London Heathrow question

forgap

I also use a minicab service to get from Heathrow to central london for about 30GBP each way

Very efficient they pick you up inside the terminal and off you go

Tall ship, do you have a link for the minicab service?

Thanks, Jennifer

Not sure if OK to post but I use Swift Cars

you can book online

Out of the 20 or so times I have used them I only had an issue once where someone with the same first name as mine took my ride

They sent the driver back for me within 15 minutes

Jennifer:

What did you decide to do with your hand luggage during the long Heathrow layover? We will probably get your same routing if you are headed for Dubai for the May 2nd Voyager sailing.

Best Regards,

Mary and Max

Hi - if you decide to go into central London I honestly wouldn't take a cab - the traffic in the city is always horrendous and you could possibly end up getting stuck - Heathrow express and then the underground is definitely the quickest way to get around. I work in London so if you need any advice on "must sees" while you are there, please let me know - happy to help.

Edited by englandsrose

As already posted, your adventure is dictated by your level of jet lag. In my case, I usually arrive full of adrenaline and pump up The Boss with false promises of shopping to get her going. It seems that London is definitely doable with a little advance planning given your parameters. Something to consider: we recently were in your situation and we researched tour companies that cater to folks with a few hours' layover. We ended up hiring a driver for half a day and rode the through various villages and the beautiful English countryside while the excellent driver filled us with great info and stories. We ended up at a pub across from Windsor Castle called the Horse and Groom and had a wonderful lunch and a couple of pints before heading back to the airport for our flight. Good luck and let us know how it went.

Z and TB

Jennifer:

What did you decide to do with your hand luggage during the long Heathrow layover? We will probably get your same routing if you are headed for Dubai for the May 2nd Voyager sailing.

Best Regards,

Mary and Max

Travel cat gave me a link earlier in the thread: http://www.airwise.com/airports/uk/heathrow/luggage.html

Also, check out the roll call for the cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49268646#post49268646

See you soon!

Edited by forgap

Hi - if you decide to go into central London I honestly wouldn't take a cab - the traffic in the city is always horrendous and you could possibly end up getting stuck - Heathrow express and then the underground is definitely the quickest way to get around. I work in London so if you need any advice on "must sees" while you are there, please let me know - happy to help.

Thank you, Englandrose. We most likely will take the Heathrow Express. We have been to London on several occasions so we don't need to see the main tourist sites. We are interested in things that are walkable around Paddington Station. Do you have suggestions? We will be there on a Saturday. We are not mega shoppers (unless it's jewelry, arty, or incredibly cheap:)). We like food markets, flea markets, flower markets, nature, off the beaten path kind of things.

I remember one trip, it seemed like we walked 100 miles to find a medieval herb garden that catalogued all the medicinal herbs and their uses for various ailments. We got there only to discover it was open to visitors only one day a week! Of course, not the day we were there! We were younger then and there was no internet to fact check!

There really isn't much that's easily "walkable" from Paddington. As several others have said, use the Tube to get around or even a black cab for shorter distances but remember that London traffic can be horrendous, even if your cabbie knows all the back routes and short cuts. There is a Tube service direct from all 5 Heathrow terminals to central London so you don't even have to go to Paddington. As you know, you can't possibly "do" London in a day and if you've already covered the usual "must sees" then be selective about one or two places and stick to those. The time will fly and while 8 hours seems a long time you have to factor in journey time, checkin (2 hours min before departure) so be realistic about what you will be able to do.

We had a "whirlwind" 8 hours in London a couple of years ago: took a cab from Paddington to the Churchill Museum and War Rooms (2 Hours) then a trip on the London Eye (1 and 1/2 hours, including waiting time). Stopped for lunch at the first pub that looked interesting. Cab back to Paddington and a quick trip to Terminal 5. Business Class does not require a long check-in.

We live about 40 miles from Heathrow Airport and there is no way we would get a cab from Heathrow into London if you only have a short time available. The M25 Motorway is notorious for accidents and whenever we fly from Heathrow, we always stay in a hotel there overnight because of the panic which would ensue wondering whether there would be a hold up. As previous posters have advised, your best bet if you don't suffer too much from jet lag is to get the tube into town. You can then decide what you want to do. Look forward to meeting you on board.

Maureen

I would definitely choose Heathrow Express to Paddington (15 mins) and then use London Underground, Buses, Black Cabs to get where you want in central London

Do not use London Underground (Piccadilly Line) all the way from Heathrow to central London - it will take you at least 45 mins

As you are there on a Saturday, traffic to/from central London should not be as bad as a weekday if you choose to book a car

Hope you have a great day, whatever you choose to do

As I live near Heathrow and was cabin crew for BA for 39 years, may I make a suggestion. You could go and have a nice shower n the Ba lounge and then go to Windsor which is only about 20 mins from the airport. Visit Windsor Castle and then maybe have a nice traditional English pub lunch. Always a nice day without the stress of going in to London.

Windsor is nice, easier and closer option. The castle is impressive. Her Majesty may even be in residence that day. I hope you get to see a bit more than just T5.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that you could leave your carry on luggage in the business lounge. We did this in Hong Kong Once when we had a long layover. (At your own risk of course.) there is also a left luggage outside immigration.

While the tube is 45 minutes I vote for that as it will take you to the main areas of London with out a transfer. You can go to the Victoria and Albert Museum, Harrods, Green park (and the HOHO bus,) and Picadilly circus. And easy transfers at Green Park.

Enjoy!

By the way.. if its cold... just layer up.. no need for heavy clothes. Just pack a turtleneck, cover with a long sleeved t shirt, shirt and light jacket. Add some sort of scarf and you'll be warm enough for London.

Thank you, everyone, for the advice. I just realized that we will be in London on a Sunday. I'm not sure if that changes anything. We will most likely take the Heathrow Express to London and then just walk around. I'll also check to see if there are any art exhibitions I want to see at the museums. There are some interesting farmers markets and festivals on May 1st but most seem to wrap up by 2 pm so our timing isn't great. Actually, a quiet lunch and a beer sounds about right!