Onboard expenses!

I have my first NCL cruise coming up in April and I just have a quick question for those who have cruised with them before. They ask for a credit card, debit card, or cash to link to your room card/key for on board charges.

If I put a credit card down, do I have to pay my final bill with that or can I use my debit card or cash? I really don't want to use a credit card to pay everything, but also don't want to link my debit card and have a huge hold placed on it.

You can go to guest services at any time and pay money off your onboard account using a different method whenever you like.

I'd still me careful if using a debit card. I've never done this, but I wonder whether there may be the possibility of them thinking you want to continue using it, so placing a hold.

Edited by KeithJenner

Norwegian even states on their FAQ that they do not recommend use of a debit card. Go to their website and search debit card. Sorry, would copy it here but balky computer.

Yeah I read that but that's for the initial, "where do you want to charge." I was wondering if I can say I want to use my credit card but at the end of the trip actually go to the desk and use my debit card to pay it all off.

You can definitely put down cash as you go. I would worry about the debit card as they might put the hold anyway - I had a problem on my first cruise but I had put it down to hold all expenses.

Do you get credit card points? Keep the charges on your credit card then use your debit card to pay the balance on your credit card as soon as you get home.

If you don't want to put too much on your credit card you can buy onboard credit for your account say with your debit card pre trip and your credit card would just be charged the difference at the end of the trip.

I would err on the side that assures you'll spend over the OBC amount. I wouldn't want to be bothered with trying to spend it or waiting for a credit at the end.

I didn't buy OBC, but I did pre purchase or pay for things to lower the credit card hit at the end. I just prefer not to have much of a post vacation bill. I paid daily service charge, bought a spa pass pre cruise. I didn't pre buy excursions, but those can be done as well.

I knew I would buy some future cruise credits, so I budgeted my post cruise bill to handle those and excursions as the primary expenses. A photo package was a significant unplanned expense. We did some fun bargain shopping onboard too, so give yourself enough flex to enjoy your trip with the credit card.

Just off the breakaway this past weekend and since I had paid gratuities and spa in advance and had shore excursions credits, I only put down100 to start, no debit or credit card and had no issues. I ended up adding to it mid week but just to cover my excursions until the OBC kicked in. It was simple and at the end of the cruise I got my remaining cash back the night before we got home .

Yeah I read that but that's for the initial, "where do you want to charge." I was wondering if I can say I want to use my credit card but at the end of the trip actually go to the desk and use my debit card to pay it all off.

Yes. Give them a credit card when you check in & the last night, or morning, go to Guest Services and give them your debit card. They'll authorize the full balance due and then submit it to your bank for payment.

NOTHING is charged to anything until the cruise is over. You can go to the customer service desk on the last evening (or earlier, preferably), and pay it in cash, give them another card, whatever you want.

Nothing is charged, but they will put a hold or holds on your card - credit or debit. For credit cards, this can affect the amount of your credit line left. I've had almost two times my onboard charges on my credit card for a couple of days after returning, because they've charged my card the final amount due, but the holds have not fallen off. For debit cards, it blocks the use of your funds until the hold is released, which is really bad, since it means the money is locked up. The time it takes for a hold to be released depends on the bank.

Use a credit card on checkin, and then give them your debit card before you leave. I've done it - it works fine.

They will put authorizations (holds) on your credit card throughout the cruise as your bill grows. Those authorizations remain on your card based on your bank's policy (not NCL).

You need to settle your account the night before arriving at your disembarkation port. During the final night, NCL will bill your credit card - no one leaves the ship with an outstanding balance. You can go to guest services to settle and close your account.

You can definitely put down cash as you go. I would worry about the debit card as they might put the hold anyway - I had a problem on my first cruise but I had put it down to hold all expenses.

Do you get credit card points? Keep the charges on your credit card then use your debit card to pay the balance on your credit card as soon as you get home.

This is our chosen method. Get the points and pay off when home. You've then got the cover/insurance a credit card provides.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I did exactly this on my last cruise. Every day or two I went to the CS desk and paid the balance down to $0 using my debit card. They do not put holds on in that instance. You are simply making a one time payment. You already established your account with the CC.

I did exactly this on my last cruise. Every day or two I went to the CS desk and paid the balance down to $0 using my debit card. They do not put holds on in that instance. You are simply making a one time payment. You already established your account with the CC.

Just to clarify what my point was regarding this.

They should take the debit card as one off payments and in that case there will be no hold.

However, if you are doing this then be careful to ensure that they understand what you want. If they misunderstand and think that you actually want to change your payment method then you will get a hold on your card.

I know from experience how tricky it can sometimes be to ensure they have understood you properly.

Nothing tricky about it at all. Walk up to the desk. Tell them you want to make a payment towards your on board account, hand them the card and tell them how much you want to pay. The only tricky part would be for some people) is to speak English that someone else can understand! :D

Seriously y'all are making this out to be WAY more difficult than it is.