ship time vs cayman time

aprilsp88

Hi,

I often read ship time and cayman time are different. Is this true for all cruiseship? How about holland america? Which time is earlier? When tour operator refer to time, do they use cruise time or local time?

Thanks,

April

Depends on the Captain if they change time to local time. Sometimes, they do...sometimes, they don't.

Doesn't really matter. You must go by SHIP'S time, no matter what local time is! Bring a watch, because your cell phone will show local time.

If the time is changed on the ship, you will be informed. Otherwise, make sure your watch is set to the same time as the ship's clocks...there are clocks at every exit!

If you're booking a private tour...tell you operator what time your itinerary shows you arriving..and THEY will adjust...they do this all the time.

Bear in mind that GC is tendered, and that can add extra time to you getting ashore!

Edited by cb at sea

technical answer

Cayman is in the EASTERN time zone

but does NOT observe daylight savings time.

so since most ships departing US and visiting Cayman depart from a port IN the EASTERN time zone, if DST is NOT in effect the time is the same on ship or land. DST in effect ....

Thanks for the reply.

Our ship will be in port from 8AM to 2PM (Veendam Holland America). We want to take the Stingray tour (3 hours). We need to be back by 1PM ship time.

If the ship go with local time, we don't have enough time to make the 8:30 tour as it's a tender port, but we can take the 10AM tour which will return at 1PM (but very tight).

If the ship time is 1 hour earlier than local time, then we should book the 8:30 tour so that we can be back before 12:30 ship time.

So it's really important to find out what time the ship uses.

I checked with 2 tour operators, they give me different answers, one says ship use local time, the other says ship use day light saving time. :(

I called Holland America, the representative says her supervisor says the ship USUALLY use local time, but it's up to the captain.

So I'm quite confused now... Anyone can help?

This can vary by Captain.

Holland usually does use local time though.I would plan this as if they are using local time.

It is Carnival that often does not.

Since this is specific to Holland, I would ask for feedback on the Holland Board.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010