Amsterdam or Volendam? Open space and nicer balcony cabins

dcsam

Looking at an Alaska cruise aboard the Volendam or Amsterdam. Which ship would have updated cabins (balcony or suite); and more outdoor space? We were on the Oosterdam last summer. While we enjoyed the Signature suite, I didn't care for the large ship size; crowds and the confined feeling while walking around. Much prefer HALs smaller ships for these reasons. Just trying to decide between the two mentioned. Thanks so much.😊

I have no experience on the Amsterdam, but we sailed Alaska on the Volendam last May. Loved it! Yes, she was showing some age, but it's the perfect sized ship for this itinerary. A BIG bonus for us was that the Volendam sailed Wed-Wed instead of embarking/disembarking on a Saturday or Sunday. For our cruise, that translated to fewer ships in port at the same time. :D Just another aspect to consider when you select your cruise. :)

Having now been on all the R and S class ships, I put the Amsterdam on the bottom of the list. Which was a surprise since this is the "flagship", but I found the decor dreary and/or gaudy and we had a particularly bad problem with our starboard side balcony (which I hope has now been fixed) and over-powering sewer stench that made it unusable for most of the cruise.

However, beyond those two issues (one subjective - one objective), the rest of the ship offered everything we like about HAL ships. That being said, I would go with the Volendam, which we thought was very lovely and we had no problems at all. Zaandam emerged at the top of our list within these two classes. But really, they are all virtually the same and all of them report glitches from time to time.

The Amsterdam and Volendam are the same class ships, so they are the same layout: same outdoor space.

These R-class ships are not really being kept up as well as the Vista and Signature class are, but I can't say how the cabins are being kept.

I used to love this class and still do, just disappointed that the Vista is so much better in respect to food and decorating, upkeep.

I would go with the Volendam.

The Amsterdam has been my favorite HAL ship and is the same class as the Volendam which I am trying for the first time this summer. I too like the Wednesday to Wednesday sailing out of Vancouver and I think the Volendam goes to Glacier Bay and the Amsterdam does not this year. I personally do not think any of the R class ships have updated cabins - tried and true décor is my opinion.

Thank you. I just booked the May 4th Volendam on their flash sale. We've never been to Alaska this early. Brrrr❄️ I'll be sure to pack warmer clothes for this trip. Thanks again.

I went to Alaska last year on the Volendam sailing May 7 and the weather was fabulous! The only cold day was in Glacier Bay. I loved the Volendam-the ship is full of flowers, and the crew seemed even friendlier than normal!

Thank you. I just booked the May 4th Volendam on their flash sale. We've never been to Alaska this early. Brrrr❄️ I'll be sure to pack warmer clothes for this trip. Thanks again.

Congratulations! Glad you got a good deal!

Weather in Alaska is very, very changeable. It will likely be cool. but as has been mentioned, you could have warm days. If you pack a variety of clothing, you can't go wrong.

How did you find out about a Flash sale?

See you aboard!