??s About Island Princess

alwalaska

This will be our first Princess cruise since 2006, so I have lots of questions. Since so many things vary from ship to ship, I thought it would be helpful to make my title ship specific, but I would love any and all information you have.

Questions:

1) Since the IP doesn't have an International Cafe, does she still have free cookies in the afternoon somewhere? Everyone is raving about these on other threads.

2) Are the only casual dining locations the buffet and around the pool?

3) Does the Wheelhouse bar have food? If so, is it extra or included?

4) Does anyone have recent Patters they can share? Or a link if they are somewhere I haven't been able to find on my own.

5) Does anyone have main dining room menus that they can share?

6) On a 15 night cruise, do they repeat menus and entertainment? (It is not a back to back - I'm doing the Panama Canal - Full Transit)

7) For old timers, is the pizza even half as good as it was in 2006? I remember it being pretty amazing.

8) On embarkation day, are there alternatives to the buffet for lunch? I know on most ships it is super crowded that day especially.

I'm sure I will think of many more questions, but thanks for help now with these.

This will be our first Princess cruise since 2006, so I have lots of questions. Since so many things vary from ship to ship, I thought it would be helpful to make my title ship specific, but I would love any and all information you have.

Questions:

1) Since the IP doesn't have an International Cafe, does she still have free cookies in the afternoon somewhere? Everyone is raving about these on other threads. No IC . Cookies sometimes

2) Are the only casual dining locations the buffet and around the pool? Yes

3) Does the Wheelhouse bar have food? If so, is it extra or included? NO it doesn't . Unless they are having a pub lunch or gastro Burgers

4) Does anyone have recent Patters they can share? Or a link if they are somewhere I haven't been able to find on my own.

5) Does anyone have main dining room menus that they can share?

6) On a 15 night cruise, do they repeat menus and entertainment? (It is not a back to back - I'm doing the Panama Canal - Full Transit) some items will repeated during the cruise . There are items that are aviable at every supper in MDR.

7) For old timers, is the pizza even half as good as it was in 2006? I remember it being pretty amazing. yes , very good.

8) On embarkation day, are there alternatives to the buffet for lunch? I know on most ships it is super crowded that day especially. MDR are your onboard early enough.

I'm sure I will think of many more questions, but thanks for help now with these.

Some answers for you.

Hi Ann

I'm just off a Panama Canal full transit on the Island and we had a great time. I'll do my best with your questions.

1) The only place we found cookies in the afternoon was in the Horizon Court buffet. I was really disappointed in La Patisserie - they didn't seem to have anything to eat other than a few sandwiches at lunchtime. Sometimes I got a cookie delivered in the afternoon with a pot of tea from room service. And one day someone brought a trolley with cookies around the Lotus pool. We loved the Island Princess but, after having previously been on the Crown, we did miss the IC.

2)Yes, I think the only casual dining was the buffet or around the pool. Sabatini's was used for Alfredo's Pizza on sea days but that isn't really informal.

3)I don't think the Wheelhouse Bar served any food. The British style pub lunch served on sea days was, I think, in the Bayou Cafe (we never went). The ballroom dance classes were held at lunchtime in the Wheelhouse Bar.

4)I do have the Patters and will investigate how to post them.

5)I don't have dining room menus.

6) Some breakfast special items were repeated but I don't think dinner menus were (and we ate in the dining room every night). The entertainment wasn't repeated except that the ventriloquist and a female singer who had each been the solo act on two previous evenings, performed half the show each on the last evening but they did new material.

7)As this was only our second ever cruise (previous was Alaska on the Crown) I can't say but we were very happy with the pizza.

8)We went to the dining room and had a lovely relaxing lunch on embarkation day. But I think the dining room hours are just until 1.30pm.

I hope these help. Hopefully someone with more experience will fill in the gaps (or correct any errors).

Beth

Thank you both very much.

Beth, could you wear nice shorts to Sabatini's on sea days when it was acting as Alfredo's?

My email is annjunk at sbcglobal dot net if it is easier to email the Patters rather than uploading them.

Kamloops - I love your screen name. A year ago I wouldn't have a clue what it meant, but we had a short, but very nice stay in Kamloops this past August. Thanks again for your help.

Hi Ann

Sorry I should have been clearer, Sabatini's only operates as Alfredo's at lunchtime and then the dress code is as elsewhere around the dining venues for lunch so any shorts were fine. By formal I meant that it was a sit down meal with waiter service for a full pizza, though they don't serve any starters, salads or deserts.

I'll need to scan the Patters in first but I'll be in touch.

Beth

Lunch at the Horizon Court on embarkation day is far too crowded for my liking. If I get on in time I go to the MDR. If not, I head to the pizza and grill stations near the pool. I can be happy with a grilled chicken sandwich and french fries. I also will usually get a bucket of beer (one beer is free), drink one, give one to my DH, and put these rest in my room fridge.

Lunch at the Horizon Court on embarkation day is far too crowded for my liking. If I get on in time I go to the MDR. If not, I head to the pizza and grill stations near the pool. I can be happy with a grilled chicken sandwich and french fries. I also will usually get a bucket of beer (one beer is free), drink one, give one to my DH, and put these rest in my room fridge.

Thanks. We will plan on the dining room and use pizza and the grill as a fall back.

Hi Ann

I'm just off a Panama Canal full transit on the Island and we had a great time. I'll do my best with your questions.

1) The only place we found cookies in the afternoon was in the Horizon Court buffet. I was really disappointed in La Patisserie - they didn't seem to have anything to eat other than a few sandwiches at lunchtime. Sometimes I got a cookie delivered in the afternoon with a pot of tea from room service. And one day someone brought a trolley with cookies around the Lotus pool. We loved the Island Princess but, after having previously been on the Crown, we did miss the IC.

2)Yes, I think the only casual dining was the buffet or around the pool. Sabatini's was used for Alfredo's Pizza on sea days but that isn't really informal.

3)I don't think the Wheelhouse Bar served any food. The British style pub lunch served on sea days was, I think, in the Bayou Cafe (we never went). The ballroom dance classes were held at lunchtime in the Wheelhouse Bar.

4)I do have the Patters and will investigate how to post them.

5)I don't have dining room menus.

6) Some breakfast special items were repeated but I don't think dinner menus were (and we ate in the dining room every night). The entertainment wasn't repeated except that the ventriloquist and a female singer who had each been the solo act on two previous evenings, performed half the show each on the last evening but they did new material.

7)As this was only our second ever cruise (previous was Alaska on the Crown) I can't say but we were very happy with the pizza.

8)We went to the dining room and had a lovely relaxing lunch on embarkation day. But I think the dining room hours are just until 1.30pm.

I hope these help. Hopefully someone with more experience will fill in the gaps (or correct any errors).

Beth

Thanks for review as we are on Island P in Nov/Dec. Did you feel the ship was overcrowded, i.e. in public areas and deck space due to Princess being greedy and adding a 100 or so cabins on aft decks inc Promenade deck and taking out the Universal Lounge?

I have read some recent reviews on CC re impact of additional cabins.

Hey Les,

Ship did not feel crowded when we were on her over Christmas and New Years. Minor annoyance that Promenade Deck was not fully walkable outside but folks just propped open the doors walked thru from one side to the other leading to another annoyance of that interior area being VERY warm and humid.

Just sent you and M. a e-mail with more details.

Happy cruising,

Anne

Hey Les,

Ship did not feel crowded when we were on her over Christmas and New Years. Minor annoyance that Promenade Deck was not fully walkable outside but folks just propped open the doors walked thru from one side to the other leading to another annoyance of that interior area being VERY warm and humid.

Happy cruising,

Anne

I would love any details that you have as well. If you are not comfortable posting here, my email is annjunk at sbcglobal dot net.

I'm especially curious about there only being 1 stage now that the Universal Lounge is gone. When we were on the Sapphire many years ago, when we couldn't get into the main theater, there was usually a comedian or magician or something in the smaller theater that we could get in to. I'm sure that when they have 3 seatings that helps, but that only seems to be on a few of the nights from the Patters I saw.

Also, if you have any pictures of the new "Back end" of the ship, I would love to see those too.

Thanks for all the info.

I finally found a post refurb picture (although it is a pretty low resolution) picture of the back of the ship. I am having a hard time figuring out how the deckplans match up to the picture.

My exploration also brought up a question. Is the small deck in the middle of the Emerald deck the only public area in the aft of the ship? I don't consider the pay to enter Sanctuary a "public" area.

Thanks.

I found some photos of the interior of the Island Princess, but they aren't labeled. I'm hoping that this is an OK link to post, but can anyone name the different interior areas for me please? The atrium and buffet are pretty obvious, but other than that, I'm lost. ;)

http://www.shipparade.com/az/Island_Princess/Island_Princess.htm#Interior_Photos

Image two with the brown leather chairs is the Wheelhouse Bar (this is where they have Happy Hour - gets very crowded); image four with the wall mural is Sabatini's which on sea days becomes Alfredo's for sit down waiter pizza service; image 5 with red seats is the theatre (can't really talk about shows etc as we do not go); image 7 with light tan chairs and tables is part of Explorer's Lounge (elite/platinum/suite lounge held in rear of Explorers near windows not showing in photo); image 8 and 11 are adults only pool with cover in place (nice and quiet here when we were on board in Dec. This is not the Sanctuary); image 20 is the coffee bar (no International Café on Island at this time).

We had an ocean view cabin on Deck 6 and it was one of the new ones from what we understand. Bathroom was larger than the balcony room bathroom we had on the Ruby last year!! Modern square sink and shower was square with little ledge you could put a foot up on to shave the legs or if you have a really, really, really skinny posterior you might be able to sit but that soooo would not be my situation :)

Can't really speak to the entertainment venues as we don't generally go and I don't remember what was listed in the Patters. If you get the chance and are interested, there is a pretty interesting area near the front of the Wheelhouse Bar that has antique cruising stuff. Internet worked well when we were on, I think the upgrades or changes they made really made a difference. The internet guy was super nice and helpful - can't remember his name and just 'cause he was on our cruise doesn't mean he is still there. Hope this helps.

Anne

Hey Les,

Happy cruising,

Anne

Hi Anne, thanks for call and info. Might catch up with you in Sydney after your Emerald cruise from Southampton to Sydney, lot of Aussies on your cruise too, they might run out of beer and ice cream, sorry Bob.

I finally found a post refurb picture (although it is a pretty low resolution) picture of the back of the ship. I am having a hard time figuring out how the deckplans match up to the picture.

My exploration also brought up a question. Is the small deck in the middle of the Emerald deck the only public area in the aft of the ship? I don't consider the pay to enter Sanctuary a "public" area.

Thanks.

Checking deck plans on Princess site, appears that Emerald Deck aft is still open space, all the rest filled in with cabins. We are aft in a balcony cabin on Emerald deck 8, so the corridor will be busy !!

Deck 8 is the only aft public outdoor space (apart from deck 16).

Here are my perceptions about overcrowding:

On our recent PC full transit the show was repeated in the theater 3 times a night almost every night (6.30, 8.00 and 9.45). We went to the 6.30 or 9.45 and could walk in just before the show started. There were always spare seats. But as we left the theater around 7-7.15 after the early show there were always lines already forming for the 8pm show.

The Wheelhouse bar always seemed pretty busy as we walked out of the theater but later, say after 9, on the few days we went there we were able to find plenty of seats.

We didn't generally go to Explorers, but it was standing room only for the Marriage Game competition.

We didn't have trouble finding a lounger at the pool when we wanted one.

We were ATD and never had to queue - we went for dinner at around 8pm. I don't know whether there were lines earlier as we were never around to see.

Overall, we didn't find the ship crowded. But I think our schedule helped.

Hope that's helpful.

Edited by FirstCruiseBeth