Walking Tours of Amsterdam

My DW and I are going to be in Amsterdam for 3 days prior to our cruise in July.

I think that a walking tour of the city would be a fun thing to do, and I would like to "pick the brains" of those of you who have taken walking tours of Amsterdam before.

I have found a walking tour company, Sandeman's, which comes highly recommended on TripAdvisor. Have any of you taken their tours?

What was your experience like? Would you recommend them? Sanderman's offers 1 on 1 tours as well as group tours. Which is better?

Any others that are worth considering?

Thanks!

Have had excellent experience with them, also worth checking out is the Tours By Locals company -- also excellent! That being said we have also used the Rick Steeves book that included a couple of self guided walking tours and found things we would not have otherwise seen/noticed. Very walkable place, just be very, very careful of bikes, they can sneak up on you!

If you love Dutch Apple Pie make sure you go to Winkel 43, has a Green awning, can have long lines, move quickly, delicious but not cheap!

Edited by shertwo

My DW and I are going to be in Amsterdam for 3 days prior to our cruise in July.

I think that a walking tour of the city would be a fun thing to do, and I would like to "pick the brains" of those of you who have taken walking tours of Amsterdam before.

I have found a walking tour company, Sandeman's, which comes highly recommended on TripAdvisor. Have any of you taken their tours?

What was your experience like? Would you recommend them? Sanderman's offers 1 on 1 tours as well as group tours. Which is better?

Any others that are worth considering?

Thanks!

Hi,:) I am going to Amsterdam next month and have been researching

Trip Advisor...OMG.....there are sooooooo many choices of tours:eek:

I found one called Amsterdam Classic Tours. It is not free but looks

very good and when I emailed them I received a very prompt reply.

I haven't booked with them yet but you may want to check them out

too.:)

I had never heard of Rick Steves until a couple of years ago. Being curious I have watched some of his videos. He never seems to go anywhere that is quirky or off the beaten track. Gets lots of his facts and figures wrong. Doesn't even bother to learn how to pronounce the foreign words he insists on using, which is not surprising as he has difficulty in the correct English pronunciations

I suppose he has been lucky in making a fortune in doing something not very well.

Have had excellent experience with them, also worth checking out is the Tours By Locals company -- also excellent! That being said we have also used the Rick Steeves book that included a couple of self guided walking tours and found things we would not have otherwise seen/noticed. Very walkable place, just be very, very careful of bikes, they can sneak up on you!

Agree that Rick Steves' books can be an invaluable resource for first time visitors. His walking tours are quite good and contain excellent directions and tips. You can find his books on Amazon, at bookstores & your local library.

Yes, those bikes can certainly "sneak up on you", especially if a person is similar to myself & is too preoccupied with taking in the sights and is not focused on traffic/bikes.

I had never heard of Rick Steves until a couple of years ago. Being curious I have watched some of his videos. He never seems to go anywhere that is quirky or off the beaten track. Gets lots of his facts and figures wrong. Doesn't even bother to learn how to pronounce the foreign words he insists on using, which is not surprising as he has difficulty in the correct English pronunciations

I suppose he has been lucky in making a fortune in doing something not very well.

You are so totally wrong about Rick Steve's, his books are full of valuable information and time saving tips. He definitely talks about places off the beaten path as well as more famous sites. My daughter and I took our first trip to Europe in 2000, using his book we went completely freestyle booking B & B's when we decided we found a village or town we wanted to stay in.

I have never found any of his information to be incorrect, some things could be out of date if you are using an old version of his books so you need to keep that in mind. I also use other travel guides and the internet to supplement.

Maybe you are a negative traveler. Too bad you must miss so much!