Where in Provence

mskaufman

We assume you are only talking about a Port day in Marseille. (if you were staying in Provence we would have different advice). You also do not say whether you are planning to do independent travel that day or simply book tours. Like another poster, we have also stayed in St Remy (rented part of a villa) and as much as we enjoy being a resident of St Remy we have never thought it was a great place to spend part of a port day (we used to watch the cruise tours in town). The weekly market is fun, but otherwise St Remy is a relatively quiet laid back community.

We do recommend both Avignon (a relatively large bustling city) and Les Baux. Another interesting place is Pont du Gard which also pairs well with a tour to Avignon.

As to Arles, it is also a pretty large city with its share of charms. But about 2 years ago, while DW and I were spending time in an Avignon apartment we drove down to Arles for its weekly market (we love French markets) and were totally shocked. The market was more of an Arab/Muslim market then a typical French Market. We know that Arles has a large Muslim community, but had no clue that they were taking over the market place. Since we stay in France to experience things French, this was a shock. It was only a few years ago that the French were demonstrating to prevent their country from being "Americanized." Now, that seems to be the least of their problems when trying to preserve their own culture.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks Hank. This is a one day port stop. There are so many choices. I am leaning towards a tour that pairs Arles and Le Baux. Others in my travelling circle have other suggestions (e.g., St Remy, Avignon or Roussillon)

Last year we went to Avignon and enjoyed seeing the historical center of the city and the awesome Palace of the Popes, but my guide also offers tours in st Rémy and Les Beaux to explore the beautiful mountain range, its sweet countryside with olive trees and vineyards, olive oil tasting, wine tasting. We invited other passenger to join and shared the costs.

mskaufman

I thought you were considering a holiday, but as it is a cruise stop I would choose Arles and Le Baux. Avignon is nice, but I thought Arles had a nicer feel about it. Whichever you choose I don't think you will be disappointed.

mskaufman

I thought you were considering a holiday, but as it is a cruise stop I would choose Arles and Le Baux. Avignon is nice, but I thought Arles had a nicer feel about it. Whichever you choose I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thanks for the feedback