Disney Dilemma

JP96

My husband and I reserved a cabin at the end of July on the Disney Wonder, roundtrip Vancouver, for ourselves and our two boys, ages 9 and 12. At the same time, I reserved a similarly sized mini-suite on the Coral Princess, northbound to Whittier. I figured I would decide later. I now have five days to decide on Disney. Disney obviously has a more limited itinerary than the Coral, but my husband figured if the kids are bored at night, we would have better entertainment, and the kids club. We are not Disney Fanatics, but like a good Disney movie now and then.

To give some background, I have been on cruises to Alaska twice, both times on HAL. One time with my parents as a young adult and we went to Denali on a land tour, and the second time with my husband, no land tour, no kids. So my kids have not been to Alaska at all.

My dilemma is that Disney is $3K more than Princess. Am I nuts to do this? My older son is a real nature and bird lover but won't we have enough of that on Disney with the excursions we will take?

To complicate the issue is that my inlaws have now decided they would like to come along. They have not been to Alaska and say this may be their only trip there. I hear there are adults who will only go on Disney.

I'm now re-thinking all of my choices and wondering if we should be doing Princess, a DIY land tour or a Princess tour for a few days after? My husband and I don't want to be away for a ton of time. My inlaws have more time. Seward sounds like a better end destination than Whittier if we want to do a land tour, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for any advice or tips you can give! I have been reading boards all morning.

You left out the most important detail ...the itinerary of each cruise.

Most of us consider the itinerary to be the deciding factor; not only where it's going but the port times as well.

It sounds like you already consider the Disney cruise to be inferior yet more costly.

If you dock at Whittier it's easy enough to get to Seward same day if that's your plan. You can pick up a rental car in Whittier and drive directly to Seward in about 2 1/2 hrs ( one way rentals are pricey tho, and AVIS is the only vendor). Or you can take a transfer to Anchorage then pick up a RT rental car for the drive to Seward. Make a full day of it and enjoy the many stops along the Turnagain Arm .... pan for gold, visit the Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Lake/Glacier, hike at Byron Glacier, etc

I sure wouldn't recommend a cruisetour with children. Too much time spent in buses/trains. With your limited time, a rental car and DIY is the best option. Then you can gear the land itinerary to YOUR families interests.

Edited by mapleleaves

Here is the itinerary

I'm showing A.M., P.M., and then hours spent there:

Disney

Ketchikan 11:15 7:45 8.5

Juneau 6:45 4:45 10

Skagway 7:15 7:45 12.5

Disney does two days at sea, and I'm not sure how many hours in Tracey Arm.

Coral

Ketchikan 6:30 2 7.5

Juneau 8 9 13

Skagway 5:30 8:30 15

Coral does one day at sea, one day of GB and one day of College Fjord.

Does Disney have too much time at sea?

Thanks

What would you do if you had an extra three or four days after arriving in Whittier? My primary goal is to please my kids and show them as much wildlife as possible.

Thanks

We have done (not Alaska) Disney cruise when DS was 4 and a RCCL,when he was 10 or 11. We all enjoyed both. I am crazy about the Disney parks but think the cruise line is very much overpriced. I am glad we did it, but probably would not go again. Most cruise lines have a good assortment of childrens programs.

I vote to save the money and enjoy some great excursions - whale watching, helicopter and dog sledding. I would not have taken on our son on a land tour the age of your kids.

T

I'd choose Coral.

With only 3-4 days I think your best option would be to explore the area between Anchorage and Seward.

As much as I enjoy Denali, it would take your entire time frame ... getting there and back plus a day for the shuttle. Whereas the Kenai would be short travel times with multiple points of interest for kids AND adults.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

You left out the most important detail ...the itinerary of each cruise.

Most of us consider the itinerary to be the deciding factor; not only where it's going but the port times as well.

It sounds like you already consider the Disney cruise to be inferior yet more costly.

If you dock at Whittier it's easy enough to get to Seward same day if that's your plan. You can pick up a rental car in Whittier and drive directly to Seward in about 2 1/2 hrs ( one way rentals are pricey tho, and AVIS is the only vendor). Or you can take a transfer to Anchorage then pick up a RT rental car for the drive to Seward. Make a full day of it and enjoy the many stops along the Turnagain Arm .... pan for gold, visit the Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Lake/Glacier, hike at Byron Glacier, etc

I sure wouldn't recommend a cruisetour with children. Too much time spent in buses/trains. With your limited time, a rental car and DIY is the best option. Then you can gear the land itinerary to YOUR families interests.

I only think Disney's itinerary is inferior and the lack of Glacier Bay or two glaciers. (I have not been to Tracey Arm. Perhaps we could get shut out on a bad weather day?) I think Disney's food, service, attention to detail, etc. might actually be higher quality than Princess or HAL. We have done a short Caribbean cruise with them and the cruise itself is great, but I'm not sure that we are doing the right thing in Alaska. Besides the cost, and effort to fly across the country, are we exposing our kids to the best scenery and experiences possible and at the same time which cruise would be the most fun for them?

What would you do if you had an extra three or four days after arriving in Whittier? My primary goal is to please my kids and show them as much wildlife as possible.

Thanks

Reserve a rental car from Avis. You'll be dropping it at the airport at the end of your time, but in my opinion, it's worth the extra cost.

If you have four days, you could head to Denali. The shuttle buses into the park are a great way to see wildlife (although nothing is guaranteed). http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

If you just have 3 days, I'd head south to Seward with a stop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.

My dilemma is that Disney is $3K more than Princess.

IMHO - YEP! We will probably spend that on excursions... & the other 1/2 of we is my son who will be 8.5. We are going on a 14-night HAL cruise.

Our previous AK cruise was also on HAL & my son loved the kids activities.

Here is the itinerary

I'm showing A.M., P.M., and then hours spent there:

Disney

Ketchikan 11:15 7:45 8.5

Juneau 6:45 4:45 10

Skagway 7:15 7:45 12.5

Disney does two days at sea, and I'm not sure how many hours in Tracey Arm.

Coral

Ketchikan 6:30 2 7.5

Juneau 8 9 13

Skagway 5:30 8:30 15

Coral does one day at sea, one day of GB and one day of College Fjord.

Does Disney have too much time at sea?

Thanks

I've been on neither line, so I have no preference there. So just based purely on itinerary, I'd go with Princess. Only because Glacier Bay is part of it. It's truly a gorgeous and serene place to visit. Plus, more hours in Juneau and Skagway means you can do more things.

My boys (now ages 15 & 13) have been to Disney parks more times than they can count (we have a timeshare and going to Orlando is actually easy and inexpensive), but they've never been on a Disney cruise.

When the boys were younger they went on a couple of Carnival and Princess cruises, but their last five cruises have been on Holland America (Central America, Canada/New England, Greece/Turkey and the Baltics).

We are booked on the Coral Princess in June... and they are mad at me. HAL is what they're used to and they are set in their ways!

We have told them in the past that we'll probably never do a Disney cruise because of the cost. They are totally fine with that. We explain the cost difference by telling them, "one Disney cruise equals two HAL cruises." They would much prefer to go on two cruises than one! They like HAL and have always enjoyed the kid/teen activities. I guess we're all creatures of habit and like what we "know." ;-)

I vote for saving the money and applying it to activities/excursions (which are expensive in Alaska).

I'm sure someone will ask: We are going with Princess because my wife and I went to Alaska on HAL before kids, and we simply wanted to visit some different ports and land lodges. Plus, I think a little bit of variety for the boys will be good for them!

My boys (now ages 15 & 13) have been to Disney parks more times than they can count (we have a timeshare and going to Orlando is actually easy and inexpensive), but they've never been on a Disney cruise.

When the boys were younger they went on a couple of Carnival and Princess cruises, but their last five cruises have been on Holland America (Central America, Canada/New England, Greece/Turkey and the Baltics).

We are booked on the Coral Princess in June... and they are mad at me. HAL is what they're used to and they are set in their ways!

We have told them in the past that we'll probably never do a Disney cruise because of the cost. They are totally fine with that. We explain the cost difference by telling them, "one Disney cruise equals two HAL cruises." They would much prefer to go on two cruises than one! They like HAL and have always enjoyed the kid/teen activities. I guess we're all creatures of habit and like what we "know." ;-)

I vote for saving the money and applying it to activities/excursions (which are expensive in Alaska).

I'm sure someone will ask: We are going with Princess because my wife and I went to Alaska on HAL before kids, and we simply wanted to visit some different ports and land lodges. Plus, I think a little bit of variety for the boys will be good for them!

What did they like about the kids club on HAL? My family always went on HAL when I was a kid but my parents never stayed in balcony rooms, which we are planning to have. I would like to go on HAL since I think they do a good job, but I'm so allergic to smoke that I'm kind of nervous about HAL.

Can I ask which land tour you chose?

Thanks!

My husband and I reserved a cabin at the end of July on the Disney Wonder, roundtrip Vancouver, for ourselves and our two boys, ages 9 and 12. At the same time, I reserved a similarly sized mini-suite on the Coral Princess, northbound to Whittier. I figured I would decide later. I now have five days to decide on Disney. Disney obviously has a more limited itinerary than the Coral, but my husband figured if the kids are bored at night, we would have better entertainment, and the kids club. We are not Disney Fanatics, but like a good Disney movie now and then.

To give some background, I have been on cruises to Alaska twice, both times on HAL. One time with my parents as a young adult and we went to Denali on a land tour, and the second time with my husband, no land tour, no kids. So my kids have not been to Alaska at all.

My dilemma is that Disney is $3K more than Princess. Am I nuts to do this? My older son is a real nature and bird lover but won't we have enough of that on Disney with the excursions we will take?

To complicate the issue is that my inlaws have now decided they would like to come along. They have not been to Alaska and say this may be their only trip there. I hear there are adults who will only go on Disney.

I'm now re-thinking all of my choices and wondering if we should be doing Princess, a DIY land tour or a Princess tour for a few days after? My husband and I don't want to be away for a ton of time. My inlaws have more time. Seward sounds like a better end destination than Whittier if we want to do a land tour, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for any advice or tips you can give! I have been reading boards all morning.

iMO at 12 year old might not be very impressed with a Disney Cruise. I would also consider Celebrity. They also have facilities for kids, preteens and teens. Save the money and send on a suite or great shore excursions.

Enjoy Alaska. We really did!

IF you are available to do a one way cruise, and can add several days- that results in a lot more "Alaska". Especially with a wildlife priority, your top jackpots are Denali Park and Kenai fjords. On the inside passage- whale watches are 100% successful for humpbacks out of Juneau.

Frankly, add ALL the TIME you can, you really need 5 days- at least, in my opinion. Better is to have a Seward ship- NCL, has an excellent itinerary as well.

NO don't consider any cruise tour with a family- the most costly option seeing the least. :)

IF you have the time to invest- you need at least 2 nights at Denali and the shuttle bus to at least Eielson. In Kenai fjords, out of Seward- you need a boat tour of at least 6 hours on the water, and at least an overnight, another night in Anchorage/Mat Su/Girdwood.

Another suggestion is a stop at Girdwood, trek on the Winner trail, a look at the Portage Glacier Visitor site, Surprise Glacier boat tour out of Whittier- very frequently seeing rafts of sea otters. Mat Su- glacier trekking of Matanuska Glacier- an easy accessible bargain.

iMO at 12 year old might not be very impressed with a Disney Cruise. I would also consider Celebrity. They also have facilities for kids, preteens and teens. Save the money and send on a suite or great shore excursions.

Enjoy Alaska. We really did!

I thought Celebrity was more suited towards adults. It does not include Glacier Bay either, but I do hear people love ISP.

IF you are available to do a one way cruise, and can add several days- that results in a lot more "Alaska". Especially with a wildlife priority, your top jackpots are Denali Park and Kenai fjords. On the inside passage- whale watches are 100% successful for humpbacks out of Juneau.

Frankly, add ALL the TIME you can, you really need 5 days- at least, in my opinion. Better is to have a Seward ship- NCL, has an excellent itinerary as well.

NO don't consider any cruise tour with a family- the most costly option seeing the least. :)

IF you have the time to invest- you need at least 2 nights at Denali and the shuttle bus to at least Eielson. In Kenai fjords, out of Seward- you need a boat tour of at least 6 hours on the water, and at least an overnight, another night in Anchorage/Mat Su/Girdwood.

Another suggestion is a stop at Girdwood, trek on the Winner trail, a look at the Portage Glacier Visitor site, Surprise Glacier boat tour out of Whittier- very frequently seeing rafts of sea otters. Mat Su- glacier trekking of Matanuska Glacier- an easy accessible bargain.

Thank you. I'll look into NCL. People on the forums here seem to indicate that NCL is low-end, but I think their itinerary with GB and Hubbard is a good one. I think Seward would be preferable as a disembarkation port.

Coral Princess has an excellent itinerary and is a great ship! I love the one ways.

I think Disney has one of the weakest schedules in Alaska.

Enjoy your cruise! Your kids will be fine on whatever ship you choose.

Edited by Coral

Thank you. I'll look into NCL. People on the forums here seem to indicate that NCL is low-end, but I think their itinerary with GB and Hubbard is a good one. I think Seward would be preferable as a disembarkation port.

I find far more similarities between cruise lines than differences. It's "interesting', the "ranks", people claim, when their experience is once, or once/year. There are going to be 51 other opinions each of the other weeks. :)

I've sailed all the major cruise lines in Alaska with the exception of Disney (did one trip in the Caribbean). People have their cruise line preferences, if not the major priority, in Alaska the itinerary can offer a lot of choices. I go to Alaska for what is outside the ship. The ship is no more, than meals, lodging and transportation for me. It's important people KNOW themselves, and not think, there is only one choice they "should" do.

To clarify... does the Coral price include the plane ride up to Whittier to begin/end your journey?

Disney is round trip and does not need a plane ride.

As mentioned earlier.... land tour opportunities at Whittier can also add to the Corel price.

Also.... are you photo junkies.... Princess pictures can add up.

Personally, with the added people..... I think Corel offers more opportunity than snorting all that pixie dust.

Edited by xlxo

We will sail Celebrity, Holland America and Princess. Will not sail NCL again. While this may not mean much to Budget Queen -- we though the free food was awful and we really don't like having to pay for food on a cruise. Food is part of our cruise enjoyment and experience. NCL does not compare well compared to Celebrity, Holland America and Princess as far as included items. We can eat on Celebrity, Holland America and Princess with out having to pay extra and we feel satisfied. And while all the cruise lines are charging more for everything NCL is a head of the pack. Think twice before picking NCL. Read some reviews of NCL cruises. We are not impressed with Celebrity's itinerary so we do not sail that line in Alaska. Our cruise on the Coral Princess was great. Great itinerary. I agree with you not to pay the Disney premium on the cruise.

Edited by Casey12

What did they like about the kids club on HAL?

I can't comment on Alaska (first cruise there yet to happen) but I will say my DS who is 11 loves Club HAL. They have great staff and a nice mix of activities. He loves it so much he ditches us whenever it is open! I am actually worried he will not see any scenery in Alaska when we are not in port because he will be so busy playing ;)

DH and I like HAL a lot - staff is excellent, food excellent, and we prefer the more grown up feel of the ship to more party oriented cruise lines.

Coral Princess has an excellent itinerary and is a great ship! I love the one ways.

I think Disney has one of the weakest schedules in Alaska.

Enjoy your cruise! Your kids will be fine on whatever ship you choose.

Did you do a north or southbound Coral? Any touring before or after?