paying an inordinate amount for international roaming on your cellular data plan.

Others here have used "travel routers" to share a Wi-Fi signal among several devices, but I'm not as familiar with them.

Note that the "one device" limitation is per concurrent device. You could disconnect from one device and log in on another to use that one.

I don't think you want to use your MiFi device, because you would be using very slow, very expensive cellular data.

I'll be sailing on Freedom of the Seas in two weeks. If there is VOOM available then, I'll be sure to post here to let people know (if it isn't common knowledge already as I'm sure plenty of other people would ecstatically share the good news :)).

Thanks! Have a great time. Keep her warm for us.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2299753

Short answer, no. They're wise to it and have blocked it.