MITSUGIRLY'S birthday cruise on the JADE review/pictorial

mitsugirly

I just finished binge reading your Getaway review yesterday. We are sailing on her in May. Thank you so much for all the great pics! Now I'm hooked on this one.

Beringer White Zin had always been my wine of choice. If you enjoyed it the you need to try a Moscato. Even better that the Zin!

Can't wait to read the rest of this review and to see what faces and poses Sakari makes next!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I can't imagine binge reading any of my reviews...I would be crossed eyed or blind. :eek: :p But seriously, glad you are enjoying them.

I have tried Moscato. It has been recommended to me by several people I know and family. I had a bottle sitting in my fridge until recently. I did not like it. It was bitter. :p

I wouldn't be able to drag myself away either, it sounds yummy!!

Oh it was!

Once again, thank you. I am at the beach with a drink on my hand reading your review. The review is just so honest and personable, a pleasure to read and enjoy. Keep up the amazing work.

By the way, I am not sure how any of you managed to get any homework done. I am sure that mom and I would had failed at it, big time :D.

Ps. Water! Ur archenemy?! Lol ��

Well thanks for sharing that you are sitting on the beach with a drink in your hand. I'm jealous now! :D It's 75 degrees here today and the sun is shining and I'm inside trying to write a review while I think about how I should be doing another assignment. Oops :o

It was super hard to do homework on a cruise and I had to keep telling myself that it could be worse...I could be home doing it instead. Yea, I'll take the view of the ocean beside me any day. :D

Yea enemy nemesis and anything else you want to call it. :p (I swear they needing an animated laughing smiley on here!)

Ok, I HAVE to get started on another assignment for this week. If I manage to either get it done or close to being done, I'll be back later today/tonight to keep the review going with our first port day. :D Wish me luck. It's really hard to concentrate with this nice weather outside. I would much rather be at the park with the kids (Sakari has her little friend over and my grandson is over as well...this should go over well testing my concentration skills). :p

What beautiful pictures you captured of the sun setting!

Have you ever given the origin of Sakari's name? Just curious since your other children are all "K"s.

Next time try a white sangria. The fruit really helps. I can't drink red wine, if I'm in a dining situation where everyone at the table is drinking red, I'll splash some Sprite in mine to make it drinkable. Otherwise, I'm like you I prefer umbrella fruity cocktails to wine.

Enjoying the review! Looking forward to the first Port of Call!

Well thanks for sharing that you are sitting on the beach with a drink in your hand. I'm jealous now! :D It's 75 degrees here today and the sun is shining and I'm inside trying to write a review while I think about how I should be doing another assignment. Oops :o

It was super hard to do homework on a cruise and I had to keep telling myself that it could be worse...I could be home doing it instead. Yea, I'll take the view of the ocean beside me any day. :D

Yea enemy nemesis and anything else you want to call it. :p (I swear they needing an animated laughing smiley on here!)

Reviews are as much fun as the beach :)

Don't feel so bad, my life is about to end when I start grad school in may, lol :D

I was very impressed by your dedication to your homework and to getting Sakari to do hers as well! I had to laugh at the water nemesis. I like water out of my filtered water on my fridge, but other than that, I totally agree!

We finished and headed back to the room to find this little guy

P2210411%20copy-L.jpg

I have grown really fond of your daughter and I have only met her through your reviews. She is really a character. Sitting in exactly the same pose as the towel rabbit. Thank you for sharing.

I just had to mention that I sent my sister the link to your review since we will be on the Jade in the Fall.

She wants to know what time you get up to get such great pics with no people in them. I said dawn:D

P2240725%20copy-L.jpg

Now I did want to get a picture of the smoking section, for those that smoke and those that want to avoid smoke.

I thought this was EXTREMELY strange...The entire opposite side was non-smoking. This side (in the picture below) is the smoking side. The entire side is smoking EXCEPT 2 rows of tables. Um...ok. You can see the 2 rows of tables, they are a different color. They had the non-smoking sign on the table. Now WHY would you make the entire side smoking except for 2 rows of tables??? I did see people smoking at them anyhow so...just saying. It was WEIRD!

P2270915%20copy-L.jpg

Great review I'm really enjoying the read. Just wanted to point out that directly to the left of the two different colored tables in the pic above is the children's mini pool and entrance to the little guppies area. I'm assuming this is the reason they blocked that area off. Anyhow it looks like your family had a great time and thanks for he awesome review!

Yep we tried the "White" (which wasn't really white) Zinfande. It wasn't too bad. Still a bit of a bitter taste but obviously we were definitely able to drink it all with no problem. So I'm keeping that on my list so far. :D

Yes, having a concierge is a perk of being Platinum, however I have no idea who or how you get one?

Kim, in the Gem class ships, the concierge's office is just behind the Guest Services office - I believe it is in the hallway to the right and you can just go there when he/she is there and get the phone number and then call her if you want reservations. One thing she can do is make reservations for you at the MDR so you never have to wait. She can also arrange you priority tender tickets and get you off the ship with the first group on the last day of the cruise if you do self-disembarkation. The other thing, she can arrange NCL shore excursions (big deal.)

In regards to Pink Zinfandel, this is in the class of gateway wines I told you about along with Gamay Rouge. Zinfandel grapes are actually purple. To make Pink Zinfandel, the grapes are skinned BEFORE being pressed, hence the pretty pink color. It is the skin that gives red wine the deep red color and also the bitterness you have noticed.

That game table is indeed a shuffleboard table. Here's how to play the game:

Sorry you got such a lousy cabin steward. I must ask, how low was Sakari's bunk over your bed? It looked like it would unfold really, really low :eek: I also wondered if that table was actually meant to be in your cabin or not. It was a very crowded arrangement, that's for sure!

HI all!

mitsugirly ~ enjoying your review as always & thanks for doing it.:D Glad you got to do the behind the scenes tour as I didn't know they had it the 1st day either so missed it on my Christmas Epic cruise, my first as platinum.:mad: I'm not going to miss it on Getaway next May, you can be sure!

I'm going on Sky next month & have written down some drink suggestions from this review. I'm not much of a drinker either but will try your wine & almond drink for sure.;)

Is the whole family going on Breeze?

~ Jo ~ :)

Do you know how much the cheapest bottle of champagne is on board ship? Also when you have the universal beverage package do they let you get a drink as soon as you get on board? I thought a glass of champagne at sail away would be great but I don't know if I need to bring the champagne in order to have it or whether the drink package would supply it that early in the cruise!

The Villa Sandi Prosecco is $48.50 - you can get it delivered to your stateroom on the NCL website.

Veuve Cliquet is $105.02

Dom is $234.82

If you can get a drink or not depends on your port of departure. On ships leaving Houston and Galveston, you might not be allowed to have any alcohol until you are at sea.

I hope you enjoy it.

Oh I'm sorry. I thought you meant all of the specialty restaurants. Yes, La Cucina is al la carte (according to them) now. But I can't speak for the others since we don't go to them.

We didn't pay at all. Since we are platinum members we get a free meal (well actually 2 free meals...one for me and one for the hubby). :)

Thank you for verifying that. I was going to go in November but with it ala carte (I'm just a lowly silver member ;) ), I guess we'll be skipping it. It also seems they have gotten rid of my favorite thing, the big pizza with beef and garlic....so just another reason to save my money. Again, thank you.

• Like 1

The waitress came around with the water.....ah the water. Ok, now, I know this is weird but...we do not drink water. I hate water. There's no taste. I can not drink water. It's just yucky. The hubby doesn't like it either and neither does Sakari. I know how good it is for you. I know the benefits. I just CAN'T. The only way that I drink water at home is if I have the packets of flavoring to put in it and it has to be grape and it has to have caffeine as well. I am addicted to caffeine. I get major migraines if I don't have it. I don't drink coffee. I only drink pop. (Hiding in shame now). Sakari has NEVER liked the taste of water either. Not even as a baby. She absolutely refused to drink it. She always insisted on milk. She's a milk or juice girl. I honestly hate that she won't drink it, but then again, I can completely understand since I'm the same way.

[/font][/size][/color]

Ok I seriously thought I was the only one who was like that. I HATE water-the only time I drink it is if I'm in the sun and desperate!!! My go to drink is Coke, too LOL.and I've had criticism for YEARS,esp being a nurse. But, all of my labs are healthy, my teeth are intact etc so I figure let me live as I will LOL!!

Stacey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After the tour, Sakari decided she wanted a snack and to go to the kids club for all of a total hour. LOL We stopped off to get her some grapes and off she went.

We spent some time browsing around the ship and I noticed the cheetah/leopard print coverings in one area and had to message my daughter (Kendra) back home to show her she was missing out on this fabulous view of the ship (she loves cheetah/leopard print anything).

IMG_3650%20copy-L.jpg

We headed outside to just gaze at the water for awhile. It was such a beautiful day with a calm sea to start our journey.

IMG_3649%20copy-L.jpg

Since I was (am) still in school and this was only my 2nd week for this particular class (and 7th week for another class), we needed to have internet service. Also, the hubby still had to work as well. So, we decided to purchase the full week, unlimited internet plan. It cost $209 total and we thought it was well worth it. We could do our work and schooling at any time, check up on the kids, check our social media, read emails and instant message people. It was perfect for what we needed it for.

I will admit that there were times that it got slow (late at night) and our personal small computer we brought with us and our phones were much faster than using the ships computers, but for the most part, it served its purpose for us.

The only issue I have is that for $209 you should be able to sign on more than 1 device (at least within the same cabin). UGH! It was such a hassle signing in and out between the hubby and I. We did have multiple issues (especially at night) when we would sign out of our phone, but couldn't get signed in on another phone or the computer. It would say that we were already signed on to another device. Sometimes we would completely have to go into the settings and deactivate the wifi all the way in order to get it to disconnect so the other person could sign in. For the most part, signing in and out of the phones was good...it was the computer that had issues. There were several nights (2) that I was at my wits end with trying to get signed on to the computer in our cabin to do homework. Later on that...

Here's the screen when you sign on...

IMG_3655%20copy-L.jpg

You always screamed for joy when you seen the "Success you are online" at the top.

This is one area where Carnival definitely has the edge! I was able to purchase high-speed internet on a Carnival Cruise for two weeks for a total of $160.

In the Gem class ships, the concierge's office is just behind the Guest Services office - I believe it is in the hallway to the right and you can just go there when he/she is there and get the phone number and then call her if you want reservations. One thing she can do is make reservations for you at the MDR. She can also arrange you priority tender tickets and get you off the ship with the first group on the last day of the cruise if you do self-disembarkation.

Sorry you got such a lousy cabin steward. I also wondered if that table was actually meant to be in your cabin or not.

Actually, the concierge "desk" was near the suite breakfast restaurant on the Pearl, Jade and Star depending on whether the ship has been upgraded. Since the Jade has not moved Moderno to deck 13 yet, the concierge would have been either at the Cagney's reception desk or at the entrance to the Star Bar. You do have to seek them out to get the Platinum perk.

The desk near Guest Services is for restaurant reservations on the jewel and dawn class ships. They aren't too helpful, so the concierge can be a big help.

We had the table and other desk in our inside on the Jade and in an ocean view on the Pearl. Same set up and you are right, it is a tight.

2,224 passengers and 1,100 crew for a total of 3324 people on board at full capacity.

I'm not sure what you mean by "who would need to use the lifeboats in an emeergency?" If there was an emergency, I would hope everyone would need to use the lifeboats? :confused: Maybe I'm not understanding your question? :)

Woo hoo...have a great cruise!

Yes, you're misunderstanding but that's okay! I was just wanting to know if there is plenty of spare space on lifeboats as compared to the number of souls on board Jade. I don't want another Titanic! Especially since I get on board in only four days! Thanks for the great review! :D

Edited by Jana60

What beautiful pictures you captured of the sun setting!

Have you ever given the origin of Sakari's name? Just curious since your other children are all "K"s.

Next time try a white sangria. The fruit really helps. I can't drink red wine, if I'm in a dining situation where everyone at the table is drinking red, I'll splash some Sprite in mine to make it drinkable. Otherwise, I'm like you I prefer umbrella fruity cocktails to wine.

Enjoying the review! Looking forward to the first Port of Call!

Thanks. I love to try to capture the sunsets.

Sakari is a name we came up with because we wanted a unique name that you would never hear. I did a search for unique names and Sakari was on the list and it said that it was an American Indian name that meant "Sweet like sugar". I have a lot of Indian in me (my moms dad was full blood Cherokee). Then the hubby is a sugar freak and we always ask him if he'd like some coffee with his sugar. So, the sweet like sugar part was perfect. Her 2 middle names are a mixture of mine and my hubbys middle name.

What we did was...I had a poll on (back in the day when everyone used myspace) that told all my friends and relatives that we were looking for a very unique name that no one would ever pick. Then I listed 10 names. I took all the names that no one PICKED and narrowed it down to the 3 that had 0 on it. Then told everyone to pick again. Sakari was the name left that not one person picked....so that's what we wanted. :D See how tricky I was?

I have only came across 1 person that said their child was named Sakari. We were in Roatan and one of the locals was talking to us. They were from another country and said their son was named Sakari.

So there ya have it.

My other children are all K's because they are from my last marriage. Not only are they all K's, but all of our middle initials are A's. Then...to take it a step further...everyone had 1 letter off from each other. For instance...my middle name Ann-3 letters. My youngest son Aric-4 letters. My oldest daughter Alise-5 letters. My oldest son Andrew-6 letters. Their dad (my ex of 18 years) Anthony-7 letters. (Our first names do the same thing). :eek: Yea, I had 9 months to plan on this and I made the most of it. :p

Reviews are as much fun as the beach :)

Don't feel so bad, my life is about to end when I start grad school in may, lol :D

It really sucks. I spent 4 years in school between pre-reqs and nursing classes. Took a year 1/2 off and now I'm back at it. But at least this time I can take things at my pace and not rush. I could finish next Spring if I took full classes. But I'm in no hurry. I still want to enjoy life to some extent. :p

I was very impressed by your dedication to your homework and to getting Sakari to do hers as well! I had to laugh at the water nemesis. I like water out of my filtered water on my fridge, but other than that, I totally agree!

Hey, I impressed myself, but knew it was important. Convincing Sakari to do the same provided to be a task at times. But I explained to her that if she didn't do it, they would not allow her to cruise anymore and we would go without her (like that would ever happen, but she didn't know that).

There are times that I can drink water...but ONLY out of a water fountain. That's the only type I like when needed. I don't know what it is about it.

I am doing my happy dance because I now have another great review by you to read :)

Glad you danced right over to the review. Glad to have you here.

I have grown really fond of your daughter and I have only met her through your reviews. She is really a character. Sitting in exactly the same pose as the towel rabbit. Thank you for sharing.

Haha, I hadn't even noticed that. :eek: :p

I just had to mention that I sent my sister the link to your review since we will be on the Jade in the Fall.

She wants to know what time you get up to get such great pics with no people in them. I said dawn:D

Actually a majority of the ship pictures are done the day we get on the ship. People get on the ship and head to the food and pool area, which leaves the other places empty. The other great time to get pictures is the last day of the cruise. I have found that most people are off enjoying a show or at one of the bar/clubs and it's a great time to take certain pictures. Other than that, I simply wait for the opportunity that there's no one there or people to walk by to snap a picture. Honestly, I don't take pictures in the mornings unless it's just documenting our breakfast. :p

Great review I'm really enjoying the read. Just wanted to point out that directly to the left of the two different colored tables in the pic above is the children's mini pool and entrance to the little guppies area. I'm assuming this is the reason they blocked that area off. Anyhow it looks like your family had a great time and thanks for he awesome review!

Ohhhh, you are so right. Maybe that's why they have it like that. So if that's the reason, you would think that they would just totally move the smoking section over to the other side and put the non-smokers over by the kids area. :confused: Who the heck thinks of these things??? LOL

Kim, in the Gem class ships, the concierge's office is just behind the Guest Services office - I believe it is in the hallway to the right and you can just go there when he/she is there and get the phone number and then call her if you want reservations. One thing she can do is make reservations for you at the MDR so you never have to wait. She can also arrange you priority tender tickets and get you off the ship with the first group on the last day of the cruise if you do self-disembarkation. The other thing, she can arrange NCL shore excursions (big deal.)

In regards to Pink Zinfandel, this is in the class of gateway wines I told you about along with Gamay Rouge. Zinfandel grapes are actually purple. To make Pink Zinfandel, the grapes are skinned BEFORE being pressed, hence the pretty pink color. It is the skin that gives red wine the deep red color and also the bitterness you have noticed.

That game table is indeed a shuffleboard table. Here's how to play the game:

Sorry you got such a lousy cabin steward. I must ask, how low was Sakari's bunk over your bed? It looked like it would unfold really, really low :eek: I also wondered if that table was actually meant to be in your cabin or not. It was a very crowded arrangement, that's for sure!

I did not see any concierge office after the guest services desk or that hallway.

Quite honestly, we never waited at any of the venues, whether it be the MDR or specialty. Very seldom have I ever waited on either of those, so really no need to make reservations. So really no need for concierge. We have done the priority tender tickets before and on this one and all we had to do was just walk down to the tender on our own and show the person standing there our key cards showing we are platinum. No need for a concierge for that. We never ever want to be the first group off the ship if we can help it. We usually don't even get up until 8am on the last day and get a leisurely breakfast and take our time getting off. They give us the priority yellow tickets the night before, which allows us to walk off right after they call the self disembark people or we can leave at any time after that. So that's usually what we do. I really have found no need for a concierge. To me, it's just a waste of tip money for something I can totally do on my own. Just my thoughts. :)

Thanks for the explanation on the grapes and wine. That's pretty cool. I think I'll stick to the pink from now on. I hate red.

Thanks for the shuffleboard link. That helps explain it. I thought Judy was going to win it!!! LOL I hadn't pictured the people being on the same side. I thought it was played like most games...one person on one side and the other person on the other. Thanks for clarifying. Got it now. :D

We get interior rooms often, so I think they all come down about the same distance over the bed below. I always have the hubby sleep under it...I tell him it's his "man cave" area. You definitely can't sit up or anything when in bed and it's down. The table was just in an odd place but it is supposed to be there. That's where the tv and a few shelves are and they have outlets there for you to use. I just think the bed should have been moved over a little. It's the first time I have ever noticed the bed being so close that you had to squeeze between the two.

HI all!

mitsugirly ~ enjoying your review as always & thanks for doing it.:D Glad you got to do the behind the scenes tour as I didn't know they had it the 1st day either so missed it on my Christmas Epic cruise, my first as platinum.:mad: I'm not going to miss it on Getaway next May, you can be sure!

I'm going on Sky next month & have written down some drink suggestions from this review. I'm not much of a drinker either but will try your wine & almond drink for sure.;)

Is the whole family going on Breeze?

~ Jo ~ :)

You are welcome and glad you are here.

I would LOVE to do the behind the scenes on the Epic (and will hopefully get to do it this November). Have you ever watched the episode with Kevin Sheehan on undercover boss? He's on the Epic and it shows part of the galley and it looks amazing and that's the part I want to see. It's like on a different floor that the dining rooms and you take a escalator back and forth. I don't want to miss that tour.

I love the toasted almond and also the dirty banana (or is it monkey) LOL

Nope, just the 3 of us on the Breeze this time.

I'm so excited! You are almost to ports!!! Can't wait to read about LFK!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

LOL, you are your LFK. :D