Wonderful Copenhagen 2016 edition

No its first come first served but I found this news item on the ports website.

But I´m sure that they will get you a taxi if none is ready.

http://www.cmport.dk/en/news-and-media/news/2016/2016-05-13

Hi Danish Viking

We are a big group - 13 in our party. Think its better if we reserve a limo service to pick us up from our hotel to the port?

coming back, we will be a party of 6 going straight to the airport. Think if we reserve a limo from the port to the airport would come out cheaper?

With 13 people I think its best and cheaper to book a mini bus.

I will provide you with a few links for some bus companies maybe tomorrow and then you can get a price directly from them.

And no, a Limousine service is very very very very expensive.

Put your faith in that the cruise division at the port and the taxi companies are on top of the situation (it seems like from the link i posted a few post above) or ask the bus company you choose for the other leg for a price.

Just many they have a mini mini bus :-) or can get you a good price for their regular mini bus.

The company we use for going to soccer matches (as supporters) has some Mercedes Sprinter's with around 16-17 seats.

Thank you Danish Viking for all your wonderful info.

We are an older couple (78 & 75) and will be staying near Central station prior to our cruise. We will be taking the train in from the airport upon arrival and will have a 24 hr card. Not too keen about juggling luggage on the bus from city center to the port. If we take the train to Nordhavn station, would we be able to get a taxi to take us the rest of the way to Oceanjak?

If so, what would the taxi fare be and how far is it from there to Oceanjak.

Thanks for your help.

First of all its Oceankaj :-)

When I have been at Nordhavn station I haven't noticed any taxi's but I have off course not looking after any.

My point is that I think you will have a better change of getting one from Østerport instead because its a bigger station with ICE/Eurocity, intercity, Øresund (airport and Sweden bound), commuter and S-trains.

Nordhavn is only a local station with S-trains.

Apologies if this has already been asked! I see there is a hop on hop off boat tour that you can do, generally is this worthwhile? If so does it pick up at all need oceankaj or will we still need to make our way into the city to pick it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hello Danish Viking,

we are in Copenhagen from late afternoon 5th August to August 8th lunchtime, before we board our ship. I'm wondering if its worth getting a 72 hour Copenhagen card or not, I'm quite happy to walk everywhere, (thinking about a taxi to airport and pier)

We would like to see, Tivoli Gardens, city hall, tower, Christianborg Palace, Rosenberg castle, Amalienborg Museum as well as a harbour cruise. we are booked in for a free walking tour of Christianshaun area and I will be using the Rick Stevens walking tour. Is there anything else That I have missed?

Cheers Sarah

First of all Danish Viking, thanks for being such a wonderful resource to all of us on Cruise Critic.

We will be arriving in Copenhagen on Tuesday, Aug 9th and will board the RCI Serenade of the Seas on Saturday at Oceankaj. We will be staying at the Marriott and I will probably just take a taxi from the airport to the hotel and hotel to the cruise ship. We will have Wed, Thur and Fri to explore Copenhagen.

I'm thinking of purchasing the Copenhagen Card because it will get us in the places we want to visit and make it easy to hop on hop off the local transportation. I love to walk, but my wife will appreciate the buses. Two questions:

1) can you give me an estimate on taxi fare from the airport to the Marriott hotel?

2) Anything I should know about the area around the Marriott and the best transportation options for getting places?

Thanks so much for all the resources you have provided us.

I'll continue to watch for your recommendations.

Edited by balanceok

Hello Danish Viking,

we are in Copenhagen from late afternoon 5th August to August 8th lunchtime, before we board our ship. I'm wondering if its worth getting a 72 hour Copenhagen card or not, I'm quite happy to walk everywhere, (thinking about a taxi to airport and pier)

We would like to see, Tivoli Gardens, city hall, tower, Christianborg Palace, Rosenberg castle, Amalienborg Museum as well as a harbour cruise. we are booked in for a free walking tour of Christianshaun area and I will be using the Rick Stevens walking tour. Is there anything else That I have missed?

Cheers Sarah

You missed Visit Carlsberg, nothing much to see, but you enjoy a couple of free beers if you have the Copenhagen Card. Don't get the beer at the courtyard, they serve beer in tiny plastic cups. Instead, get the beer in any of the bars and enjoy the beer in real glass, it is bigger sized too.

Also try using public transit to the port since is free with the Card, it is very easy. Taxi, or everything as matter of fact, in Copenhagen is very expensive.

Danish Viking or any other person,

Do I need to carry the local currency or do they readily accept Euros and US $ ? My travel agent said that it is not necessary to carry local currency. How true is that ? I would need to buy bus and metro fares, some snacks and food. I do not plan to access any ATM machines.

Any insight would be helpful

Thanks

Do I need to carry the local currency or do they readily accept Euros and US $ ? My travel agent said that it is not necessary to carry local currency. How true is that ? I would need to buy bus and metro fares, some snacks and food. I do not plan to access any ATM machines.

Thanks

Here's the word from the Visit Copenhagen tourism website:

"You will find that some shops, hotels and restaurants, particularly in the larger cities, will display prices in both Danish kroner and Euros and many are likely to accept payment in Euros. However, as the official currency is Danish kroner no establishment is oblighed to accept payment in any other currency. It is advisable to check prior to making a purchase, or having a meal, if you wish to pay in anything other than Danish kroner."

There were a few shops/restaurants that I came across during my 3 days in Copenhagen that displayed prices in Euros, but most did not. The Danish kroner is the official currency in the country--you should have it for food, transportation and attractions. If you aren't willing to use ATMs (which are all over the city), you will need to go the the trouble and expense of buying kroner before you leave home.

Thanks

I always use the analogy - if I caught a cab in New York or your home city and tried to pay in Aust $, would the driver be happy? Get a small amount from your bank, or from purser's desk, or ATM. Extra cost of conversion etc is minimal compared to cost of cruise and travel to get there. It's a courtesy to use the currency for that particular country. I have six envelopes of varying currencies ready for my cruise next week.

Thanks

Not using ATM's needlessly complicates any foreign travel

If you insist on that flawed strategy, you can always use the "rip-off" airport money exchanges

Srpilo

Danish Viking or anyone else that can help...

We are on Celebrity Silhouette...will be in Copenhagen June 28 at noon and leaving the next day at 3pm on the 29th.

If we want to take a HoHo boat tour for that first day, how do we get to it from the pier?

If we decide instead to take a Free Copenhagen Walking Tour (starts at 3pm), how do we get from the pier to the City Hall where it starts?

At night, after Tivoli, is a taxi the best way to get back to the ship?

Thanks.

Danish Viking or anyone else that can help...

We are on Celebrity Silhouette...will be in Copenhagen June 28 at noon and leaving the next day at 3pm on the 29th.

If we want to take a HoHo boat tour for that first day, how do we get to it from the pier?

If we decide instead to take a Free Copenhagen Walking Tour (starts at 3pm), how do we get from the pier to the City Hall where it starts?

At night, after Tivoli, is a taxi the best way to get back to the ship?

Thanks.

1) You can walk from Langeliniekaj via Kastellet fortress and the little mermaid to Nyhavn where the boats starts.

Or take bus 26 from Indiakaj bus stop just at the bottom of Langeliniekaj Pier to Kongens Nytorv that are located next to Nyhavn.

2) continue on the bus and get off at Rådhuspladsen (town hall square) instead.

3) Just take bus 26 back from Tivoli using the the same bus stop as you get off for the walking tour (but just in the opposide direction)

Hi Danish Viking

We are a big group - 13 in our party. Think its better if we reserve a limo service to pick us up from our hotel to the port?

coming back, we will be a party of 6 going straight to the airport. Think if we reserve a limo from the port to the airport would come out cheaper?

As promised, here is a few links for some mini busses.

Larsen Bus has 9 and 18 seat busses.

http://larsenbus.dk/busserne/minibusser.aspx

Egons also have mini busses

http://egons.dk/index.php?id=208

Lyngby Turistfart

http://www.lyngbyturistfart.dk/contact-us.html

Herfølge Turistfart

http://www.herfoelge-turistfart.dk/index.php/en/

Strøby Turist is the company we use for our trips to soccer games.

http://stroebyturist.dk/

Apologies if this has already been asked! I see there is a hop on hop off boat tour that you can do, generally is this worthwhile? If so does it pick up at all need oceankaj or will we still need to make our way into the city to pick it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The boats departs from Nyhavn (both) and Gammel Strand (Stromma) and Holmens Kirke (Netto Bådene)

I think its a nice trip but if its worthwhile its up to you :-)

Edited by Danish viking

Hello Danish Viking,

Cheers Sarah

Have you used the calculator on Copenhagen Cards website?, its the best way to see if its worth it.

Have you considered a trip to the places and castles of northern Zealand.

Frederiksborg and Fredensborg Palaces and Kronborg Castles (Hamlets castle) can be done by train in one day.

First of all Danish Viking, thanks for being such a wonderful resource to all of us on Cruise Critic.

We will be arriving in Copenhagen on Tuesday, Aug 9th and will board the RCI Serenade of the Seas on Saturday at Oceankaj. We will be staying at the Marriott and I will probably just take a taxi from the airport to the hotel and hotel to the cruise ship. We will have Wed, Thur and Fri to explore Copenhagen.

I'm thinking of purchasing the Copenhagen Card because it will get us in the places we want to visit and make it easy to hop on hop off the local transportation. I love to walk, but my wife will appreciate the buses. Two questions:

1) can you give me an estimate on taxi fare from the airport to the Marriott hotel?

2) Anything I should know about the area around the Marriott and the best transportation options for getting places?

Thanks so much for all the resources you have provided us.

I'll continue to watch for your recommendations.

1) Around 250 kroner

2) The only busses from near your hotel is bus 250S and 5A from Otto Mønsteds Plads but they are only good for transport to and from the central station and Bella Center and the Airport.

Danish Viking, I'm still reading this thread as I just found it. Before I get so buried in the thread and the links (the DOT was exactly what I was looking for), I want to express great appreciation for all the info you have provided. You are also very patient and kind to offer repeat info when requested. Nothing I've come across yet (I confess limited usage) has been as openly inviting and as kindly informative as your posts.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

It states on the marriott website that it is 220 kroner to their hotel

1) Around 250 kroner

2) The only busses from near your hotel is bus 250S and 5A from Otto Mønsteds Plads but they are only good for transport to and from the central station and Bella Center and the Airport.

Danish Viking we will be in Copenhagen the end of August and we will be at the Scandic PalCe 4 days before our cruise. My wife is handicap and we have been trying to find a place to rent a mobility scooter with no luck. Could you email us any information or email is gnatsis at sbcglobal dot net. Thanks in advance

George