RocketMan's First Holland Cruise.

RocketMan275

"Not a big priority for HAL" sounds about right.

They have had a LOT of time to figure out how to handle this policy. Some ships turn around every WEEK, so, really, what is the problem with having this figured out?

I do think this is partly a ship-to-ship inconsistency. Not once at a Vancouver embarkation since this new policy started have we even seen a "wine deck". When asked, the RedCoats say, "no problem, don't worry about that".

The same thing happened when we boarded in FLL last year - I said at check in that I had wine in my carry on, and they just waived us through. I didn't see a "wine table" anywhere from there on in.

The same thing happened when we boarded in FLL last year - I said at check in that I had wine in my carry on, and they just waived us through. I didn't see a "wine table" anywhere from there on in.

That isn't what happened to me. First, they wanted to confiscate my wine. Then they wanted me to leave it with them until the desk was staffed. Then they told me to leave my name and cabin number and the charge would be billed to my account.

Day two was our anniversary and we celebrated with dinner on the balcony. We did have one of our free bottles for dinner. We arranged room service through the concierge. Food was on time and served hot. When Riza, our room attendant discovered we were having dinner, he insisted we wait on the balcony with our drinks and he would meet the room service attendant and get our food to the balcony.

We loved our cabin, especially the huge deck five aft wrap balcony. Plenty of room and storage. I would hope they do something about the shower. It's too small. We would prefer less bathtub and more shower. We wound up using the shower in the bathtub.

A general note about the wind. Since this was the Eastern, we were sailing generally to the SE. Our cabin (5190) was on the port side which meant it was exposed to the wind for the first five days of the cruise. We experienced 20-30 knot wind everyday. Once we turned back towards FLL, the wind was from the other side of the ship and the wind became a non-issue. Except for the rocking and rolling.

We had dinner in the Pinnacle Grill on the third night and it was really great. We both had the small (7 0z) fillet and the small lobster tail.

San Juan.

We don't do a lot of shore excursions but we did visit the fortress El Moro. We didn't do a planned shore excursion. Thanks to the posters here on CC, I knew there was a better way. We left the ship and turned left. Multiple vendors offered us trips to the fortress and the further we got from the ship, the lower was the price. First, it was $40 for two. Then it was $20. Those prices were just for the ride to the fort and did not include entry. Finally, I spotted the free trolley and we hoped on. It took us directly to the fortress. We toured the fort and returned to the ship. Total cost was $10 to enter the fortress.

That night (day four) was the ship's BBQ. The lido was closed but the MDR was open. They had two serving lines open by the Lido pool. The main entrees were ribs, chicken, and (IIRC) some fish. With the usual side items. We filled our plates and took it back to the balcony.

We visited the MDR once again on the fifth night. To be honest, I didn't enjoy this meal. Food was fine. Waiter was great. But my stomach wasn't happy with the sea motion. That night I stared the bonine and all was better the next day. We had dinner on the balcony on the last two nights.

I've got some more general comments which I will post later.

No table cloth was provided. We did just fine without one.

It is nicer to bring your own tablecloth though. Also, be sure to bring "clips" to hold it down in the wind (which can gust unexpectedly). Get the clips at your local party supplies store.

[QUOrTE=DaveOKC;49411170]It is nicer to bring your own tablecloth though. Also, be sure to bring "clips" to hold it down in the wind (which can gust unexpectedly). Get the clips at your local party supplies store.

99 cent store had them too as I had seen this past weekend.

It is nicer to bring your own tablecloth though. Also, be sure to bring "clips" to hold it down in the wind (which can gust unexpectedly). Get the clips at your local party supplies store.

Personal choice. Tablecloths were suggested to wife who said no need.

Gala Night Attire.

As most of you know, we're not into dressing up so we did not attend Gala nights. I did, about 7PM on the second night, go to the Pinnacle Bar. The Lido bar was closed for cleaning and it was the first one I came too. I ordered a couple of drinks to take back to the cabin. (BTW, we did order drinks for the cabin from room service the first Gala night. Took over an hour to be delivered.) Most of the men I saw were in coat and tie or even suits. Didn't see any one in tuxedos. I was still wearing my shorts as was one other individual and no one seem to notice.

Sandwiches.

Nothing wrong with the sandwiches in the Lido. I had them for lunch several times. Probably my go-to lunch. Just wished there were some potato chips or like.

Wine Tasting.

We did the $45 dollar wine tasting in the Pinnacle drill on the last sea day. It was worth every penny of it. I think they called it the Four Seasons of France or something like that. Two half glasses of campagne, a red and a chardonay, and a sniffer of cognac. Served with appropriate appetizers. The gentleman who hosted the event was charming, amusing, and knowledgeable. Who knew champagne was first called "The Devils Wine" since the bottles exploded a lot.

Debarkation:

We were in line around 645. We had a 14 hour drive in front of us and we didn't want to get caught in long lines. We exited from the starboard side doors by the elevators near the Queens Lounge. By 730, there was quite a line. Some passengers seemed to think that if they arrived at 730, they could go to the front of the line and had to be directed to the end.

When we got to customs, we were maybe 2nd or 3rd in line. There was a GOES line and the only person in it was dealing with the agent. No wait there. Wife took one look and told me to enroll us upon our return.

In the car around 800. We got home around 9 PM. The son had picked up the dogs from the vets and they were waiting for us.

General Comment.

We loved Westy. Right size ship for us. We booked an Oosterdam SA near the Pinnacle lounge for 2017 cancelling a cruise on Regal. Going out of Tampa saves 2.5 hours of drive time. We also bought several FCD. Looks like we'll be doing a lot of Holland.

I know a lot of people have asked why book on board? Here's a reason. We booked Oosterdam through the on-board cruise consultant. I could see her screen during the process. Her screen showed a much larger range of choices than the website.

Questions?

Thanks for all your comments and insights from a new HAL cruiser.

A couple of questions - why did you select a cabin near the Neptune Lounge for your next cruise vs the deck 5 aft-wrap you had on this one. IMO, both are great locations, but I was just wondering why you are changing.

Second, what options could you see on the on-board cruise consultant's screen? Was it just the cabins available or ??

I am glad you liked our favorite line enough to return!

Your Okie friend

DaveOKC

Thanks for all your comments and insights from a new HAL cruiser.

A couple of questions - why did you select a cabin near the Neptune Lounge for your next cruise vs the deck 5 aft-wrap you had on this one. IMO, both are great locations, but I was just wondering why you are changing.

Second, what options could you see on the on-board cruise consultant's screen? Was it just the cabins available or ??

I am glad you liked our favorite line enough to return!

Your Okie friend

DaveOKC

We selected the SA for several reasons. Just to try something different. The wife liked the Neptune lounge. We had a lot of up/down motion in the aft.

Her screen showed all the cabins on Rotterdam deck, whether they were available or not. Currently, the website is only showing four SA available all aft of the mid-ship elevators. IIRC, there were at least six forward of those elevators. Remember, our booking is 12 months out.

Muster Drill.

Our muster station was #16 on the port side. The only grade I could give the muster drill would be a failing one. When we got to the promenade deck, I went to the port side as instructed using the aft stairs. On the port side, there was a sign next to a door. The sign said Muster Station 16 but the door said Crew Only. I asked a crew man walking by if we were to proceed through the door and was told we were to go to the starboard side and proceed forward or aft until we were able to go to the port side and to our muster station. Simply not acceptable procedures.

The drill should be conducted in the way things will be in a real event. If someone is supposed to go through a certain door, then the door should be open for the drill. If someone is supposed to take a roundabout route, then the signage should show that. If there is something behind the door that passengers should not access, then station a crew member there.

Of course, when we went through the door on the starboard side, we exited into Muster Station #15 disrupting that group. Other groups were disrupted as we moved forward. Eventually, we found a pathway to the port side where we had to walk through Muster Station #14 disrupting their muster.

Things deteriorated at the muster station. The crew placed us in a large group which blocked the passage of other passengers coming from the stern trying to find their muster stations. Eventually, we were herded into a compact mass and the drill began. Of course the compact nature of the group meant that those in the back couldn’t see those conducting the drill. There was a large and very noisy vent at muster #16 which prevented anyone from hearing any of the instructions. By my estimate, about 50% of those at that muster station could neither see or hear the muster instructions.

My retired military and I know how to conduct training. That drill could only receive a failing grade.

Perhaps you should have suggested the drill be ran again and again until everyone got it right? After all, that is the way we did it in the Navy :p

We selected the SA for several reasons. Just to try something different. The wife liked the Neptune lounge. We had a lot of up/down motion in the aft.

Her screen showed all the cabins on Rotterdam deck, whether they were available or not. Currently, the website is only showing four SA available all aft of the mid-ship elevators. IIRC, there were at least six forward of those elevators. Remember, our booking is 12 months out.

The motion in those aft cabins definitely can be worse than mid-ship, so we try to avoid them on certain cruises that are more exposed to rough seas.

Interesting that the HAL website only showed 4 cabins when there were clearly more available. Normally I find that the website shows up to 10 cabins. I agree that you want to be forward of the elevators on the Vista class ships. On the S and R class, I like the Neptunes a bit further back - those under the Lido dining area - to avoid pool noises from above.