Internet access on the Explorer of the Seas

Was on explorer this week. The wifi was very spotty. I have an iPhone 6 and had a lot of trouble getting on the Internet. Very slow. My son has a 5s and it worked better for him. Some days I only had internet once or twice. Many times our texts wouldn't go to each other even though we were both on the ship. It was better than nothing but don't count on it on the sea days. Purchase it before you sail for thirty percent off. It is not on sale once you board. They also wouldn't give me a discount for adding a second device once on board.

• 2 weeks later...

DH and I are on Explorer in October Seattle to Sydney (24 nights). More sea days than port days...Has VOOM actually been installed? Shows I can purchase surf or surf and stream on our reservation. Purchasing ahead of trip is better price for me than using my D+ discount once onboard. The question is - if VOOM has indeed been installed can I do facetime (Apple) or Skype video or instant chat in facebook messenger using Surf package or do I need Surf and Stream. Every ship has engineer/tech people working on board. Can someone take the time to go to Guest Services and ask... Thanks.

• 4 months later...
Just booked an 11 night South Pacific for 2017. Was wondering if anyone traveling on the Explorer had any updates on whether Explorer has "true" Voom (O3b network) or the watered down version?

Explorer does not have O3b internet. I've not seen any updates on when (or if) O3b will be rolled out to other ships.

Just booked an 11 night South Pacific for 2017. Was wondering if anyone traveling on the Explorer had any updates on whether Explorer has "true" Voom (O3b network) or the watered down version?

I'm currently on the Explorer Transpacific with the surf & stream package. It is not as fast as Allure but there are no complaints from myself as far as speed & ability to connect. Others that I have talked to were also very happy with the internet service.

Terry

I'm currently on the Explorer Transpacific with the surf & stream package. It is not as fast as Allure but there are no complaints from myself as far as speed & ability to connect. Others that I have talked to were also very happy with the internet service.

Terry

That is an improvement over the northbound Transpacific last April.