Jade Mini suite vs Balcony

bluehawks47

Right now, my husband and I are in a family balcony (10632) on the Jade for mid march sailing. The prices have come down so much that the mini suites (mid ship) are cheaper than what we paid for our balcony.

The mid ship mini suites that are available are on deck 11. I noticed that deck 12 has a lot of activity on it...kid's club, fitness center, garden café, pool, etc. I kind of like that our current stateroom has rooms above and below it. If we are on deck 11, will there be much noise from above?

I am wondering if the mini suite will be worth the move. It should cost nothing more. I have read that the size of the room and balcony aren't that much different, but is there something different with the bathroom??

Change to the mini...Should I or shouldn't I?

Would you??

Thanks,

Kathleen

The comments about the room being very similar and the difference being the bathrooms refer to the newer ships (Epic and newer). On the Jade there is a difference in the actual room.

However, you are correct about being under potentially noisy things. You have to be very careful what you are under if you are in a mini suite.

If the cost is the same then I would move, but only if I could be sure exactly which mini suite I would be in, and what it is under.

If there is any doubt about that then I'd stay in the balcony.

I had the exact same situation on the Jade. I decided just to stay put in our balcony room on deci 10. I am a light sleeper and if I ended up under something that was either noisy late at night or early in the morning, I would be miserable. It was a hard decision but that's what I finally decided.

Thank you very much for both of your replies. I need to check out the deck plans and see which rooms are available.

At this point, I assume the quiet rooms would be the spa, hair salon, library, and card room.

What are your thoughts about being below the pool, garden café, or great outdoors? The only issue I can imagine is dragging chairs along the floor late at night or really early in the morning? We will most likely be in bed by 11:00 and up by 6:30 or 7:00.

Any other possible noise issues I am not thinking about?

Thank you

Yes, the places you said would be best.

I've never stayed under the pool, but I've read comments about noises from deck chairs being dragged around.

Garden cafe should be ok on the starboard side, under the seating area or port side towards the aft (under La Cuciina). Avoid being under the galley though.

I've stayed in an aft mini suite under the Great Outdoors and had no trouble with noise from there, so I wouldn't be worried about that.

Edited by KeithJenner

Yes, the places you said would be best.

I've never stayed under the pool, but I've read comments about noises from deck chairs being dragged around.

Garden cafe should be ok on the starboard side, under the seating area or port side towards the aft (under La Cuciina). Avoid being under the galley though.

I've stayed in an aft mini suite under the Great Outdoors and had no trouble with noise from there, so I wouldn't be worried about that.

Perfect!!! Thank you so much.

I personally would not pick a cabin under the pool, the buffet, the fitness center, or any other public space where there may well be noise from above. (Actually, my personal preference is for cabins above and below, which is why I like Deck 10 on the Jewel class ships, of which the Jade is one.)

Also, the OP asked about the bathrooms in the mini-suites on the Jade. I believe -- and the video below of a Jade mini-suite shows this-- that they have a tub/shower combination. For some folks, that's a pretty high step to get over to get in and out of the shower (especially on a moving ship). We were recently in an SF penthouse on the Gem, which had the same tub/shower combo. I much prefer a stall shower.

OP: enjoy whatever you decide!

I personally would not pick a cabin under the pool, the buffet, the fitness center, or any other public space where there may well be noise from above.

Me neither, no midship mini-suite on Dawn class or Jewel class ships for me. BUT selected category MB minis closer to aft I would recommend wholeheartedly. My post from last year:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48142145&postcount=10

We prefer the MB minus forward that are under the Spa. We have been in that location on the Jade, Pearl and Star and have not had any noise issues from the floor above. Another plus is that the non connecting MB's next to the 2 bedroom suites mean only one real balcony neighbor. I prefer starboard on the jewel class ships as it is opposite the traffic the bridge viewing room attracts.

We prefer the MB minus forward that are under the Spa. We have been in that location on the Jade, Pearl and Star and have not had any noise issues from the floor above. Another plus is that the non connecting MB's next to the 2 bedroom suites mean only one real balcony neighbor. I prefer starboard on the jewel class ships as it is opposite the traffic the bridge viewing room attracts.

That's a very good tip for those considering mini-suites on those ships. (So many people don't even know about the bridge viewing room.)

We have been on 15 NCL cruises and have come to prefer large showers on most ships to the small ones (balcony cabins on the SUN) and high-edged bath tubs (combo shower/bath) on Epic MA (and MC) and Jewel class mini-suites.

This said, we will not book mini-suites on the Jewel Class ships (Jewel, Jade, Pearl or Gem), preferring to book a regular balcony or OV cabin - their showers are large enough and perfect for us.

We're in a BA on the Jade in Oct, and if they offer us an upgrade to mini-suite we'd refuse it. We'd accept an upgrade to an S or H cabins though, ha ha.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but am curious how you will be able to change categories at no cost this close to sailing. We're on the Jade last week of March and I asked my TA about an upgrade or a cheap upsale given that prices had dropped. NCL advised that the only way for us to upgrade at the new prices was to cancel (with resultant penalties) and rebook. Just curious if you have confirmed you will be able to make the switch.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but am curious how you will be able to change categories at no cost this close to sailing. We're on the Jade last week of March and I asked my TA about an upgrade or a cheap upsale given that prices had dropped. NCL advised that the only way for us to upgrade at the new prices was to cancel (with resultant penalties) and rebook. Just curious if you have confirmed you will be able to make the switch.

You are correct, I won't be able to change without penalties. I just called and they said within 30 days the "Choose 2 at sea" promo does not apply.

I should be happy with what I have and quit looking for more!! I was being greedy!!

I will be in a beautiful balcony stateroom on a wonderful cruise. Life is good :)