Prince Rupert/Victoria

Orpheo

Hello,

Haven't read much about Prince Rupert on the Alaska boards. :confused:

Or maybe I haven't searched right. Is Prince Rupert also very exciting? The reviews I've mostly read have Victoria in them.

Any info would be much helpful or where I can find a review or so.

Thanks,

Marie

Prince Rupert is in northern British Columbia and is somewhat off the usual tourist trek route along the coast. The scenery is really beautiful with islands and inlets. The area has long been important for fishing and forestry. I think you have a great itinerary if you are visiting Prince Rupert! Trip Advisor can help you research what to do in the area. It would be a great place for a small boat wildlife excursion or fishing charter.

Unfortunately pasting your own Search results doesn't work for others Keith (and will stop working for you pretty quickly too due to the method used to Search on CC).

Orpheus, I suggest using the Advanced Search tool and putting "prince rupert" in quotation marks. You can further restrict the dates down the page (simple dropdown options) if you get too much or too old data.

Given the rarity of PR as a port though, I too would suggest Tripadvisor as a more useful resource. I was actually just browsing it last week myself as we were considering a cruise that included PR as a port!

We were on a cruise which had a Prince Rupert port call in 2013. It is a very friendly community but some passengers on our ship thought it wasn't as "developed" as they would have liked. Personally, as someone who lives in Alaska, it is a plus for me if the port doesn't have another Diamonds International. We had researched the community, and spent a number of hours at the great Museum of Northern British Columbia, followed by a lovely lunch and some shopping at a local artists co-op gallery.

Hello,

Haven't read much about Prince Rupert on the Alaska boards. :confused:

Or maybe I haven't searched right. Is Prince Rupert also very exciting? The reviews I've mostly read have Victoria in them.

Any info would be much helpful or where I can find a review or so.

Thanks,

Marie

You can try going to the tourism website and they have pictures and ideas of activities. http://www.hellobc. is the official BC tourism site, where you can search Prince Rupert.

It is a small community, so very different from Victoria. Most of the communities on the Alaskan cruise are small, but I think others tend to have souvenir and jewelry stores move in for the season. You might find Prince Rupert a bit more real. We haven't been there for years, but they had some cute shops and restaurants at the waterfront.

We sailed on the Norwegian Star stopping in Prince Rupert. small town, not much to do. We walked up to the Safeway and back exploring the little shops in about an hour and 15 minutes. Not very exciting.

Do a shore excursion if possible here.

I live very near Prince Rupert. You will dock in Cow Bay - this is where all the tourist shops are and a few restaurants - excellent fish and chips at Dolly's Fish Market. There is an excellent artists studio with local artisans selling their wares - paintings, jewelry, carvings, and many many more one of a kind items. There is also a small museum with an emphasis on the native culture of the area. Fisherman's park is a good place for small children to burn off some energy. Depending on how long you are in port, if there is a whale watching excursion I would go for that. I've been on several and we always see whales. Later in the season (September??) they may offer Grizzly Bear tours - you stay on the boat and travel to a Grizzly Bear sanctuary. If you want to explore the town a bit be prepared to walk up some very steep hills. The economy in the area is very depressed right now so there are lots of boarded up shops in the downtown but you will find some unique restaurants serving many different kinds of food. Give the mall a miss - not much there at all.

There is a cannery in Port Edward about 15 minutes out of town - likely this will be one of the tours the ships will offer. Very good way to spend a few hours and I believe that in the summer they have the local amateur theatre company do some plays that are included in the price of admission (at least they did about 10 years ago). Even without that, it is still an interesting place to tour.

Edited by CeeCee59
added more info

We sailed on the Norwegian Star stopping in Prince Rupert. small town, not much to do. We walked up to the Safeway and back exploring the little shops in about an hour and 15 minutes. Not very exciting.

Do a shore excursion if possible here.

Thank you :)

I live very near Prince Rupert. You will dock in Cow Bay - this is where all the tourist shops are and a few restaurants - excellent fish and chips at Dolly's Fish Market. There is an excellent artists studio with local artisans selling their wares - paintings, jewelry, carvings, and many many more one of a kind items. There is also a small museum with an emphasis on the native culture of the area. Fisherman's park is a good place for small children to burn off some energy. Depending on how long you are in port, if there is a whale watching excursion I would go for that. I've been on several and we always see whales. Later in the season (September??) they may offer Grizzly Bear tours - you stay on the boat and travel to a Grizzly Bear sanctuary. If you want to explore the town a bit be prepared to walk up some very steep hills. The economy in the area is very depressed right now so there are lots of boarded up shops in the downtown but you will find some unique restaurants serving many different kinds of food. Give the mall a miss - not much there at all.

There is a cannery in Port Edward about 15 minutes out of town - likely this will be one of the tours the ships will offer. Very good way to spend a few hours and I believe that in the summer they have the local amateur theatre company do some plays that are included in the price of admission (at least they did about 10 years ago). Even without that, it is still an interesting place to tour.

Thank you for your input CeeCee:)

There are very interesting things to do after all. Tripadvisor has a lot of information regarding different excursions. The reviews are also positive what I've read.

So thank you once again everyone for your input.

Marie

On the one and only time that I have docked in Prince Rupert - been there by car a few times - a local picked me up and gave me a great local tour and took me to Dolly's Fish and Chips - it's the locals favorite hangout - if my memory serves me correctly it was a big feast of fish and chips and oh so good.

The Cannery is certainly worth while going to visit.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

On the one and only time that I have docked in Prince Rupert - been there by car a few times - a local picked me up and gave me a great local tour and took me to Dolly's Fish and Chips - it's the locals favorite hangout - if my memory serves me correctly it was a big feast of fish and chips and oh so good.

The Cannery is certainly worth while going to visit.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

Thank you Dennis. Noted and good to know :)