Advanced Seating on Southwest

kstrickman

We're sailing on the Conquest this may, we paid for early bird check in on Southwest but now we're thinking of using luggage express. Carnival website says they will check us in and print our luggage tags and boarding passes, will this change our boarding position if carnival checks us in after Southwest early bird assigned us a boarding position already?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Really. Wow this is good to know about the price increase. I better hurry up and get it.

How is it that only one person needs to get it? You can save seats?

Yup saving seats using an item like a coat or bag is how you can get away with buying only one. I do this all the time when I travel with my family or friends. If there are 3 of us, just 1 will buy it and save the seats for the other 2. If 4 or more of us, we'll buy two EB's.

We also pay the $12 pp for Early Bird.

Well worth it.

Don't want to have to worry about that on the last day of our cruise.:D:D

Usually end up with A, but sometimes B.

We bought the early check in last year for our return flight and we were in the B group. I was like no problem there were probably a lot of people who bought it and we'd still be sitting together.

While sitting in the airport waiting for boarding to begin they announced that anybody wanting to board with the A group they could come up and pay the $12.50.

I thought that was kind of crazy since we were in the B group but it is what it is.:)

Bill

We're sailing on the Conquest this may, we paid for early bird check in on Southwest but now we're thinking of using luggage express. Carnival website says they will check us in and print our luggage tags and boarding passes, will this change our boarding position if carnival checks us in after Southwest early bird assigned us a boarding position already?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

No won't effect your boarding position. SW checks you in 36 hours in advance and at 24 hours prior to departure you can click the check in button as many times as you want and your boarding position will stay the same.

We bought the early check in last year for our return flight and we were in the B group. I was like no problem there were probably a lot of people who bought it and we'd still be sitting together.

While sitting in the airport waiting for boarding to begin they announced that anybody wanting to board with the A group they could come up and pay the $12.50.

I thought that was kind of crazy since we were in the B group but it is what it is.:)

Bill

What they probably did was discount the 1 - 15 group A seats which normally go for between $15 - $50. I've seen them offer the seats for $30 but never $12.50. But it's an airline so anything is possible since they'll always attempt to make a quick extra buck.

Yup saving seats using an item like a coat or bag is how you can get away with buying only one. I do this all the time when I travel with my family or friends. If there are 3 of us, just 1 will buy it and save the seats for the other 2. If 4 or more of us, we'll buy two EB's.

Interesting. Thanks for replying. There will be 4 of us. 2 kids. 2 adults. Not sure how I can make buying two work in that case. And this family boarding stuff - I guess my kids are too old for that at 8 and 13 by the time we leave.

What do most cruisers do to get advanced seating on return home trip on Southwest when at sea? Do you buy computer time to get advanced seating or do you pre-pay $12. to get advanced seating before you leave for the cruise? We have never bought computer time on our past cruises but we have heard of poor and slow connections. What's the best way?

Probably cheaper just to do the early bird check in for 12 bucks anyway. Also it allows you to not worry about it while on vacation!

Interesting. Thanks for replying. There will be 4 of us. 2 kids. 2 adults. Not sure how I can make buying two work in that case. And this family boarding stuff - I guess my kids are too old for that at 8 and 13 by the time we leave.

You can do EB for you and one of the kids, then hold 3 seats on your side and seat your child in the aisle seat across from you. 4 seats total :) It's best to have the two without EB check in exactly 24 prior to departure because that will likely give them a B position and they will board not too long after you. Just go towards the middle of the plan and you won't have a problem with seats filling up around you or dirty stares from other passengers

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

As a regular Southwest Flyer and someone who always buys the early bird. Please don't save 3 seats (especially in prime rows). The person who suggested that is probably someone who goes out at 7am and puts 6 towels on chairs around the pools.

You can put stuff on seats, but if someone wants the seat, the flight attendants will make you give it up. If the two adults put two dollars away for the next 12 days.....then you just bought your early bird check in for all 4 of you. It's easy...

After a cruise we always do EB. Otherwise I check us in at the 24 hour mark and most times we are in A.

Once, traveling with friends they did EB and I checked us in at the 24 hour mark. We were ahead of them in A. :eek:

On our last SW we did EB and ended up in a middle B position. I sent SW a very nice email and they refunded the money. ;)

Edited by janetz

As a regular Southwest Flyer and someone who always buys the early bird. Please don't save 3 seats (especially in prime rows). The person who suggested that is probably someone who goes out at 7am and puts 6 towels on chairs around the pools.

You can put stuff on seats, but if someone wants the seat, the flight attendants will make you give it up. If the two adults put two dollars away for the next 12 days.....then you just bought your early bird check in for all 4 of you. It's easy...

I don't use the lounge chairs, I burn easy ;). But anyway Southwest is free for all seating and I'd estimate that 99.9999% of people who travel Southwest with family do the same thing and there's no shame in it. Southwest doesn't do anything to keep people together so it's up to us passengers to do it our own way.

You can do EB for you and one of the kids, then hold 3 seats on your side and seat your child in the aisle seat across from you. 4 seats total :) It's best to have the two without EB check in exactly 24 prior to departure because that will likely give them a B position and they will board not too long after you. Just go towards the middle of the plan and you won't have a problem with seats filling up around you or dirty stares from other passengers

To the Southwest chogs, you can try to save seats all you want, but let me tell you this: I do the honest thing and pay for Early Bird for both my husband and I. If you are ever on one of my flights and your "chogging" prevents my husband and I from sitting together, your non-paying relatives/friends will have to find seating elsewhere. Period. They don't get the right to part-take in a benefit they are not paying for.

Not to mention that, as soon as Southwest gets wind of this little practice, I'm sure they will put an end to seat-saving.

To the Southwest chogs, you can try to save seats all you want, but let me tell you this: I do the honest thing and pay for Early Bird for both my husband and I. If you are ever on one of my flights and your "chogging" prevents my husband and I from sitting together, your non-paying relatives/friends will have to find seating elsewhere. Period. They don't get the right to part-take in a benefit they are not paying for.

Not to mention that, as soon as Southwest gets wind of this little practice, I'm sure they will put an end to seat-saving.

So what you're saying is that a family of 4 should pay extra money each way just to have a chance to sit together? And that you and your husband get to pay half that amount for that same privilege? And that's fair? I'm sorry but I would never be that person that tries to take a seat from someone who wants to sit with their child. Karma sucks for vindictive people and I'd hate to be on your side of that karma :rolleyes:

And as stated before... Southwest is open seating so you and your husband are owed nothing, whether you board first or last you're just like everyone else on that plane.

Now now folks, you can just calm down. I was only asking a follow up question to what another person said about only needing to buy one early bird. A person who also identified himself/herself as a seasoned SW flyer.

This will be our first time flying with them. I love the no baggage fee thing but I totally do not like the no assigned seats thing. Paying for early bird, as I said in my previous post, wipes out the money we save checking in bags one way. In fact the flights themselves were not that much cheaper than other carriers we've used. The savings was mostly in not having to pay for checked luggage. Also, SW had the best options for flight times.

I would rather pay one way - all four of us - and none of us one way and just make sure I check us in right at 24 hours - than just pay for two of us and put one of my kids in the position of having to save a seat. I appreciate the suggestion but I wouldn't do that. The other frequent flyer with SW made that statement, so I asked. It will work itself out. And if I don't like it, I probably won't fly SW again. If people are paying for early bird and still getting b slots, then maybe I won't bother getting it at all. I will make up my mind soon though since another poster said the price goes up in a few days.

So what you're saying is that a family of 4 should pay extra money each way just to have a chance to sit together? And that you and your husband get to pay half that amount for that same privilege? And that's fair? I'm sorry but I would never be that person that tries to take a seat from someone who wants to sit with their child. Karma sucks for vindictive people and I'd hate to be on your side of that karma :rolleyes:

And as stated before... Southwest is open seating so you and your husband are owed nothing, whether you board first or last you're just like everyone else on that plane.

No. What they are saying is if they pay for the Early Bird Check in, and get on the plane, and people are saving seats for people who DID NOT pay for that service, he will move their stuff.

Rightfully so!!!!!

No karma involved.

So what you're saying is that a family of 4 should pay an extra $100 each way ($200 total) just to have a chance to sit together? And that you and your husband get to pay half that amount for that same privilege? And that's fair? I'm sorry but I would never be that person that tries to take a seat from someone who wants to sit with their child. Karma sucks for vindictive people and I'd hate to be on your side of that karma :rolleyes:

I have moved around before to accommodate other passengers. And these were seats I picked. If I can help someone out, I really don't mind. So long as it doesn't put me in too much of an imposition. Much easier to find two seats together than 4. Everyone is different. Glad I'm not like that.

No. What they are saying is if they pay for the Early Bird Check in, and get on the plane, and people are saving seats for people who DID NOT pay for that service, he will move their stuff.

Rightfully so!!!!!

No karma involved.

EB only allows you a higher boarding position and a chance at a preferred seat (read the terms).. It doesn't guarantee you a seat of your choice nor does it give anyone the right to prevent a family from sitting together. Do what you wish but that karma will come back around..

I have moved around before to accommodate other passengers. And these were seats I picked. If I can help someone out, I really don't mind. So long as it doesn't put me in too much of an imposition. Much easier to find two seats together than 4. Everyone is different. Glad I'm not like that.

Totally agree. I've done the same on airlines with selected seats and on Southwest. It's just common decency and thoughtfulness that I wish others would have. Anyone who fly's SW knows that their boarding system for families is messed up and needs to be re-worked.

EB only allows you a higher boarding position and a chance at a preferred seat (read the terms).. It doesn't guarantee you a seat of your choice nor does it give anyone the right to prevent a family from sitting together. Do what you wish but that karma will come back around..

It also DOES NOT permit saving seats for family/friends in Boarding group C.

Sorry.

For what it's worth, I considered only purchasing one EB for two of us, but saving a seat also seemed stressful because I don't like breaking rules and didn't want to risk any confrontations with someone wanting my saved seat--that's just not how I want to end my vacation--so I bought it for each of us. I only bought EB for the flight home, not the flight there, since internet access on the front end isn't an issue.

Would it ruin my vacation if the two seats we wanted were being saved for someone who didn't pay the fee when we did? No. Would I be vaguely annoyed? Yes. When it comes down to it, most of us cruise on a budget. We pick and choose our priorities. Ease of boarding, sitting where and with whom I want on the flight home was a priority, so I paid for it. Personally, I've always been pleased with SW's system, and this is why I fly with them. If you find out that their system doesn't work for your family, you'll know not to use them in the future. Even $50 for a family of 4 to board sooner and hopefully together seems worth it to me.

It also DOES NOT permit saving seats for family/friends in Boarding group C.

Sorry.

Wait so if you don't get EB, you get group C for boarding??? Or are you just saying that?

Sorry but there's alot of conflicting information when you start asking questions about flying with SW. Just like someone said that if you buy EB that you still need to make sure you check in 24 hours before. I didn't know you still had to check in. Isnt that what EB does for you? Much less still needing to be right by a computer. I figure you only need to print your boarding passes. This went around and around on another page until the discussion just died. Never got any clarity on that. Now I'm hearing no EB puts you in group C. Some people buy EB and get group B. Others don't and get A. So what are you paying for??:eek:?

I don't mind what I spend on vacation or anything else so long as it makes a measure of sense.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Wait so if you don't get EB, you get group C for boarding??? Or are you just saying that?

Sorry but there's alot of conflicting information when you start asking questions about flying with SW. Just like someone said that if you buy EB that you still need to make sure you check in 24 hours before. I didn't know you still had to check in. Isnt that what EB does for you? Much less still needing to be right by a computer. I figure you only need to print your boarding passes. This went around and around on another page until the discussion just died. Never got any clarity on that. Now I'm hearing no EB puts you in group C. Some people buy EB and get group B. Others don't and get A. So what are you paying for??:eek:?

I don't mind what I spend on vacation or anything else so long as it makes a measure of sense.

If you buy EB you usually get A, sometimes early B depending on how many purchase it. Once you buy it all you have to do is get your boarding passes.

If you just check in online at the 24 hour mark you will probably be in the mide B's. We were just on Southwest 2 weeks ago and got B21 by just checking in online but that was before the cruise which is much easier to do without EB.

The longer you wait to check in online without EB the more chance you have of being in the "C" group.

Bill