Protection For The Camera Due To Cold Weather

Keith1010

Lots of good ideas and info here, especially about bringing cold cameras back inside. If you need to use the camera quickly inside and cannot wait for it to warm up a hair dryer is a big help, but keeping it inside a ziplock bag is important too. You really do not want all of that condensation around your gear. I love thinktank's product but I find their hydro phobia cover a nusiance to use. I beta tested the first one they made for the 400mm 2,8 and returned it after a few weeks. It was just too cumbersome for me. I now use those cheapie ones that are basicly a plastic bag with a draw string. It goes on quicker and I find I can get to the controls of my cameras more easily but keep in mind that I am an old guy now....

Don, I understand. Just wanted to explain that I do it because I do appreciate when people provide thoughtful and informative responses to my questions and also so people know that I am reading them. As someone who on other threads and boards tries to answer a lot of questions sometimes when there is silence from the original poster one doesn't even know if they are even reading the responses.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

. . . Popcorn is superior to beans, as the angularity of the kernels interlock to give solidity.

Thanks for posting the (excellent) list; having also been to Antarctica, it was fun to read through it as it brought back incredible memories. I had to smile at the popcorn kernel advice, though. Imagine running around Ushuaia looking for unpopped popcorn! :)

Hi Turtles06!

Thank you (and donaldsc) for all the great tips for my Antarctica (and Northern Lights) trips.

Given the strict weight restrictions for our trip to Antarctica, I took sunflower seeds for my bean bag. They are lightweight and worked great.

Woody

Also, for the lens I always use lens filters but is there any advantage in terms of photo quality using any special filters other than standard filters.

Advantage? Sure, take the filter off. See https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/06/good-times-with-bad-filters/ If those three images side-by-side showing the view through five bad filters, five good filters, and no filter isn't enough to convince you, then ignore me, but otherwise, ditch the UV filter and use your lens hood. Let the hood be the sacrificial element if you drop it. That same company did an analysis and determined that (at least with a large sample set) the cost to repair drop damage was less than the cost to equip every (capable) lens with a UV filter.

In my prior employment I needed to use my DSLR in some very hostile temps (Wyoming mountains) and weather.

My favorite, to keep the camera handy and weatherproof are the DiCapac waterproof cases. You will still have problems with condensation. I usually keep a few bags of desiccant in the bottom of the case to help with moisture.

As others have said a spare battery next to your body.

51CA8h5JWZL._SY450_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/DiCAPac-WP-S10-DSLR-Camera-Waterproof/dp/B00169HXW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460050568&sr=8-1&keywords=dicapac