Tube stations with luggage?

Hi - we will be spending a few days in London before our cruise. We are considering taking the train to Southampton from Waterloo station. Our hotel is at Charing Cross.

We are wondering if we should take a taxi from our hotel to Waterloo station, or simply hop on the tube (the hotel is right at the Charing Cross tube station). We will have luggage - does anyone know if Charing Cross and Waterloo tube stations have elevators (or at least escalators/moving staircases)? Trying to avoid hauling suitcases up and down the stairs... thanks!

Check out this website: https://www.directenquiries.com/, which will give you a detailed step-by-step description of the walking path you need to take in each underground station from platform to street (it covers more than that, but this is what I have used it for mainly).

Waterloo is supposed to have an elevator - we managed to miss it, but going down on the escalator wasn't too bad. It does indicate however that you will need to climb some stairs at Charing Cross. I would probably do it, MamaTwick would probably want to just hop into a taxi. I think you should probably research both options and make the call on the day.

The key, of course, it to make sure you can easily handle your luggage. Last time we travelled to London (indeed, the same way you will - TA to Southampton, then train to London and underground to our hotel), MamaTwick had a medium-sized rolling bag and I had a small rolling bag and a small carry-on - doable, but a bit awkward, especially getting onto escalators. For our next trip this summer, we are reverting back to our medium-sized backpacks, which are really ideal for using the underground and train. Whatever you bring, just make sure you can easily handle it - or practice your helpless look, so that nice young men will help you with your bags;) (MamaTwick had at least 4 help her along our journey! :D)

Edited by Twickenham

We are wondering if we should take a taxi from our hotel to Waterloo station, or simply hop on the tube (the hotel is right at the Charing Cross tube station).
The short answer: Charing Cross Tube is not suitcase-friendly, so I would take a taxi.

Hi - we will be spending a few days in London before our cruise. We are considering taking the train to Southampton from Waterloo station. Our hotel is at Charing Cross.

We are wondering if we should take a taxi from our hotel to Waterloo station, or simply hop on the tube (the hotel is right at the Charing Cross tube station). We will have luggage - does anyone know if Charing Cross and Waterloo tube stations have elevators (or at least escalators/moving staircases)? Trying to avoid hauling suitcases up and down the stairs... thanks!

You will definitely be fine on the boat train from London-Waterloo to Southampton but I think you're better off in a taxi to/from Waterloo to Charing Cross & your hotel. Less bumps & bruises, hassles by doing so even if it costs a few extra Pound Sterling...worth it. London taxi drivers do NOT take passengers for a ride, they go directly where they must go and know every street in London (after long study) so you get there relaxed and without herculean physical activities.

The train stations that do have elevators can be helpful but the Tube carriages themselves are NOT very roomy and so while I've seen plenty of people on there with luggage - it tended to be very in the way and difficult for them. A large rucksack is maybe ok as one can set it at their feet at keep it close but even that takes up space that a person could stand in. There's no rack space for luggage on the tube. There's much more room on the train to Southampton - you'll be fine.

I was tempted to bring my luggage on the Tube but never have...combo of the escalators, no place to put it on carriages, just way too inconvenient for long trip packing. The taxi splurge was worth it. :)