Favorite alternativee restaurant on QM2

Tampa Girl

We will be taking our first cruise on the QM2 in May. We would appreciate any recommedations as to the alternative restaurants available, please. Thanks.

Unless you are Travelling in Queens or Princes Grill, You only have one Actual alternative and that is Todd English, soon to be The Verandah after refit.

If you were travelling Princess or Queens Grill you would also have the Alternative of The Magnificent Britannia Restaurant (Britannia being the Main Restaurant )

QM2 has themed nights in a sectioned off area of Kings Court The self service Restaurant, (Soon to be The Lido after refit)

I prefer going up to Kings Court for the themed nights, being Coriander (Indian)

and Lotus (Asian)

QM2 also does La Piazza (Italian)

Each themed night has a surcharge of $15 which is well worth it.

Each one of the the above themed night is usually run for two to three nights in a sectioned off area of Kings Court, Served with Tables with Table Cloths and waiter service as opposed to self service in the remainder.

see

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/example_menu

Edited by Pennbank

Thank you for the info and sending the link to the menus. What are the customary dishes in Todd English and how would you rate the restaurant on a scale of one to ten? We will be a Princess Grill, if that makes any difference. Thanks, again.

Thank you for the info and sending the link to the menus. What are the customary dishes in Todd English and how would you rate the restaurant on a scale of one to ten? We will be a Princess Grill, if that makes any difference. Thanks, again.

I personally do not enjoy Todd English and am looking forward the The Verandah. So for me 3 ! But everyone has different taste buds.

The Menu are here for the selective venue depending on ship.

As you are Grills passenger and will have a table in the Princess Grill side of The Grills, you must visit the Britannia Restaurant and experience a meal sitting in it, the obvious choice would be breakfast or lunch.

The Captains Table is no. 72

Edited by Pennbank

I personally do not enjoy Todd English and am looking forward the The Verandah. So for me 3 ! But everyone has different taste buds.

The Menu are here for the selective venue depending on ship.

As you are Grills passenger and will have a table in the Princess Grill side of The Grills, you must visit the Britannia Restaurant and experience a meal sitting in it, the obvious choice would be breakfast or lunch.

The Captains Table is no. 72

I read a review of the QM2 restaurants, and I have to say that the menu of the Todd English did not appeal to me. As I understand it, the Britannia has the far better atmosphere, as compared to the Grills. And the food and menu are very good, also? I like your suggestion of lunch.

So here are my two cents' worth of advice: I agree with the others about Todd English, definitely meh...so buh-bye as far as I am concerned. On the other hand, we have always loved the special pop-ups in Kings Court, Lotus and Coriander in particular, bearing in mind that we love ethnic food. BTW, if you like spicy, ask for spicy since they can dumb it down a bit. But beware...it's still Kings Court dressed up, so even though you've got white table cloths, if you look to the side, you can see the milk machine, and it still seems as though you are dining in a high school cafeteria. Beg to be seated in the window area where you can ignore the cafeteria equipment. Unfortunately it's a bit impossible to ignore the crashing dishes being washed in the kitchen area. More high school cafeteria. Will the rehab address this? I pray...

My experience is getting dated - May 2014.

We had one lunch and one dinner in Todd English and enjoyed it very much.

The food was great and the service was fine.

The sommelier, Tatiana I think, was just excellent. She really made it a special meal.

I would eat there again … there was a chocolate dessert that was extremely yummy.

Thanks, all, for your input. How is the Golden Lion Pub for lunch? I understand that it gets very crowded?

We sail on May 10th. I have 9-/2 weeks to lose 10 pounds. From all the info that we have received about the restaurants, I had better get busy or I will be wearing a sheet as we disembark.

Personally if I am in the Grills I do not go elsewhere for any of my meals except maybe for the free lunch in Todd English. It is just so convenient to go to your own table, meet with your table mates (if that is your choice of table) and have really nice and well presented food - off menu is really fun choosing a personal dinner and something different.

Certainly if it is your first time then lunch in Britannia is worth a try. Try the afternoon tea in the Grills Lounge as well as the Queens room & Enjoy the trip.

Thanks, all, for your input. How is the Golden Lion Pub for lunch? I understand that it gets very crowded?

We sail on May 10th. I have 9-/2 weeks to lose 10 pounds. From all the info that we have received about the restaurants, I had better get busy or I will be wearing a sheet as we disembark.

The Pub does get very crowded but unless you are unlucky you should find a seat. We've shared on occasion and the fish and chips are lovely.

Don't forget afternoon tea! 3 or 4 times round the deck is the equivalent of a mile so 'promise' yourself you will do that every day and hopefully you won't feel too guilty as you tuck into the food :D

I've never travelled Grills, but I'm of the same opinion regarding the Britannia Restaurant. I'm very pleased with the quality of food served to me there and have never seen the need to eat elsewhere, and for me that applies to every meal - I have an issue with portion control, so if I eat in the Kings Court, I always over-eat, so I would rather eat in the MDR and eat sensibly and be able to wear the same trousers off the ship as on it :)

Jim

We will be taking our first cruise on the QM2 in May. We would appreciate any recommedations as to the alternative restaurants available, please. Thanks.

Forgot to mention The Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room, that is a must for your first experience.

The Golden Lion pub is good also for lunch, If you enjoy pub lunches.

Curry, Steak Pie , Fish and Chips or Ploughmans with a dessert of the day.

Also forgot about the Chefs Galley area up on Deck 7 Mid ships of Kings Court,

In the Mornings you can get different Fruit juices and Healthy options.

During Lunch you can get Burgers and Pizza

This area however may change after the refit.