Wonderful Copenhagen 2016 edition

OOPS copied this from the map. We are staying at the Radisson Blu Royal. They said it was close to the Garden so I wanted to be in that area. I like fireworks :). My husband not so much would rather sleep, but now he will be up and out with me, he can sleep in on Sunday morning while I go to the coffee shop I copied down across from the hotel.

Was hoping to walk to the river cruise but will take a taxi if to far.

I happen to know where the Blu Royal is because it's the closest stop for the hop on hop off bus to my hotel. Just last night I was reading about the two boat tours that are free with the travel card. The closest one to us (and you) boards at Gammel Strand, which looks to be no more than a half mile walk, I think, from your hotel. Note, if you are using the travel card to board for either of the two companies that accept it, they proscribe particular spots where you can do so.

Two Questions:

1. Google Maps says it's a 7-minute walk, from The Square Hotel, near City Square (Rådhuspladsen) to the National Museum. Is Google about right on walk times?

2. Hotel to Airport: We plan to catch a _5:20 AM_ train from Central Station (per Rejseplanen) - leaving the hotel at 5AM. But it seems I'll need to use a kiosk to buy tickets as the DSB office is closed at that hour. I'm thinking that I should spring for a city pass the day before since its good for 24 hours (not just one) to avoid last-minute credit card issues. Any thoughts on that?

=TIA=

If you think the money is well spend I think its worth it.

The trip to the airport is 36 kroner and a single bus trip is 24 kroner so there you already used 60 kroner, add another bus trip and you are at 84 kroner and then its money in the bank after that. :D

The walking distance seem correct to me, add a few minutes if you are walking at a slower pace.

Edited by Danish viking

I happen to know where the Blu Royal is because it's the closest stop for the hop on hop off bus to my hotel. Just last night I was reading about the two boat tours that are free with the travel card. The closest one to us (and you) boards at Gammel Strand, which looks to be no more than a half mile walk, I think, from your hotel. Note, if you are using the travel card to board for either of the two companies that accept it, they proscribe particular spots where you can do so.

Very doable for us if this is Netto it appears to be down the street from the TG. Getting excited to see more of Copenhagen. We did all the Palace tours last time so staying close to hotel area this trip.

We will be arriving in Oceankaj on May 1 and our flight out of Copenhagen is at 10:40 am. After doing some research, it appears that taking the bus to Osterport then the train to the airport is not doable. Taking first bus then the train will get us to airport after 9:00 am. Am thinking of taking a taxi to Osterport then the train to the airport. Does that sound right? Thanks.

i! We'll (both in our late 60's) be in Copenhagen for 3 overnights in early June which basically gives us two full days (thus maybe the 48 hour HOHO tour) plus the first afternoon/evening after long plane trip and the morning before embarking on the Princess cruise. Not being intrepid travelers, I'm thinking maybe the 48-hour HOHO is the best way to go. The hotel told me there's a stop about five minutes walk away at the train station. For the amount of time we'd have, any idea if it's worth it also to also buy the Copenhagen pass for those two full days or just pay as we go? We have Rick Steve's book on Copenhagen but I'm not sure that it alone would get us everywhere in a somewhat efficient way. I'd love to hear from anyone else who has done a similar time. This will be our first and possibly only time to see Copenhagen. Oh, I have read about the "free walking tours" but if we're paying for HOHO, that kind of seems like we'd be wasting our HOHO time. Also, is the canal cruise worth doing along with the HOHO and anyone know the cost? Next, the HOHO costs about $37 for the 48 hours when bought on line but our hotel wrote that we can book both HOHO and canal cruise (same company) once we get there--but would it be the same price? If you can answer any of the above of my rambling questions or provide other suggestions, they would be appreciated. Oh, also, in anyone's experience, is it better to bring raincoats for Copenhagen/Baltic or carry small umbrellas?

i! We'll (both in our late 60's) be in Copenhagen for 3 overnights in early June which basically gives us two full days (thus maybe the 48 hour HOHO tour) plus the first afternoon/evening after long plane trip and the morning before embarking on the Princess cruise. Not being intrepid travelers, I'm thinking maybe the 48-hour HOHO is the best way to go. The hotel told me there's a stop about five minutes walk away at the train station. For the amount of time we'd have, any idea if it's worth it also to also buy the Copenhagen pass for those two full days or just pay as we go? We have Rick Steve's book on Copenhagen but I'm not sure that it alone would get us everywhere in a somewhat efficient way. I'd love to hear from anyone else who has done a similar time. This will be our first and possibly only time to see Copenhagen. Oh, I have read about the "free walking tours" but if we're paying for HOHO, that kind of seems like we'd be wasting our HOHO time. Also, is the canal cruise worth doing along with the HOHO and anyone know the cost? Next, the HOHO costs about $37 for the 48 hours when bought on line but our hotel wrote that we can book both HOHO and canal cruise (same company) once we get there--but would it be the same price? If you can answer any of the above of my rambling questions or provide other suggestions, they would be appreciated. Oh, also, in anyone's experience, is it better to bring raincoats for Copenhagen/Baltic or carry small umbrellas?

We were in Copenhagen last summer for 2 days before our cruise and one day at the end of the cruise.

We (early 60's) are walkers so we don't do HO/HO tours. We started our trip by doing the Copenhagen Free Walking Tour which was one of the highlights of our entire trip--our guide was great. We then followed the Rick Steves walking tour in his guidebook because it went places and pointed out things that weren't covered on the free walking tour. (His tour is efficient and will take you to all of the city sights--and more.) We did not do a canal boat ride or go to Tivoli since we had done that on a previous trip to Copenhagen years before. But, you would certainly have time for either or both with the amount of time you have in the city. Netto charges less for their canal tour--only 40 DKK as opposed to 80 DKK charged by Stromma (same 1 hour tour).

We took waterproof jackets--not full raincoats or umbrellas--for our cruise. They were perfect for our mid-July weather. They were not as heavy or as bulky as raincoats and we did not have to carry them like umbrellas (which can be problematic for some buildings unless they fit inside your purse).

Sorry I missed this one.

You simply just take the metro from Forum to Christianshavn and here change for bus 9A towards Operaen and get off at Arsenaløen.

Major attraction near Street Food is the opera, hvor frelser kirke (church of our saviour) and the free town Christiania.

Hi Danish Viking

Everytime I access Rejseplanen, it always tells me to take a bus. Is there anyway that I just want to take the metro and just walk to the destination I want to go? is it really a long walk. I am used to NY subway that you walk most of the time.

For example: From my hotel Cabinn Scandinavia to Rosenborg Castle or from my Hotel to Central station across from Tivoli

We will be arriving in Oceankaj on May 1 and our flight out of Copenhagen is at 10:40 am. After doing some research, it appears that taking the bus to Osterport then the train to the airport is not doable. Taking first bus then the train will get us to airport after 9:00 am. Am thinking of taking a taxi to Osterport then the train to the airport. Does that sound right? Thanks.

Yes taxi to Østerport or taxi to Nørreport where you also can take the metro.

Hi Danish Viking

Everytime I access Rejseplanen, it always tells me to take a bus. Is there anyway that I just want to take the metro and just walk to the destination I want to go? is it really a long walk. I am used to NY subway that you walk most of the time.

For example: From my hotel Cabinn Scandinavia to Rosenborg Castle or from my Hotel to Central station across from Tivoli

To Rosenborg you simply just take the metro from Forum one stop to Nørreport, Rosenborg is 5-10 minutes on foot from there.

To the central station is easier to take bus 250S towards Bella Center or 2A towards Kastrup from Forum station.

You can also change train at Nørreport but it takes longer.

Just my 2 cents

The Copenhagen Card gives you free transportation so then you can use the busses for Ho/Ho + the public busses covers more ground than the tourist busses.

You will have a free canal tour (well 2 if you use both companies) and free access to Tivoli and all the other attractions.

I think that the bus tours costs the same online as on the bus but I´m guessing having the ticket on hand is more convenient.

To Rosenborg you simply just take the metro from Forum one stop to Nørreport, Rosenborg is 5-10 minutes on foot from there.

To the central station is easier to take bus 250S towards Bella Center or 2A towards Kastrup from Forum station.

You can also change train at Nørreport but it takes longer.

Thanks - rejseplen does not show any walking. It shows a lot of bus transfers.

I trust you better!

Thanks again!

Just my 2 cents

The Copenhagen Card gives you free transportation so then you can use the busses for Ho/Ho + the public busses covers more ground than the tourist busses.

You will have a free canal tour (well 2 if you use both companies) and free access to Tivoli and all the other attractions.

I think that the bus tours costs the same online as on the bus but I´m guessing having the ticket on hand is more convenient.

Is the Hoho Bus tour part of the Copenhagen card?

Hi Danish Viking,

Sorry but I need some clarification. I've read your earlier posts and looked at your directions and photos regarding the transit options to the cruise terminal, Oceankaj.

I am planning to take bus #26 from a bus stop near our hotel (Wake up Borgergrade) and taking the cruise bus # 25. My question is this... I get off at Osterport Station (not Osterport St, Slojfen) to catch the 25 bus....but at which point should I be following your photos? or are your photos to help those travelling to bus #27 and those coming form Norreport?

Thanks for any insight! Much appreciated!

Louise

You simply just get off the bus and wait for bus 25 to arrive, they use the very same bus stop.

If you miss the bus stop you can just take bus 27 from Østerport st. Sløjfen.

27 gets you to the same bus stop at Oceankaj but it takes a little detourI have around 10 bus stops on the way so it arrives about 7-10 minutes later.

We have two full days in Copenhagen before we board our ship, and have never been there before. The things we're interested in doing are taking one or two walking tours, Tivoli Gardens, and touring the canals.

Is the Copenhagen Card worth buying? We need to get from the airport to the central station (we're staying at the CabInn City). I see that we can take a train to the central station and walk to our hotel. Also admission to Tivoli Gardens. And a canal tour....

Are there "rent your own" canal boats, or should we take the public transport tours?

We're not big on museums and will enjoy walking around and discovering things for a couple of days.

Any advice is appreciated!

To see whether a Copenhagen Card is a good deal, you just need to add up your expected costs and compare it to the price of the card.

Based on your stated activities which would be covered by the card--your transportation to the hotel (36 DKK), a canal boat ride (40 - 80 DKK, depending on which company you use) and admission to Tivoli Gardens (110 DKK)--the price of the card (379 DKK for 24 hours) certainly isn't a cost-effective choice.

Hello Danish Viking, while in Copenhagen, we would like to visit Bornholm. My ancestors immigrated from this island. Do you have any advice ? We have looked at the Bornholmerbussen site. We would travel roundtrip on the same day and would rent a car for the day. Thank you

Hi Danish Viking,Sorry but I need some clarification. I've read your earlier posts and looked at your directions and photos regarding the transit options to the cruise terminal, Oceankaj.I am planning to take bus #26 from a bus stop near our hotel (Wake up Borgergrade) and taking the cruise bus # 25. My question is this... I get off at Osterport Station (not Osterport St, Slojfen) to catch the 25 bus....but at which point should I be following your photos? or are your photos to help those travelling to bus #27 and those coming form Norreport?Thanks for any insight! Much appreciated!Louise

Inmyfootsteps, we are planning the same bus ride from the Wake Up to Oceankaj. Perhaps we can hook up? What date are you travelling...?

We have two full days in Copenhagen before we board our ship, and have never been there before. The things we're interested in doing are taking one or two walking tours, Tivoli Gardens, and touring the canals.

Is the Copenhagen Card worth buying? We need to get from the airport to the central station (we're staying at the CabInn City). I see that we can take a train to the central station and walk to our hotel. Also admission to Tivoli Gardens. And a canal tour....

Are there "rent your own" canal boats, or should we take the public transport tours?

We're not big on museums and will enjoy walking around and discovering things for a couple of days.

Any advice is appreciated!

GradUT gave some good advice so I only have very few things to add.

Copenhagen Card has a calculator on the website so yoy can see how much the things you want to see cost´s.

Just a small note. In this calculator they use the price for the 24 hour transportation card that cost 130 kroner but in reality you only need the city pass that costs 80 Kroner for the same 24 hours but only in zone 1 to 4. (without the suburbs but with the airport)

http://www.copenhagencard.com/

There are no such thing as "public transport tours", perhaps you think about the harbour busses but they are not the same as the canal tours.

But it is possible to book a private tour with either Stromma´s canal tours or Netto Bådene but it´s expensive.

Hello Danish Viking, while in Copenhagen, we would like to visit Bornholm. My ancestors immigrated from this island. Do you have any advice ? We have looked at the Bornholmerbussen site. We would travel roundtrip on the same day and would rent a car for the day. Thank you

The airline Bornholmerflyet can offer som very reasonable prices if you want to save some hours on transportation.

https://bornholmerflyet.dk/?gclid=CI3XkLa1m8wCFcv7cgod2J8LEQ

Or else the train to Ystad and ferry (included in the ticket) is a more comfortable option.

http://www.dsb.dk/*****-dsb/in-english/

Remember to have some photo ID with you if you take the bus or train as the swedes has put up a temporary border control because of the problems with the immigration from Syria etc

I can´t remember the rules on domestic flights so that you have to check with the airline.

GradUT gave some good advice so I only have very few things to add.

Copenhagen Card has a calculator on the website so yoy can see how much the things you want to see cost´s.

Just a small note. In this calculator they use the price for the 24 hour transportation card that cost 130 kroner but in reality you only need the city pass that costs 80 Kroner for the same 24 hours but only in zone 1 to 4. (without the suburbs but with the airport)

http://www.copenhagencard.com/

There are no such thing as "public transport tours", perhaps you think about the harbour busses but they are not the same as the canal tours.

But it is possible to book a private tour with either Stromma´s canal tours or Netto Bådene but it´s expensive.

Hi Danish Viking

Can I have the website for the 24 hour city bus? I just want to compare the Copenhagen card with that. Also when you say Zone 1 - 4 is that most of the city and where the attractions are located?

All the zones are here.

http://www.dinoffentligetransport.dk/media/2057/zonetavler-h-samlet-pdf.pdf

Lufthavnen means airport and is in zone 4.

The cruiseport is in zone 1 where it says Østerbro.

City, well that explains itself.

I was talking about the 24 hour City Pass, not bus. but there are night busses if you need info about that one.

City Pass cost 80 kroners and covers zone 1, 2, 3 and 4 in 24 hours, there is also a 72 hour version for 200 kroner.

If you are going to Kronborg Castle (Hamlet), Frederiksborg Palace, The Viking Ship Museum, OPen Air Museum, Louisiana arts museum, etc you either need the Copenhagen Card or the 24 hour transportation card.

Copenhagen Card gives you free entrance to most places + free transportation in all zones.

24 hour for 379 kroner

48 hour for 529 kroner

72 hour for 629 kroner

120 hour for 839 kroner

24 hour ticket costs 130 kroner but gives only transportation but in all zones.

There is info about the City Pass, 24 hour tickets, timetable for busses, metro and trains in english on this website.

http://www.dinoffentligetransport.dk/service/for-tourists/

Edited by Danish viking

All the zones are here.

http://www.dinoffentligetransport.dk/media/2057/zonetavler-h-samlet-pdf.pdf

Lufthavnen means airport and is in zone 4.

The cruiseport is in zone 1 where it says Østerbro.

City, well that explains itself.

I was talking about the 24 hour City Pass, not bus. but there are night busses if you need info about that one.

City Pass cost 80 kroners and covers zone 1, 2, 3 and 4 in 24 hours, there is also a 72 hour version for 200 kroner.

If you are going to Kronborg Castle (Hamlet), Frederiksborg Palace, The Viking Ship Museum, OPen Air Museum, Louisiana arts museum, etc you either need the Copenhagen Card or the 24 hour transportation card.

Copenhagen Card gives you free entrance to most places + free transportation in all zones.

24 hour for 379 kroner

48 hour for 529 kroner

72 hour for 629 kroner

120 hour for 839 kroner

24 hour ticket costs 130 kroner but gives only transportation but in all zones.

There is info about the City Pass, 24 hour tickets, timetable for busses, metro and trains in english on this website.

http://www.dinoffentligetransport.dk/service/for-tourists/

Thank You Danish Viking and congratulation to the new addition of the Royal Family.