Formal Night

In all fairness we did see one couple in formal wear. Couple was celebrating their 50th anniversary and he had a tux and she had a long dress.

I would tell you to bring what you want to wear. there are definitely suits and ties. You won't look like fools. You'll look like what I think (in my opinion) the definition of Carnivals elegant night should be. People can call it what they want but jeans and tank tops are not elegant in anybody's book. Neither are khakis and Tommy Bahama shirts. Does it ruin my dinner, or cruise for that matter? NO. I am just disappointed that Carnival won't enforce their own rules. or at least come close to it.

So bring that suit or tux and bowties and your pictures will be memorable.

Got my memorable family photo (it is here on my work desk) in my tommy bahama button down and khakis. love it. that's vacation mode to me. It may not be dressed to the nines but it was solidly mid-pack on cruise elegant night. :cool:

It does happen' date=' but the majority of the time the MD will not say a word.

I do not understand why seeing someone not dressed up on elegant night will spoil anything for anyone.

For better or worse we live in a dress down world these days[/quote']

Usually it involves the issue of rules not being followed or enforced and in that I kind of agree- if you are going to have a rule it should be followed and if it is not it should be consistently enforced. If not, abolish the rule.

Besides, (and to upgrade my memory.... Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown)

And here is what the Funtimes from my Dec 2015 cruise. Sorry it is a little difficult to read, but you can see the website and the printed material onboard don't match.

Carnival-Victory-Funtimes-11.jpg

And here is what the Funtimes from my Dec 2015 cruise. Sorry it is a little difficult to read, but you can see the website and the printed material onboard don't match.

Carnival-Victory-Funtimes-11.jpg

They aren't contradictory though- one suggests what to wear, the other says what is not allowed.

Why should we have to "buy" clothes we will never ever wear again to make someone else happy while on a cruise? The more casual a cruise line gets the happier I am.

QUOTE]

Please don't include everyone by using "we" when you are stating your opinion. You are just one person and should state 'why should I have to "buy" clothes...'

Politicians use this technique all the time and I'm getting tired of it.

I feel your pain! My pet peeve is "they" My whole life, and it has been a long one, I have been told "they" wear this, or "they" no longer wear that, or "they" go here, or "they" no longer go here. .....It used to make my mom crazy as I always said, "who are "THEY" Still bugs me.:)

They aren't contradictory though- one suggests what to wear, the other says what is not allowed.

I may have quoted the wrong post. The verbiage on the Carnival site saying what is NOT allowed differs from on the ship what it says is NOT allowed.

"Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted for both men and women: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, t-shirts, sportswear, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire"

Emphasis is mine. There is a difference between "jeans" and "cutoff jeans"

Why should we have to "buy" clothes we will never ever wear again to make someone else happy while on a cruise? The more casual a cruise line gets the happier I am.

QUOTE]

Please don't include everyone by using "we" when you are stating your opinion. You are just one person and should state 'why should I have to "buy" clothes...'

Politicians use this technique all the time and I'm getting tired of it.

I do travel with other people, hence the we. If you don't agree with me you have every right to say that your group or you alone don't mind spending money....if you wear the clothes post cruise, great for you...or even if money isn't an issue...great for you. We are a bit more conservative with ours.

I do travel with other people, hence the we. If you don't agree with me you have every right to say that your group or you alone don't mind spending money....if you wear the clothes post cruise, great for you...or even if money isn't an issue...great for you. We are a bit more conservative with ours.

Thanks for clarifying your reason for using "we". I didn't know you cruised in a group since it wasn't made apparent in your post.

My point wasn't about you having a different opinion and expressing it, simply that I thought the use of "we" was all-inclusive of cruisers.

Edited by momonthego17

Last year, we took formal wear because we knew we wanted to take some nice pics. Hubby wore his tux & I wore a floor length gown. We did not feel out of place. We felt very elegant. We got some great pics & enjoyed the evening. I could not tell you how many others were dressed in true formal wear, but we weren't the only ones. Other times, we have worn slacks with nice shirt/top. This next cruise we probably won't go ultra formal, either. Just don't want to pack it all.

I feel your pain! My pet peeve is "they" My whole life, and it has been a long one, I have been told "they" wear this, or "they" no longer wear that, or "they" go here, or "they" no longer go here. .....It used to make my mom crazy as I always said, "who are "THEY" Still bugs me.:)

My mom was the same with the "they" business.:)

Still trying to figure out they are.

This post was by cruiselover55, who made a very good point....who are the "THEY" that have opinions that are considered based in fact? It's a mystery:eek:

That's an interesting article and I appreciate you sharing the link. I think the difference is the article's use of the term "formal" as opposed to "serious". Like you said, tux events are usually for "happy & fun occasions" but I think of business meetings and funerals as somber, serious events and the term formal I equate with "elegance".

Tomato, to-mato, as they say. I love a man in a sharp looking suit as well.

[emoji6]

The primary physical difference between a tuxedo and a suit is the presence of satin. Traditionally tuxedos have satin facing on the lapels, buttons, pocket trim, and a satin side stripe down the leg of the trousers. There are, of course, exceptions, such as the White Dinner Jack meant for Summer and Tropical wear.

It’s important to note that, more than just the apparent physical differences, a tuxedo sends a different message than a suit does. A lot of people wear suits every day. Regardless of whether you do or not, it’s a societal norm. You can go to the grocery store wearing a suit and nobody will think it’s at all strange. The point of a tuxedo isn’t just to dress up and look nice. That’s part of it, but only a part. The point is to commemorate a special occasion by wearing something special that you wouldn’t wear anywhere else. Your tuxedo says, “This moment is special to me. This is where I want to be. I would look out of place anywhere but here.”

The primary physical difference between a tuxedo and a suit is the presence of satin. Traditionally tuxedos have satin facing on the lapels, buttons, pocket trim, and a satin side stripe down the leg of the trousers. There are, of course, exceptions, such as the White Dinner Jack meant for Summer and Tropical wear.

It’s important to note that, more than just the apparent physical differences, a tuxedo sends a different message than a suit does. A lot of people wear suits every day. Regardless of whether you do or not, it’s a societal norm. You can go to the grocery store wearing a suit and nobody will think it’s at all strange. The point of a tuxedo isn’t just to dress up and look nice. That’s part of it, but only a part. The point is to commemorate a special occasion by wearing something special that you wouldn’t wear anywhere else. Your tuxedo says, “This moment is special to me. This is where I want to be. I would look out of place anywhere but here.”

Works for me, Thanks for the info!

I like the kilts or military uniforms.

Woohoo!!!! I'll be representing this coming Tuesday for elegant night. Blazer, khakis, and tie the other nights.

Playing dress up is part of cruising for my family.

(I stole this pic from somewhere on this forum - it's my desktop pic now)

<a href=12844116484_0a5c52677f_b_zpsnq5j5meo.jpg

There is a steakhouse here in Galveston that some consider "fine dining". (you know "they" or "them":D) I, myself, find it strange that even the busboys wear tux's. Most all of the 'front of the house' staff. The message that sends to me=Would hate to pay their dry cleaning bill!!:)

Really, really well put!

You have convinced me that dressing up is in appreciation of the company you are with. I really don't care what "they" are wearing. I am dressing up on my first cruise!:)

This is really so disappointing! My oldest wanted an excuse to break out his tux and my dh was planning on packing a suit and tie, while my youngest is a bow-tie fan. We are all going to look like a bunch of out-of-place fools on formal night...maybe we need to rethink our formal night wardrobe. What a letdown!

I also encourage you to dress up on elegant nights if you'd like! And don't worry, there will be lots of people dressed up. My Hubby wears nice slacks and nice shirt/tie, sometimes a jacket on elegant night. I usually wear cocktail dresses/gowns (long gowns and short) with a little sparkle on the elegant nights. I've never felt out of place at all. And Yes, there will be a few men in tuxs looking fantastic! Great opportunity to get nice portraits done too!

Of course, there will be others that don't do elegant, and to each their own. I don't have a chance to dress up in elegant wear very often, so for me it's fun and I look forward to it! :)

On Non-elegant nights the hubby wears slacks and tommy bahama type shirts and I wear sun dresses or white pants and dressy top, etc. (cruise casual) to dinner.

You will NOT look like fools! Wear what you want. The last time I really dressed formal, I felt like a million bucks! And received many compliments. Believe me, I would still do it, but, my vanity can't get over, that I am now a skinny, wrinkled up, old bag, and don't want a picture to remind myself of that fact!:eek:

My experiences of " Elegant night" seem to differ from most people here. The tux are a rarity, but I see a lot of men in suits with ties, and lots of women in cocktail dresses, particularly for the first Elegant night". I myself have worn suit and tie for all of the past seventeen CCL cruises and have never felt out of place.Go ahead and get dressed up, I don't think you will be in the minority nor look ,nor feel out of place.

I also encourage you to dress up on elegant nights if you'd like! And don't worry, there will be lots of people dressed up. My Hubby wears nice slacks and nice shirt/tie, sometimes a jacket on elegant night. I usually wear cocktail dresses/gowns (long gowns and short) with a little sparkle on the elegant nights. I've never felt out of place at all. And Yes, there will be a few men in tuxs looking fantastic! Great opportunity to get nice portraits done too!

Of course, there will be others that don't do elegant, and to each their own. I don't have a chance to dress up in elegant wear very often, so for me it's fun and I look forward to it! :)

On Non-elegant nights the hubby wears slacks and tommy bahama type shirts and I wear sun dresses or white pants and dressy top, etc. (cruise casual) to dinner.

Exactly my sentiments...

I bet you will not see a single tank top or shorts on elegant night.

I never have despite going looking for them.

I looked every body in that room over and I have never seen it.

Here is what I saw a couple of months ago.

One tux.

A handful of suits, some men with dress shirts, some with ties, some without.

Every body was dressed at least ok. Some pretty darn fancy, but that was mostly women.

And not one single ball cap.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

IMHO great to hear.

OP, there are families here who love the black suit or tux thing and are all boys with a beautiful mom. Yes it is more casual but it`is never out of style to do what you want as far as how dressy.

One thing my bro-in-law noticed at Oscars...no cumber buns. Those long ties and more fitted suits and the white shirt glaring out does sometimes look funny to me with the tux. The modern or maybe older now but same color look I liked.

My nephew got married in tux top, gorgeous silk shirts, no ties, new jeans and black boots...western. I would have preferred black slacks but their mom had new jeans, bolo ties and black vests..the ladies still wore wedding gowns...it is quite a thing now with just less formal world everywhere.

None of the grandpas did that on their "Western" weddings.

Edited by sjn911