Good, not too expensive dinner near Pan Pacific Vancouver

Mom and I will be staying at the Pan Pacific Vancouver the night before our Alaska cruise. We've eaten at its more casual restaurant before. It was fine. I thought it might be nice to venture outside the hotel.

Mom is mobility impaired but we won't have a wheelchair until we get to the ship. Nothing is "walking distance" for us. The restaurant needs to be far enough a cab would be willing to take us, not so far it's an expensive fare.

Mom likes good, plain (to an American) fare. She'd be happy with something as simple as a chicken salad sandwich or a hamburger. Moving up the price scale, she likes roasted or grilled chicken with almost any starch or vegetable. I'm hoping not to spend too big this night, but if you have a favorite place for steak or pot roast, let's hear those as well.

Thanks for your help.

Vicki

Mom and I will be staying at the Pan Pacific Vancouver the night before our Alaska cruise. We've eaten at its more casual restaurant before. It was fine. I thought it might be nice to venture outside the hotel.

Mom is mobility impaired but we won't have a wheelchair until we get to the ship. Nothing is "walking distance" for us. The restaurant needs to be far enough a cab would be willing to take us, not so far it's an expensive fare.

Mom likes good, plain (to an American) fare. She'd be happy with something as simple as a chicken salad sandwich or a hamburger. Moving up the price scale, she likes roasted or grilled chicken with almost any starch or vegetable. I'm hoping not to spend too big this night, but if you have a favorite place for steak or pot roast, let's hear those as well.

Thanks for your help.

Vicki

There a number of restaurants within a cheap taxi ride

One local chain is White Spot that serves burgers and salads .

There is a very thread that covers vancouver by locals . Post your question there . Here is the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2203845

I'll second White Spot as a perfectly decent, good value resto that will definitely fit your Mom's criteria (and yours, especially with our dollar in the tank!) Link to dinner menu and the locations of the closest two branches - neither really have a view, but you can get a glimpse of part of Stanley Park from the Georgia Street branch which will probably only cost you a couple of bucks more than the Dunsmuir Street branch (I'd be shocked if it's more than $10 to here).

Some alternatives, which are close enough to walk if your mom can manage even one block - Rogue have a branch across the road from you, with a wide menu that encompasses a few more asian and interesting options in case you feel like something a little more exciting. Tap & Barrel have one of the best patios in the city, just on the other side of the convention centre. Again the menu will handle some burgers & chicken but with a few more interesting options - personally I think their pork belly & egg pizza is the best thing on the menu.

If the walk is too much, the cab fare to either would be so cheap the meter won't get beyond $5. Pan Pacific bellstaff will hail one, so they won't strop at you for the short ride - they'll probably loop right around again to the PP or one of the Fairmonts and get another fancy-pants person with loads of money right away;-)

Decent value steaks can be had at The Keg - several branches around town, nearest is on Dunsmuir, a little closer than the White Spot. Steaks are good, not Prime quality unless you pay a serious markup, but well-aged and good value. Where they truly excel is customer service: if anything is less than perfect, it gets fixed immediately or comped - sometimes both!

Edit - if your mom cannot walk a block, you're going to have major problems getting to the ship. Canada Place is pretty long, with a lot of walking or wheeling around to the different stages of the bag drop/security/CBP/check-in/board process. Things have changed since even last year, with new holding rooms right at the far end - if you didn't experience these last time, or maybe Mom was more mobile then, I'd be inclined to go down myself on embarkation day and ask for a wheelchair to be brought up to your room for her. Given the number of elderly pax we see around the PP, I actually wouldn't be surprised if the hotel itself has a wheelchair or two around... if you ask nicely at the desk, you might be able to borrow one for getting to the resto!

Edited by martincath

Mom is mobility impaired but we won't have a wheelchair until we get to the ship. Nothing is "walking distance" for us.

Edit - if your mom cannot walk a block, you're going to have major problems getting to the ship. Canada Place is pretty long, with a lot of walking or wheeling around to the different stages of the bag drop/security/CBP/check-in/board process....

Yep, I agree. If she cannot walk, check-in will be a small nightmare for her and you. I would definitely recommend asking about that wheelchair prior to getting on the ship. Perhaps the hotel can lend you one for evening use and the next day until you transfer over to the rental you are using on board ship.

I got my mom a "transport chair". Made life so much easier getting on the plane, boat and when exploring the ports. During plane and cruise boardings, a chair means expedited service.

The chair was also handy on those rough Pacific waters.

http://www.airgomobility.com/Products-TC-Flip-More-E.asp

The chair also worked great as a luggage cart. A carry-on bag fits between the legs, a backpack can be hung on both handles. A second carry-on item can go on the lap.

Edited by xlxo

Thank you, everyone.

Kamloops50, I appreciate the link to the home ports message board. I was not familiar with that part of CC. I found much good information there.

Martincath, thanks for your restaurant recommendations and the warning about changes to Canada Place. Mom was able to walk from the Pan Pacific to the cruise terminal last year. We told the first HAL rep we saw she needed wheelchair assistance. We were expedited through line then seated to wait for a wheelchair steward to take her onto the ship. It was a lot of walking, more than ideal, but HAL did what they could to eliminate standing waiting time. Anyway, good to know the distances may be farther this year. I may need to plan differently.

Langley Cruiser and xlxo, Thanks too for your concern about my Mom and your ideas about transport chairs. I have to figure out whether flying cross country with our own chair or using chairs and stewards at each air and sea terminal and renting one onboard works best for us.

I've also read posts on a longer thread on this board with much good information about Vancouver. I wish we had much longer to spend there.

Vicki

I have eaten at the Keg and that was good. White Spot was uneventful for me.

The last time, we ate at At Mahony & Sons a few times at: http://mahonyandsons.com/burrard-location.html

This is really close to Canada Place. Your Mom may be able to walk there. According to Google it is a 4 minute walk from the hotel. It is a pub type atmosphere but the food was really good. They have burgers, steak and sandwiches. The French Dip sandwich I had there was fabulous. My Mom loved it and she wanted to go back there again, thus we were here a few times. It is right there at the pier and gorgeous outside with the view of the water.

It would be a less of a walk then walking from the parking lot/elevator at Canada Place to the check-in area of a ship.

Edited by Coral