Questions about the Summit and Bermuda

Aruba76

We have never sailed on the Summit and are curious as to how it compares to the Solstice ships as we are trying to decide whether or not to book a Bermuda cruise. On our last few cruises we were in an S1 - on Solstice ships those are the corner aft cabins, and we are trying to get a feel for the S1 on the Summit. Does anyone have any experience in one and can tell us what they are like? They are right next to the elevators and we are wondering if that can be noisy at times. We are also considering a Celebrity Suite and are wondering if those have a problem with noise as well since they are right across from the elevators. Also, we have never been to Bermuda and are wondering if there is a lot to do if we don't want to spend all our time at the beach. Thank you for any insight you can give us.

Well, I love Summit, but I'll let others help you with the cabin selection. But, there's TONS of stuff to do in Bermuda. We've been there twice on Summit, and feel that we've hardly scratched the surface. :cool:

You might want to start your search here, on the Bermuda Ports of Call Board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

We love the Summit also, and Bermuda! We will be spending our sixth week on her in May...going to Bermuda for the third time! There is so much to do in Bermuda, and you really spend a lot less time on the ship since there are three days where the ship is docked and the gangway is open for 24 hours a day.

We were recently in a Summit S1 and loved it. It was 6130 and very convenient to the aft elevators, but absolutely no associated noise. The suite is a good bit larger than the concierge cabins (which on M-class ships are about 20 square feet larger than regular balcony cabins). We found it very comfortable with more than enough storage. Can't compare it to an S-class S1 since we haven't been in one of those, but we've sailed S-class twice and prefer the size and intimacy of the M-class ships. We see S-class as being generally more modern, while M-class is more classic. Also, S-class lacks an aft elevator section, which we think makes the vertical movement an issue. The Summit was in great shape in February, and then went into dry dock for two weeks after we disembarked, so it can only be better now. We'll be in an S1 on the Summit again (our fourth time) in May for our first trip to Bermuda. Really looking forward to being back aboard.

I don't know if 6145/46 are S1's but they are touted to be the best of the S1's. They are however connected to the suites so there could be some very minor noise issues. The fittings in these two cabins mirror the deluxe interior of the neighboring suites. 6132/33 are great with huge balconies that are more open to the elements. Hallway noise is very minimal on 6 and by the time you reach 6145/46 it's eerily quiet.

The CS's are not right across from the elevators. On each deck there is either a library, a spa or an internet cafe between the cabin and the elevators.

I don't know if you know the history of the CS's on the M class ships. Originally they had floor to ceiling windows and during refits balconies were added. They are more than adequate but not expansive. And as a side note the windows remain and privacy is still an issue, or would be to me. There are definitely times to keep the drapes drawn!!!!!

The Summit was fine when we were on her in December and no doubt benefitted from the dry dock.

DH and I have sailed numerous times in Celebrity Suites on the Summit and have not heard any noise from the elevators, which are not as close as you would think. We have sailed in 7138, 7140, and 8106 and have not experienced any negatives in any of them. We have a preference for the aft rather than the forward cabins on any deck, but that is personal preference. Some people prefer to face forward. If you sail in any one of them, I'm sure you'll enjoy your experience.

Another Summit lover here!

We are booked for our 3rd cruise to Bermuda on her this August.

I am in the camp of liking smaller ships as compared to some that carry close to 4000 passengers and the Summit fits that bill for me. The crew has always been fantastic, the dining venues are lovely and I just enjoy the whole ambiance of this ship.

As far as cabins go, I have sailed only in a RS and this time out we have the PH, so I don't know about noise issues closer to the elevators.

Friends of ours sailed with us on one trip and stayed in S1 6126 and loved the cabin and location.

Bermuda is a gem of an island, so friendly and clean.

There is plenty to do there in the 3 days in port.

Horseshoe Bay is a popular destination and just gorgeous, so you must make time for that.

You can hire a certified tour guide and tour the island, it's quite beautiful and there is plenty to see.

Wednesday nights is Harbour night in Hamilton, take the ferry over and shop, enjoy music and food.

Many water sport excursions to choose from.

Dolphin experience a short walk away from the ship.

I don't think you'd be sorry if you booked a cruise on the Summit!

Thank you for all your responses. You helped us make the decision and we just booked a CS for the June 19th sailing. Your responses have made me very excited to celebrate my birthday on the Summit.

Also, we have never been to Bermuda and are wondering if there is a lot to do if we don't want to spend all our time at the beach. Thank you for any insight you can give us.

Here's a suggestion for one beachless day: Take a morning ferry over to St George. Wander around St George, take in the Dunking, then take a bus to the Caves. Do both Cave trips, then reboard the bus to Hamilton. If it's Wed and Harbor Nights is on, take that in, then ferry back to Dockyard.

Thank you for all your responses. You helped us make the decision and we just booked a CS for the June 19th sailing. Your responses have made me very excited to celebrate my birthday on the Summit.

That's wonderful! I think you'll be very happy with your decision and with the 4 perks given for booking a suite, that makes it even better!

Enjoy and let us know how your cruise was!

We are on the May 22nd cruise, and I appreciate suggestions about things to do in Bermuda. While I love the beach, hubby doesn't, so any and all suggestions are welcome. It has been many years since we visited Bermuda, and we stayed in Hamilton so this trip is very different.

Looking forward to a great vacation.

We are on the May 22nd cruise, and I appreciate suggestions about things to do in Bermuda. While I love the beach, hubby doesn't, so any and all suggestions are welcome. It has been many years since we visited Bermuda, and we stayed in Hamilton so this trip is very different.

You can order a brochure from the Bermuda Tourism Authority. Lots of information and maps. Just go to their website and there is a spot to order it. It takes a couple weeks to get it but it is really nice. You'll find lots of ideas of what to do.

We are on the same cruise as you.

Laura

This is the link to the Bermuda board in the Ports of Call message boards here on Cruise Critic.

You can get some ideas of things to do in Bermuda and maybe some of your questions about Bermuda answered.

Enjoy your cruise! Cant wait for August to get here so we'll be boarding!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

Having sailed on the summit multiple times-previously 4 to Bermuda, and will again in August, It is really a very relaxing vacation and nice ship. We have stayed twice in Celebrity Suites and a couple of times in Sky Suites. IMO the best of the Sky suites are 6145 and 6146. They are located next to the Penhouses and have amazing bathrooms- see youtube video. Also the "next best" are 6131 and 6132- they have huge balconies. We have stayed in the Celebrity Suites on deck six and love them. They are very large- a true living and dining room and nice bedroom with a large his and hers closet.

Never bothered by noise in either cabin- especially the Celebrity suites. My only negative comment is that in one of the celebrity suites on 6- the cabin was in need of refurbishing, and that was two years ago- I have heard that when Celebrity goes to dry dock, they will be updating the higher end cabins and that might not included the CS. If you get a good rate- book the CS. If the rate is $1500 more IMO unless it has been redone- stick with a S1.

Enjoy your cruise

We had great fun doing the Segway in Bermuda. However, if it is possible to book and pay with an am ex gift card I suggest doing so. You may also ask if you can pay cash when you arrive. Unfortunately, Celebrity does not offer this tour through their ship, but NCL does. :( We narrowed the fraud down to to the out-sourced TA or the Bermuda tour. :(

Friends we met on board loved the jet ski tour offered through Celebrity. But not great for those with back problems.

The other option is a day pass to one of the hotels. They usually offer lunch, pool and a beautiful beach with chairs/loungers and umbrellas.