Grand Cayman question

lovestogarden

Need a little help on visiting beach in Grand Cayman, please. My daughter is graduating as a nurse practitioner in May. For her graduation, she wanted her two children and husband, mother (me) and dad, 2 grandmothers, and aunt to go on a cruise. We will be sailing on Liberty of the Seas. In Grand Cayman we want to go to 7 mile beach and just let the children play and look at the beautiful ocean. One grandmother has had a hip replacement and doesn't walk quickly. Should be just take a cab to the beach? Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Ask the price before you get in.

Something you might find interesting. Guy Harvey the painter whose fish paintings you often see on t-shirts has a store and studio on the main drag in the port. He is usually there in the afternoons and will personally autograph your shirt. Also, there are other great art works of Guy's on display and for sale. The actual boat he used as a model for his famous "Old Man in the Sea" series is also there. Guy Harvey fans should not miss it. For a fine painter you will be shocked at how tall he is and the size of his hands.

Edited by rjg41

Reserve a cabana at Royal Palms. We did it last year and loved it:)

We did that last year as well. It was good but it was rather expensive in comparison to other options we have experienced. In all fairness though, the bar bill was most of that. We've never done a ship sponsored CI excursion. We usually rent a Jeep and strike off for somewhere new on the island and even that is less expensive than Royal Palms. :eek:

For the OP: Grab a taxi at the port. They'll generally load up a bus-load and then drop people off, in order, at their various destinations along 7 mile beach.

We did that last year as well. It was good but it was rather expensive in comparison to other options we have experienced. In all fairness though, the bar bill was most of that. We've never done a ship sponsored CI excursion. We usually rent a Jeep and strike off for somewhere new on the island and even that is less expensive than Royal Palms. :eek:

For the OP: Grab a taxi at the port. They'll generally load up a bus-load and then drop people off, in order, at their various destinations along 7 mile beach.

OP mentioned 9 people and just wanting a beach to hang out at. One with mobility problems. What does "renting a jeep and striking out...." have to do with them....?

OP mentioned 9 people and just wanting a beach to hang out at. One with mobility problems. What does "renting a jeep and striking out...." have to do with them....?

Not a thing. Color commentary. Thanks for policing my posts. Are you going to issue me a cruise critic citation? Or can I get off this time with a warning?

There's nothing wrong with the bus....they are small urban buses....easy on and off...and $2.50 pp. If you go to Seagrape beach, the actual beach is very close to the road, so no long walk needed. Restrooms, food/drink, lounger/umbrella rentals and watersport rentals are all right there.

Ok, now that I am on the right board regarding Grand Cayman, I could use a little more help. I've already explained that I have my mother with the other 8 of us who has mobility issues. She can walk, just not quickly. We would like to spend the morning on 7 mile beach. My husband and I have actually spent a short vacation on Grand Cayman and it is truly beautiful. I would like my two small grandsons to play on beach. All we need are chairs, maybe some cover for the two great grandmothers. Bathrooms will be needed. Don't need a bar, or ride on water toys. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions from all of you nice people.

Personally, I'm torn as to a recommendation.

Royal Palms has very easy access for someone with mobility issues since it has paved paths from the parking lot, and the paved seating area by the bar overlooks the beach, has umbrellas and would be perfect for the grandmothers to nurse a soda or other beverage while watching the action. Or, there's rental chairs/umbrellas on the beach if they can walk a short distance on soft sand. However, the pool is adults-only and there aren't a lot of things for small kids besides the beach.

Public Beach/Calico Jacks has a playground in addition to the beach activities, so it's perfect for families, but it seems like it might not be very accessible for the mobility-challenged. It's always seemed like a long walk from the parking lot to the rentals area.

Both are good beaches, with rentals, restrooms, etc.

Edited by bookbabe

Bookbabe, thank you for your help. May I ask you how crowded either of these places on the beach is. Both my mother and mother-in-law can walk on the sandy beach. But I don't want to go somewhere where there are lots of people. Thanks!

How crowded depends on a number of factors - number of cruise ships in port, weather, day of week, etc.

Anywhere with facilities is going to have at least moderate crowds unless yours is the only ship in port, off-season, on a weekday. :-)

One option for you might be a cabana at Royal Palms - they can be reserved in advance via their website, and would give your group a space to call your own.