Money In Cozumel

selljd

Going in late October - This will be our first Cruise outside the US (we've done Alaska). Do you take cash with you for shopping and do you get it converted or just take USD???

TYIA

Unless you want a Peso as a souvenir, USD work just fine. I have yet to find a port where they weren't more than happy to take dollars.

FYI, it isn't America. They are expecting you to haggle over the price, particularly at smaller merchants. So don't just take the first price offered.

The one thing I wanted to add to this conversation is that I have found the currency conversion rate used around the island is vastly in favor of the merchant/business/etc.

For example, last time I was in Cozumel the servers were converting at 12 Pesos per U.S. dollar and the current exchange rate was more than 15 Pesos per dollar.

So a menu item that cost 88 Pesos is equivalent to:

$7.33 at 12 Pesos per dollar vs $5.87 at 15 Pesos per dollar

One place I was at wanted to convert at 10 Pesos per dollar that day. :(

I realize merchants are not in the currency exchange business but I guarantee you they never convert it in your favor and they watch the rates. :)

Also, don't freak out if you see the price for something on a menu listed for what looks like a crazy price.

Fettuccine Alfredo with Shrimp for $220 is NOT a really expensive dish of pasta.... the price is in pesos. They use the same dollar sign for MXN pesos as we do for USD dollars and CAD dollars.