Disney Dilemma

JP96

To clarify... does the Coral price include the plane ride up to Whittier to begin/end your journey?

Disney is round trip and does not need a plane ride.

As mentioned earlier.... land tour opportunities at Whittier can also add to the Corel price.

Also.... are you photo junkies.... Princess pictures can add up.

Personally, with the added people..... I think Corel offers more opportunity than snorting all that pixie dust.

No, we will have to arrange our own airfare with either cruise line. We have some miles we will try to use. Not sure if they will get us to Anchorage or back.

We are not that photogenic!

We will sail Celebrity, Holland America and Princess. Will not sail NCL again. While this may not mean much to Budget Queen -- we though the free food was awful and we really don't like having to pay for food on a cruise. Food is part of our cruise enjoyment and experience. NCL does not compare well compared to Celebrity, Holland America and Princess as far as included items. We can eat on Celebrity, Holland America and Princess with out having to pay extra and we feel satisfied. And while all the cruise lines are charging more for everything NCL is a head of the pack. Think twice before picking NCL. Read some reviews of NCL cruises. We are not impressed with Celebrity's itinerary so we do not sail that line in Alaska. Our cruise on the Coral Princess was great. Great itinerary. I agree with you not to pay the Disney premium on the cruise.

Thanks for your opinion. I agree. We don't do this often enough for it to be a mode of transportation to the interior of Alaska. We want the cruise itself to be enjoyable/high end, with better food, service, etc. Vacation for me means a break from cooking and cleaning up all of the time. I guess that is what attracted me to Disney in the first place since they do everything well. But perhaps that can be found on Princess and HAL. I don't know Princess and have never cruised with them, but have done many HAL cruises and think they do a good job. I would go for a cruise with them but they don't offer a second glacier day instead of another day at sea (at least on their one way itineraries). Maybe glacier bay would be enough. Plus the smoking on HAL on balconies is an issue for me. It could be totally fine though.

I can't comment on Alaska (first cruise there yet to happen) but I will say my DS who is 11 loves Club HAL. They have great staff and a nice mix of activities. He loves it so much he ditches us whenever it is open! I am actually worried he will not see any scenery in Alaska when we are not in port because he will be so busy playing ;)

DH and I like HAL a lot - staff is excellent, food excellent, and we prefer the more grown up feel of the ship to more party oriented cruise lines.

Thanks for replying. That's good to know since my kids would be in that age range. Have you ever tried Princess?

Did you do a north or southbound Coral? Any touring before or after?

I have done North and Southbound Princess. Many RT out of Vancouver where I did Vancouver to Whittier and then Whittier to Vancouver B2B. I did do a Southbound on Princess on the Coral Princess by itself. I just did a few days of touring around Seward and Anchorage. It is an excellent ship, covered pool and I think one of the best itineraries for both North and Southbound.

Ironically - my one ways in Alaska have cost me less then the RTs in Alaska. For that reason, it balances the air cost. For me - I fly all day to get anywhere as I have no direct connections - so it doesn't bother me to fly to Anchorage.

I also prefer the 2 glacier days on Princess's cruises. This is a selling point for me. I am hesitant of HAL (after cruising successfully with them) due to their smoking policies. I wonder if everyone who smokes is now sailing them instead of other lines due to their open policies as I can't stand the smell of smoke.

I could care less about the picture package on NCL. I prefer the pictures I take so this is not going to sway me to NCL. My TA who knows me well thinks I would hate NCL and all the extra charges - so I have not cruised them.

Princess along with other lines have had significant cutbacks - no lie. I am definitely not a Princess cheerleader, I am critical of them on the Princess board due to their cutbacks, new ship designs, etc... But I do think their itineraries are great along with other enrichment items such as Libby Riddles speaking on the ship, naturalists, etc.. - Here is a link:

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/north-to-alaska/

I think they do Alaska well. I think your kids will do fine on any mass line - they all have kids programs.

Edited by Coral

What did they like about the kids club on HAL? My family always went on HAL when I was a kid but my parents never stayed in balcony rooms, which we are planning to have. I would like to go on HAL since I think they do a good job, but I'm so allergic to smoke that I'm kind of nervous about HAL.

Can I ask which land tour you chose?

Thanks!

What my kids like about Club HAL:

Typically, they have liked the specialized attention. Because we've been on cruises without a horde of kids, our boys haven't been just a number. There have always been others their ages ... but not too many. That has allowed the Club HAL personnel to tailor/change the daily activities to what the kids want to do. For example, out boys are less "crafty," and one of the counselors would break off and take a group to play games (dodgeball, basketball, shuffleboard, etc). Up until our last HAL cruise, there was always a male Club HAL counselor who would buddy up with the boys and enjoyed doing more "active" activities. I will admit, that the experience can vary depending on who the Club HAL counselors are and tell you our last Club HAL experience was probably their least favorite. There were probably two reasons: 1. The Club HAL personnel on that ship were simply less engaging. It was also our first without a fun male who played with them. 2. Age probably also had something to do with it being their least favorite. Our boys were in two different age groups. We had one at the top age of the "kid" bracket and the activities were simply too kiddie for him. Our older was the youngest in the teen group and mentally wasn't into hanging out with other teens and going to the disco.

However, like I said, we are all creatures of habit. Our kids know Club HAL and so that's what they like.

Our family tends to have a wide range of travel experiences. We always try to do things that they will find interesting on our vacations. But that doesn't mean every single activity or excursion is going to be child (teen) focused. In Alaska we plan to helicopter onto a glacier and dogsled. But we'll also be riding in a van into the Yukon to look at the scenery.

I believe kids take their cues from the parents. We don't cater to them. They are not the center of the universe. We have never looked at a kid menu in a cruise ship dining room -- the result is our kids totally don't understand why other kids would eat a hot dog when there is duck or escargot available (by the way, our boys eat plenty of burgers and chicken fingers at other times).

We've never had an issue with smoking on HAL, but I can understand if somebody is smoking next door how it could be a problem.

We are booked on Princess Coral ship/land connoisseur tour. Again, we chose that because we were looking for something different from our first Alaska cruise tour -- for variety. The bonus is that some additional meals were included on the land portion... but again, that was a bonus and not a deciding factor. I am a bit worried that our boys will the only kids on the land portion. But we're booking many active excursions independently-- so I don't think the lack of kids will be a major problem.

I'd choose Coral.

With only 3-4 days I think your best option would be to explore the area between Anchorage and Seward.

As much as I enjoy Denali, it would take your entire time frame ... getting there and back plus a day for the shuttle. Whereas the Kenai would be short travel times with multiple points of interest for kids AND adults.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

Mapleleaves, if we stayed longer, like 5 days, do you think there is still much sitting for that age group, if we take the direct to the wilderness rail? I don't recall seeing anything but scenery when I did the trip years ago. I think they may be too young.

Mapleleaves, if we stayed longer, like 5 days, do you think there is still much sitting for that age group, if we take the direct to the wilderness rail? I don't recall seeing anything but scenery when I did the trip years ago. I think they may be too young.

8am - 6pm on a train sounds pretty unappealing to ME but you know your kids best. Once you get past anchorage the primary view is trees.

If Denali is your priority, it can be done comfortably with 5 days. It could look like this:

day 1 disembark. Transfer to Anchorage for rental car. Drive to Talkeetna to overnight, stopping at Eklutna Spirit Houses, Eagle River Nature Center along the way.

day 2 drive to Denali. 2 1/2 hrs. Enjoy the 2pm sled dog demo, then drive to Savage River ( milepost 15 on park road) for the hike.

day 3 shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center. Perhaps time it to include the ranger hike at Eielson. Maybe an evening raft trip.

day 4 drive to Girdwood (6hr day). End the day with a hike at Byron Glacier to play in the snow

day 5 Wildlife Conservation Center, Potters Marsh boardwalk (occasional moose sightings), Alyeska Resort tram, Williwaw viewing platforms, Portage Lake/Glacier visitor center, look for sheep on the ridges.

Or pick up the car in Whittier

Or get a transfer that includes a stop at the Wildlife Center

Or pick up the car and drive to Denali same day

Or skip Girdwood and go to Matanuska Glacier for an ice trek if that sounds more appealing

Regardless, a visit to Denali needs at least 3 days --- 1 day of travel each way and 1 day for the shuttle.

So which option would be most enjoyable for your family?

1. Denali which will take up 3 days plus a few side trips along the way

2. Seward/Turnagain Arm with a max of 3 hrs of driving and many options for activities every day.

BTW, here are a couple of 2014 trip reports with kids where they did DIY land prior to cruise. Gives you some ideas of things to do, and photos.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2070945

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2073674

So I think we are settled on the Coral. Rental cars may be all sold out already in Whittier. Is the railroad an option for transfers back to Anchorage after the cruise or is the bus the only option?

Thanks

I regard the ship that I take to AK as merely a big bus to get me from port to port. I do not care much about anything that the ship offers. I pick the ship based on itinerary, port schedule times, and price only. However, all other external things being equal, I will pick the cheapest option as this gives me more money to spend on land based stuff - which is why I am in AK.

DON

The train leaves late in the day ... timed perfectly for people who want to take a Prince William Sound cruise pre or post their Alaska cruise.

I'm sure Whittier cars are sold out at this point. You're kinda late for planning a summer 2016 trip so even the Anchorage deals will be hard to find. I've found the best deals at Enterprise at the Intl'l Airport Rd office.

Other options include cruiseline transfer, independent transfer, Seward buslines, Park Connection Bus. For transfer companies, look on http://www.anchorage.net

The train leaves late in the day ... timed perfectly for people who want to take a Prince William Sound cruise pre or post their Alaska cruise.

I'm sure Whittier cars are sold out at this point. You're kinda late for planning a summer 2016 trip so even the Anchorage deals will be hard to find. I've found the best deals at Enterprise at the Intl'l Airport Rd office.

Other options include cruiseline transfer, independent transfer, Seward buslines, Park Connection Bus. For transfer companies, look on http://www.anchorage.net

Is there anything to see on the train back to Anchorage or will it be too dark? I called Alaska Railroad and they said it is not a domed rail train like the one HAL runs from Seward, so just an ordinary train. Will there be cabs at the station in Anchorage to get to a hotel at that time of night?

Also, the Phillips 26 glacier cruise gets back an hour before the train leaves. Is that cutting it too close or will we need to do the shorter Glacier Quest?

Thanks!

Is there anything to see on the train back to Anchorage or will it be too dark? I called Alaska Railroad and they said it is not a domed rail train like the one HAL runs from Seward, so just an ordinary train. Will there be cabs at the station in Anchorage to get to a hotel at that time of night?

Also, the Phillips 26 glacier cruise gets back an hour before the train leaves. Is that cutting it too close or will we need to do the shorter Glacier Quest?

Thanks!

Sunset is at 11 pm or so in Alaska in July

Yes - you can do the Phillips 26 glacier cruise. They time it so that you can do the boat trips and make the train back to Anchorage. Whittier is so small, as in really small. No problems making the train.

IMO - You are doing a great itinerary. Princess's Northbound itinerary is exceptional. You should look at AdventureBound in Juneau to visit Tracy Arm in a small boat as you should have time for that. Though it takes up the whole day but is amazing.

The scenery is more spectacular from Anchorage to Seward (thus the Dome cars) compared to Whittier to Anchorage.

Edited by Coral

Sunset is at 11 pm or so in Alaska in July

Yes - you can do the Phillips 26 glacier cruise. They time it so that you can do the boat trips and make the train back to Anchorage. Whittier is so small, as in really small. No problems making the train.

IMO - You are doing a great itinerary. Princess's Northbound itinerary is exceptional. You should look at AdventureBound in Juneau to visit Tracy Arm in a small boat as you should have time for that. Though it takes up the whole day but is amazing.

The scenery is more spectacular from Anchorage to Seward (thus the Dome cars) compared to Whittier to Anchorage.

Is the Major Marine or Phillips Boat in Whittier going to be a let down after that Tracey arm tour? We were thinking of a 6 hr. private whale watching/wildlife boat combined with some fishing in Juneau. Not sure if fishing would be better in Ketchikan.

Is the Major Marine or Phillips Boat in Whittier going to be a let down after that Tracey arm tour? We were thinking of a 6 hr. private whale watching/wildlife boat combined with some fishing in Juneau. Not sure if fishing would be better in Ketchikan.

I have done Major Marine and yes, it would be a let down after a Tracy Arm small boat tour. The Major Marine/Surprise Glacier tour was a good boat trip.

You can only do so much :) Enjoy the whale watch.

It does blow me away though the amount of whales and sightings of wildlife (bears, etc..) that I have seen on Tracy Arm tour and it is an all day tour and the cost is the same as a 3 hour whale tour. Look at DougH's pictures listed on the other thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1283269&highlight=adventure+bound

Edited by Coral

I have done Major Marine and yes, it would be a let down after a Tracy Arm small boat tour. The Major Marine/Surprise Glacier tour was a good boat trip.

You can only do so much :) Enjoy the whale watch.

It does blow me away though the amount of whales and sightings of wildlife (bears, etc..) that I have seen on Tracy Arm tour and it is an all day tour and the cost is the same as a 3 hour whale tour. Look at DougH's pictures listed on the other thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1283269&highlight=adventure+bound

Thanks. Is there anything else we can do in Whittier while waiting for the train besides Major Marine?

Thanks. Is there anything else we can do in Whittier while waiting for the train besides Major Marine?

You can walk around the docks and grab a coke from a convenience store..... Trying to figure out if you are trying to occupy 4 hours of time or 1 hour of time. Whittier is a fishing town, boat dock town. Everyone who lives in this town lives in one very large apartment building and that building includes the school, etc... In the winter, people don't have to leave their building. It used to be a military town. In the summer, it is used for fishing and boat trips. So walking around town will take less then 30 minutes. I had my dog with me the last time I was there so we enjoyed walking and took up more time. With out the dog, it is a quicker walk.

I would definitely plan to do a boat ride here or take an early bus back to Anchorage right away - you don't want to sit around for 4 hours. The train/bus viewing is not as scenic as Anchorage to Seward so I would not put a priority on train. If you plan on skipping the boat ride, I would check with Princess to see if they are running a train to Anchorage or take the bus.

The boat trips (Majorie Marine 2 trips and Phillips) are all unique and these three trips in Whittier are enjoyed by locals and tourists alike. I have done the Surprise glacier but have skipped the 26 glacier to catch up on sleeping.

Edited by Coral

You can walk around the docks and grab a coke from a convenience store..... Trying to figure out if you are trying to occupy 4 hours of time or 1 hour of time. Whittier is a fishing town, boat dock town. Everyone who lives in this town lives in one very large apartment building and that building includes the school, etc... In the winter, people don't have to leave their building. It used to be a military town. In the summer, it is used for fishing and boat trips. So walking around town will take less then 30 minutes. I had my dog with me the last time I was there so we enjoyed walking and took up more time. With out the dog, it is a quicker walk.

I would definitely plan to do a boat ride here or take an early bus back to Anchorage right away - you don't want to sit around for 4 hours. The train/bus viewing is not as scenic as Anchorage to Seward so I would not put a priority on train. If you plan on skipping the boat ride, I would check with Princess to see if they are running a train to Anchorage or take the bus.

The boat trips (Majorie Marine 2 trips and Phillips) are all unique and these three trips in Whittier are enjoyed by locals and tourists alike. I have done the Surprise glacier but have skipped the 26 glacier to catch up on sleeping.

Too bad Princess does not go into Seward!

Too bad Princess does not go into Seward!

They used to.

I think this works best for them to put their cruise tour people on the train direct to Denali. While Whittier is no Seward, the boat trips are nice and you are closer to Anchorage.

Edited by Coral

There is a very nice small museum. It located down near the Ferry terminal, on the other side of the rail yard. Walk thru the pedestrian tunnel under the train tracks and turn left. It in the same building as the hotel/store. Easily seen in an hour.