Regal Princess - March 20th Wine policy

girlofthewest

I was researching wine and what you could bring onboard and was wondering if anyone had recent knowledge of the pricing of a bottle of wine. If you bring more than 2 bottles onboard, they will charge you a corkage fee of $15.00, it is cheaper to pay that then buy a bottle during dinner? :confused:

Searched the board. Found my answers. Removed my response.

Once again, I'm thankful for this board. I did not know you could bring additional bottles of wine for $15.

THANK YOU CRUISE CRITIC!!

Edited by blueseas4me2

I was researching wine and what you could bring onboard and was wondering if anyone had recent knowledge of the pricing of a bottle of wine. If you bring more than 2 bottles onboard, they will charge you a corkage fee of $15.00, it is cheaper to pay that then buy a bottle during dinner? :confused:

cheaper depends on how much you would be paying for the wine that you might take on board...

Seem to recall that the cheapest white is about $24 +15% grat on board, or thereabouts.

I think you pay a corkage fee for every bottle, but perhaps I'm wrong.

We always pour a glass of wine in our cabin and carry it with us to the dining room. People walk around with drinks all the time so we've never felt strange doing that.

No corkage fee for the first two bottles if you keep the bottles in your cabin. Anything over the two bottles brought on board will get the fee and will be stamped so you could bring those bottles to the dining room

Once again, I'm thankful for this board. I did not know you could bring additional bottles of wine for $15.

THANK YOU CRUISE CRITIC!!

On the boarding pass, it says:

"additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $16 corkage fee each"

'steelers36' created a very helpful Excel document to compare bringing wine onboard vs. purchasing on the ship:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48676018&postcount=39

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yes on the additional corkage fee's.

The lowest priced bottles of wine on board are in the high $20's. Wine of equivalent quality (Beringer, Woodbridge) is $4 or $5 a bottle from your local grocery chain. Wines that are $8-$11/bottle at a big box store or warehouse club are pushing $40 on board. The math is pretty easy.

Edited by fishywood

Nope. We brought 10 bottles with us on our 7 day Alaska cruise last year. We put them in back packs & carried them on. Paid for 8 bottles corking fee. Nice to have wine at dinner. Cheaper this way.

.... will I look odd when I board - dragging a little wagon behind me, with, like, 14 bottles of wine in it ...????:D

Not any more odd then the couple with a 2 wheel dolly stacked 5 feet high with cases of water/sodas/wine etc. :rolleyes:

Edited by Colo Cruiser

.... will I look odd when I board - dragging a little wagon behind me, with, like, 14 bottles of wine in it ...????:D

I can't speak to whether the look is odd, but I can say you won't be the only one toting multiple bottles of wine.

We use a wheeled bag that I believe is called a "shopper's tote." Basically it's an upright, rectangular tote bag with wheels and a telescoping handle. A cardboard, divided wine carton from the liquor store fits perfectly as a liner for the bottom half. In go our 6* bottles. I twist a rubber band around the necks of the two bottles we plan to keep in our room, so it's easy to show the wine table attendant which bottles need the corkage stamps.

*The tote is large enough to accommodate two beverage cartons stacked. Put two bottles in the side pockets, and there's your wagonload of 14 bottles.

We discard the cardboard liner onboard, and use the wheeled tote for our last-night necessities, dirty clothes, whatever.

This is a low-budget solution that works well for a couple of low-budget wine drinkers. But for me it's not really about cost savings per bottle. It's about spending the same amount of money on wine I know we will enjoy. I really appreciate the fact that Princess allows us this option.